AutoPAR losing partial downloads

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

AutoPAR losing partial downloads

Postby vspazv » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:42 am

I downloaded a 2GB file in 50 parts. The first 15 were missing chunks so they were on the HDD as nb2 files. According to QuickPAR I only needed 80 par blocks to rebuild so I expanded the download list, manually selected enough par files, then hit force download.

This is were the bad stuff occurs:
After downloading the first par file it reset the queue status for the partially downloaded files, deleted the first 6 from the drive (connection limit), then began re-downloading them from scratch. I tried pausing all 20 RAR files then it started on the par files again but then after finishing the second par file it deleted the next six nb2 files.

At this point I've lost 12x 50MB files and went from needing 80 par blocks to ~250.

I then try to remove the rar files from the list so it will only download the par files but to my dismay it deletes the ENTIRE LIST. Apparently if a file is added as a group you can't remove individual parts.

So, the things that should be addressed:
1. Have AutoPAR treat the nb2 files as part of the set.
2. Have Newzbin check existing copies of nb2 files before overwriting.
3. Let me force PAR files to the top of the queue in an group download.
4. Let me delete individual files from a group download.
vspazv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/03/03

Re: AutoPAR losing partial downloads

Postby DThor » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:15 am

Always indicate which release you're using. The last couple of releases have significant tweaks to autopar, which could address your problem, or might be causing it.

Just FYI there's an internal version being tested which might just make these issues go away. The goal is that you shouldn't have to be fiddling with manual par downloads.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:05 am

Yeah, doesn't sound like the latest beta.

If the pars are already in the download list, just unpause them.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby vspazv » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:41 am

This was with 6.0b7 876 64-bit
vspazv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:51 am

Yeah, currently partial downloads are re-done. Maybe I'll get it back in B9. If you know it's not likely to complete, you can right click the files, select "Assemble Incompletes" and then force them out to disk.

Calling it an autopar issue sort of threw me off. This has nothing to do with autopar.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby DaveXVI » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:44 pm

DThor wrote:The goal is that you shouldn't have to be fiddling with manual par downloads.
DT

Geez, I hope you guys aren't thinking of making autopar mandatory.

No matter how smart you are, you cannot overcome the stupidity of some of the posters who make their par sets include all kinds of unnecessary files.
DaveXVI
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/23/04

Postby richy99 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:19 pm

DaveXVI wrote:
DThor wrote:The goal is that you shouldn't have to be fiddling with manual par downloads.
DT

Geez, I hope you guys aren't thinking of making autopar mandatory.

No matter how smart you are, you cannot overcome the stupidity of some of the posters who make their par sets include all kinds of unnecessary files.

such as? are you referering to the sfv? nfo etc ?
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:29 pm

I'm not getting this either. You can filter out any files you want after the unrar now too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby vspazv » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:35 am

The problem is because I had restarted newsbin the files were paused and listed as 0 parts downloaded.

I expanded the file list and told it to force download the par files but as soon as the first par file completed it then automatically unpaused the normal files and gave them priority over the par files. This removed the 6x50MB partial files from the disc to redownload them.

There was no way to assemble incompletes because newsbin didn't keep track of the complete portion after restart.

I either want newsbin to not unpause portions of a file I have specifically stopped or at least when I click 'download-bypass filters' it should be moved to a different priority list.
vspazv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:28 am

Not really getting this. In B8, it downloads the first chunk of each file, validates that the file exists on disk and then doesn't download any more of it. You did make me think of a potential problem though. What happens if the PAR file renames the downloaded file. I'll have to think about that. That probably messes up the "download first chunk and check" logic.

You're trying to micromanage something that's intended to be automated.

This area had changed significantly in B9 so, it's hard to say if it's an issue any more.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby DaveXVI » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Quade wrote:

I'm not getting this either. You can filter out any files you want after the unrar now too.

Here I thought you guys were sick of me explaining this, and it turns out you have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about posters who, for example, screw up and somehow include a bunch of par files as required files. In other words, somebody posts a 4GB DVD and includes 10% pars, or 400MB of pars. But when he was creating the pars, he forgot to include a cover photo or something, so he added that and then recreated the pars, forgetting to delete the first set of pars, so now the 400MB of pars are included as required files in the new par2 file. So after Newsbin downloads the complete, perfect file, it still thinks it's 400MB short, because that's what the par2 file is telling it, so it downloads another 400MB that is not needed.

If that's never happened to you, you're lucky. It's happened to me several times. And that's when Newsbin is doing everything right.

My ISP (the only one in town) has a daily bandwidth quota, so stuff like that prevents me from downloading something else that day.

So no matter how perfect you make Newsbin, you can't prevent it from downloading unwanted pars. That's why I keep asking for a switch, or nbi file line, to let me turn off the part that automatically downloads par files when Newsbin thinks it is short of blocks.

Right now what I have to do (with V5) is delete the pars out of the par tab as soon as Newsbin puts them there, so I can use the autopar tab to track the progress of a download without having to worry that Newsbin is going to download a bunch of files I don't want. If a file is short of blocks, I want to decide myself what to do about it. Sometimes it's a case like the example I just gave, where the file is really complete, but the par2 file is wrong. Sometimes it's such a crappy upload that there aren't enough par files to fix it, so there is no point in downloading any par files.

The V6 beta I tried is unusable for me, because it puts the par files in the download list, and I can't delete them without deleting the whole file. When I was testing it, I had autopar turned off most of the time. One time I turned it on so I could see what somebody was talking about in the properties list, and it immediately downloaded a bunch of unneeded par files for a file that was in progress at the time.

You can filter out any files you want after the unrar now too.

I know I can't dissuade you from spending weeks and weeks on all these tweaks to autopar that I will never use, but jesus god I wish I could get you to take an hour to put in a switch to turn off the automatic par downloads.
DaveXVI
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:29 pm

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with what the OP is talking about. By trying to re-add the pars from the post list, that were probably already in the download list just needing to be unpaused, he reset the download on some of his files. The bug might be that it shouldn't reset the download on partially downloaded files.

I know I can't dissuade you from spending weeks and weeks on all these tweaks to autopar that I will never use, but jesus god I wish I could get you to take an hour to put in a switch to turn off the automatic par downloads.

My answer is to revert to 5.59. Then keep an eye on the release notes for additions to the 6 beta. It's on the list. Who knows when I'll get to it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby DaveXVI » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:13 pm

Quade wrote:This doesn't seem to have anything to do with what the OP is talking about.

Correct. I was addressing DThor's response, where he said, "The goal is that you shouldn't have to be fiddling with manual par downloads." I get very nervous at any hint that you are going to make Newsbin less configurable.

My answer is to revert to 5.59. Then keep an eye on the release notes for additions to the 6 beta. It's on the list. Who knows when I'll get to it.

Great, I'm glad to hear that I misinterpreted DThor's comment.
DaveXVI
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:09 pm

Dthor's comments were correct for the OP's problem. It's likely already solved.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support