Version 6 Beta 8 Available...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Version 6 Beta 8 Available...

Postby dexter » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:48 pm

This one has a fair number of new features and bug fixes. I'll list a few here but the release notes are worth reading to catch everything
Summary:

• Fixed a crash bug if a post list was closed in the middle of a header import.
  • Fixed issue deleting a large number of posts from the post list. Not all were getting deleted.
  • Header downloads now trigger real-time update of any incomplete files in the Download list.
  • Added the ability to lock the GUI so you don't accidentally drag any tabs around. It's the lock button on the toolbar.
  • Fixed a couple of issues with accented characters (non English)
  • Hooked up the selection counter on the Status bar. To the left of the Pause and Speed Limit indicators.
There were a fair number of small bug fixes I don't list here. More details are on the Newsbin Beta Page and in the text release notes that are available to you after the installer completes the upgrade.

The wiki buglist reflects current known issues and the list of fixed issues. This does not include inter-release issues that are found and addressed on the IRC channel.

The download link is on the Newsbin Beta Page
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Version 6 Beta 8 Available...

Postby neilt0 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Files completely downloaded no longer hang out in the Download list if AutoPAR is disabled.

Thanks for adding this feature!

However, with AutoPar disabled, the .par2 file is not downloaded first and the queue doesn't let you move it to the top. When I disable Autopar, it's when I'm downloading something large (45GB) and I want Quickpar to Monitor the rars. Not having the .par2 downloaded first makes this difficult.
neilt0
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/07/03

Postby magician1962 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:52 pm

Servers Tab
Previously reported as viewtopic.php?f=44&t=27996

Select a Server
Right click server -> Server options
Server Options widow, is not focused on selected server, in fact its not focused on any server

If you right click on the general backgroud, the top most server has focus
magician1962
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/21/10

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:14 pm

When I disable Autopar, it's when I'm downloading something large (45GB) and I want Quickpar to Monitor the rars.

I'll think about it. I assume no autopar means download whatever's placed in the download list. For now, you can expand and add a single par before adding the rest of the set. Maybe when autopar is disabled, I should split the pars out and add them above the file set. Why not just keep autopar turned on and then disable "Unrar"?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby neilt0 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Quade wrote:
When I disable Autopar, it's when I'm downloading something large (45GB) and I want Quickpar to Monitor the rars.

I'll think about it. I assume no autopar means download whatever's placed in the download list. For now, you can expand and add a single par before adding the rest of the set. Maybe when autopar is disabled, I should split the pars out and add them above the file set. Why not just keep autopar turned on and then disable "Unrar"?

> For now, you can expand and add a single par before adding the rest of the set.
I don't understand this.

> Why not just keep autopar turned on and then disable "Unrar"?
When disabling Autopar, it's for a good reason. If you have a 45GB download that has significantly damaged RARs, you don't necessarily want it to be repaired using available PARs. This is because you may end up with a par repair that takes hours. In this case, you may wait for reposts, or attempt to retry the rars later if it's a recent post that hadn't fully propagated.
I'll often also start downloading files from a large set before they've finished uploading -- if the uploader takes 3 hours to upload and I take 5 hours to download, if I start downloading when he's 2 hours in, there's no time wasted waiting for the files to complete. Many of us in certain groups do this.

By disabling Autopar, it allows you to use an external app like Quickpar that only scans each file once and lets the user stay in control of the process by adding files to be downloaded arbitrarily.

It's rare that I'll not use automation for paring and unraring, but it's one of the reasons I used Newsbin 5.x so often, as it was probably the best client for letting me decide what to do with the download at the file level -- moving pars up and down the download list, adding new rars etc. I miss that functionality, as do others who have posted here.

I think it's great to have each file collection grouped and compacted, but it would be even better to have the flexibility of individual file manipulation -- the best of both worlds.
neilt0
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:29 pm

If you're doing that adding from a post list, expand what you're adding and then you can add individual files. If you use NZB's you can do the same thing but, you need to load the NZB into a post list.

Expand means click the arrow on the left and see the details of the set. You can add individual files that way. You don't have to add the entire set in one block.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby magician1962 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:53 am

Newsbin Options->Filename Options

Copy Style Rename

When a duplicate filename is found rename using
Copy(X) of XXX. The other way uses a number to "FILL IN THE BLANK"

Though it may be being truncated
magician1962
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/21/10

Postby neilt0 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:00 am

Quade wrote:If you're doing that adding from a post list, expand what you're adding and then you can add individual files. If you use NZB's you can do the same thing but, you need to load the NZB into a post list.

Expand means click the arrow on the left and see the details of the set. You can add individual files that way. You don't have to add the entire set in one block.

Can I move par files up and down in an NZB collection?
neilt0
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby itimpi » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:01 am

neilt0 wrote:Can I move par files up and down in an NZB collection?

If you mean within a compacted entry within the Download list, then the answer is no.

If you want to control individual files in the Download list in is way, then you need to add them as individual files in the first place.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby kenr » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:09 am

The sorting has been "retrograded", you fixed a while ago the use of quotes (") in front of the post but it is back placed at the start of the list.
So now we have
"I am a stupid poster who uses quotes"
"Simple minds 123"
"This is a file"
A file
file b
Simple minds 234

instead of
A file
file b
"This is a file"
"I am a stupid poster who uses quotes"
"Simple minds 123"
Simple minds 234

Still can't get the gui to fix the positions of the tabs under Wine :|
kenr
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/13/03

Postby Andreas » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:55 am

In the status row, Newsbin says that I have 7350.78 TB of data waiting to download in the download list. This is certainly not true. It might be 30 or 40 GB but not 7350.78 TB. The calculated time to finish current downloads is also much too high (16 days).
Andreas
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/11/10

Postby Quade » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:07 am

Yeah, it freaks out from time to time. I haven't caught it in the act yet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Edward » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:07 am

Minor error on the bèta-page.

Changes in this version:

Version 6.00 Beta 8 Build 876, April 2, 2011

Isn't it supposed to be: Build 892?
Newsbin Pro 6.71 build 4766 priority: 1. Easynews 2. Astraweb 3. Bulknews 1500
Edward
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/15/03

Postby richy99 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:44 am

yeah just a typo
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby Edward » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:35 pm

richy99 wrote:yeah just a typo

Nice if you make a notice of the new build and that site takes over the typo ;)
Newsbin Pro 6.71 build 4766 priority: 1. Easynews 2. Astraweb 3. Bulknews 1500
Edward
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/15/03

Postby Semel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:18 pm

So im asking again..

Do i need to set autoassemble=1 in INI to have autoassemble of incompletes enabled or not.
And if yes then why it is not set to 1 as default.(considering that auto assemble supposedly works now)
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/25/09

Postby bd baker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:26 pm

The GUI-Lock is a nice feature, but I am still able to inadvertently close my Download List tab by clicking the little "x" even with GUI-Lock activitated. When I re-open my Download List tab, it comes up at the far right rather than at the far left where I like it. I then have to unlock the GUI to move it to its original location.
bd baker
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/31/04

Postby DThor » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:42 pm

Well, there was talk about optionally allowing removal of the 'x', but really, 'locking' the GUI should absolutely *not* be affecting the tab close widget. Tabs are dynamic things that you want to open and close at will. The GUI is more about basic pane layout.

Last time I checked, locked GUI didn't affect sliding the tabs around either. <checks> oops, yup, you're right, that is locked. At one point internally you could lock the GUI but still slide tabs around. I rather liked that, again I see the basic GUI layout as the 1/2/3 pane area system, what gets put where. Once there, you should be able to reorder things anytime. Moving them *off* the pane area was...the pain, for me, and that's why GUI lock was good.

I don't mind the 'x' being gone as an option. Quade may still be planning that, just didn't get to it.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Do i need to set autoassemble=1

Naw, that field is ignored now. It's supposed to auto-assemble at 48 hours old (from the time it was posted) and a couple retries by default. Some people reported that 430 errors don't trigger "Incomplete so assemble mode" though. I suspect they're correct so, currently autoassemble only works on files that have black bars, not red.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mho » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:20 am

dexter wrote:[*]Added the ability to lock the GUI so you don't accidentally drag any tabs around. It's the lock button on the toolbar.

I just tried this feature and found that it does less than I expected. Even if locked, it's possible to unpin tabs and also to drag dividers.

I would expect that opening and closing tabs were allowed (or, better yet, only post lists tabs!), but no other changes.

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby richy99 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:38 am

it should stop you from being able to drag elements about and from moving something fromtop to left or right for example
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support