Corrupt archives

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Corrupt archives

Postby Sandman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:39 am

I noticed that Newsbin fails to do anything when an archive is corrupt and par2 files will not detect it or fix it. Here lately U4A has had a lot of corrupt uploads and par2s can't fix it. Maybe add a check and display a message if archive is corrupt?
Sandman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/07/08

Re: Corrupt archives

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:17 am

How's it supposed to know?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby richy99 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:32 am

do you mean crc errors?
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby Sandman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:21 am

richy99 wrote:do you mean crc errors?

Yea. Newsbin would just sit there and do nothing with the files even though the status was showing "downloaded". It still showed the files in the download tab section. I assumed it tried to extract the files and couldn't because of crc errors and didn't know what to do afterwards.

Quade wrote:How's it supposed to know?

Sort of smartass remark but I will bite, how does IDK Winrar know? How am I suppose to know? I didn't program the thing.
Sandman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby richy99 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:29 am

the par file gets checked and shows its ok to extract newsbin attempts to extarct, the crc causes it to fail to unpack, i would have thought there would be something in the logging tab to show this, it is left in the download list for the user to decide on what to do with it e.g try a manual intervention or just delete it from the list

if you have autopar turned on and something is in the list that shows complete then you can generally assume theres a problem with it and it will need manual action
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Sandman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:39 am

richy99 wrote:the par file gets checked and shows its ok to extract newsbin attempts to extarct, the crc causes it to fail to unpack, i would have thought there would be something in the logging tab to show this, it is left in the download list for the user to decide on what to do with it e.g try a manual intervention or just delete it from the list

if you have autopar turned on and something is in the list that shows complete then you can generally assume theres a problem with it and it will need manual action

I understand that something is wrong with it. It just sits there and does nothing, obviously something is wrong. I was putting forth a suggestion to make Newsbin more vocal to what is it is doing or tried to do. But hey, if you guys don't want suggestions, then I will stop giving them.
Sandman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:41 pm

Did you disable the popup windows message that reports errors?

My comment was serious. How is Newsbin supposed to know that the rars are going to end up corrupt when the PAR file says they're ok?

Lets say it downloads everything, validates or repairs the files and the PAR file says they're perfect but, they won't unrar (it'll say as much in the logging tab). What then? It reports this error in the logs and in the popup window.

I noticed that Newsbin fails to do anything when an archive is corrupt and par2 files will not detect it or fix it. Here lately U4A has had a lot of corrupt uploads and par2s can't fix it.

You're sure this isn't just your PC?

PM me an example and I can try it, nothing too big please. 4 gigs is about my limit.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby richy99 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:55 pm

Sandman wrote:
richy99 wrote:the par file gets checked and shows its ok to extract newsbin attempts to extarct, the crc causes it to fail to unpack, i would have thought there would be something in the logging tab to show this, it is left in the download list for the user to decide on what to do with it e.g try a manual intervention or just delete it from the list

I understand that something is wrong with it. It just sits there and does nothing, obviously something is wrong. I was putting forth a suggestion to make Newsbin more vocal to what is it is doing or tried to do. But hey, if you guys don't want suggestions, then I will stop giving them.

but thats what the logging tab is for and the popup, do you want something more in your face sort of thing?
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Sandman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:57 pm

Quade wrote:Did you disable the popup windows message that reports errors?

My comment was serious. How is Newsbin supposed to know that the rars are going to end up corrupt when the PAR file says they're ok?

Lets say it downloads everything, validates or repairs the files and the PAR file says they're perfect but, they won't unrar (it'll say as much in the logging tab). What then? It reports this error in the logs and in the popup window.

There was no pop up window and the option is checked. Winrar, which i used to unrar the archive since Newsbin wasn't doing it, did a pop up window saying 2 of the rar's are corrupt, crc. This is the kind of pop up window I am talking about. I usually do other things while Winrar extracts the archive and not intently watching the progress bar while it is crawling along.

You're sure this isn't just your PC?

Yes I am.

PM me an example and I can try it, nothing too big please. 4 gigs is about my limit.

It is a DVD5, roughly 4.4GB. Too big?
Sandman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support