AutoPAR doesn't repair automatically ??

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

AutoPAR doesn't repair automatically ??

Postby bruce73 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:03 am

OK, my latest issue with AutoPAR with b8: I have a small .avi files with one part incomplete. It's just sitting in the download list (green progress bar), with the parset on pause. Shouldn't AutoPAR be triggered to repair? I finally chose to Assemble Incompletes and AutoPar kicked in.

Shouldn't this happen automatically?
bruce73
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/23/04

Re: AutoPAR doesn't repair automatically ??

Postby richy99 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:21 am

how old is the file? is it a black part or a red 430 error? i think theres an issue if it is a 430 error and it only auto assembles on true incomplete (black) parts
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby bruce73 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:48 pm

Not sure I understand the difference (black = not on server; 430 = can't connect -- ??). The file was just posted in the last 24 hours. I checked Properties of the file in the Download List, and it said one part was missing (I should have check the CHUNKS folder to see if any pieces of it had downloaded, but didn't think to do that).
bruce73
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby richy99 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:01 am

its less than 24 hours old and it was giving a server doesnt have this post it will only assemble after the file is 48 hours old and there was an issue with it delivering 430 errors and retries
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby bruce73 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:54 am

OK, thanks for the info.
bruce73
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby jondough » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:18 pm

I have files, new and old that stay listed because there are incompletes. Is there any way to over ride the 48 hour without manually going in and setting those files for assemble incompletes? Can you do the whole list which would be easier then individual files which I have been doing. Do Option Retries affect this as is set at three but seems to keep retrying [for the 48 hours?] and tying things up. If you do the assemble incompletes will it automatically go to downloading and rebuilding from PARs?
jondough
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:35 am

You can select them all and "Assemble Incompletes" at any time.

You can change how long it waits before it assembles incompletes too.

B9 will retry one time, and then assemble if the files are older than the assemble incompletes timer.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby jondough » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Thanks Quade,
I should have stated that I am on B8.
The files are over 400 days old, and despite having retries set at three, they just keep hunting over and over, slowing any other real DL down.
As soon as I do Assemble incompletes, they do what you would expect immediately.

Well almost, I now have a download directory that has duplicated all the files and is now looking for twice as many to complete. I manually forced UnRAR/Join and it then worked and deleted the dups. I have a pix if helpful.

I do notice that once you do this, they all got back to the top of the list. Is this to make them process before new DLs. Could this be selectable?

I also noticed that if the first block of a segment is missing on the initial check, it will download that segment[s] but stops downloading of the whole rest of the file. And it keeps checking. Could this be because PARs were not present in the directory or would it happen anyway. I will get the PARs and recheck.

I do not see any place to change the Assby. Inc. Settings in B8.

I will check B9 now. Is there any way in the Betas to put in a direct link to new Betas. Only Beta users would have that.
jondough
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby richy99 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:09 pm

that woudl mean dex updating the motd every time theres a new version, might be abit much if new builds come out quite quickly, why not jsut book the downlaod page ?
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:10 pm

If it's not B9 then it's not something I'm going to look at. Every B moving forward has significant changes to how assembly works.

You have to hand edit the NBI file in order to change the default Assemblytimer. Still, it sounds like this is mostly an issue in B8 that's already resolved in B9.

Dex does update the MOTD and now announces on Twitter but, the MOTD announcement only happens after we determine the new B is in good shape.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jondough » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Now on B9.
I have a new file that is 680 days old, has a couple of dozen scattered incompletes and it is sitting there going over and over attempts after about an hour, as before. Manually activated Assemble Incompletes and it seems to work as I would expect.

On loading B9, it deleted any files previously downloaded, partially or fully. I think you said with the changes, this would happen?

I see the assembly items in nbi but do not know what to change. The nbi is really pretty straight forward, and I even just picked up the whole Newsbin directory and put it somewhere else and the upgrade found it and everything is in the nbi so it was good.
jondough
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Right now I'm going to say you're only one reporting this in B9. That lack of assembly that is. It suggests the auto-assemble timer is already set in your NBI and set to infinite (or very large).

[Settings]
AutoAssembleTimer = N

N is hours. If it's not there, it's 48 hours. I recommend not setting it less than 8 hours. If you set it too short you can cause corrupt files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jondough » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:53 am

Quade,
Thanks, I am not a code writer, but have adjusted enough different codes to keep up since the 70s. I am less than dangerous. I do appreciate your attention and that Newsbin keeps at it, making it better. I hope that after years of happy use, I can help make it better too.

This is what it shows, both before & after moving to B9b899

AssemblePrio=1
AutoAssemble=0
AutoOLD=1
AutoSave=0
AutosaveInterval=10

So Timer was and is not there. Will add. Can you fractionalize these 'hour' units. Also, notice in your Settings line in response, there are spaces before and after =. Is this for syntax OK ? [removed them anyway for consistency]
Maybe because Auto Assemble is 0 it is never auto assembling? Thinking a 1 would activate, found no difference.
How does retries play with auto assemble? It is obviously having no effect as it continually retries [have watched log].

After closing and reopening Newsbin, program deleted record and actual of existing files, set all new initial file [first block] then decided all files were complete but all files were only first block size. Ran PAR and confirmed. Directory overwrote full files and some with missing blocks and now only listed intial block.

Besides watching colors, is there an easy way to know what is happening to files? could there be a small meter with colors indicating what the program is doing actively?

I use newshosting for primary and astraweb for fill. I did find astraweb not set up properly on this new computer and now is working and filling in most of the bad blocks. This will practically help me, but not help find anything in program solutions.

While writing this, another download completed, everything else is paused, but the download is just sitting. Is it sitting, waiting for completes or what. No way to know, so click Assemble completes. Nothing. Do QuickPar check, files left from earlier are all at base block size. So select those files and try Retry Download to no change. Select Bypass Filters and try Retry again. No indication of anything going on. Waiting. Still not full downloads. Selected incomplete files, created new .nzb and tried to run Bypassing Filters with nothing created anywhere. Deleted short files from DL directory and tried several other things to no avail. Cannot seem to DL original files. Finally downloaded to new directory and inserted files but had to do manual compile.

It seems that there may be a problem after opening and closing that reverts files back to only first block and then indicates all downloaded.

When a file is 001 type, nothing happens. I know it is not WinRAR compatible but can 7-zip be called as an alternative through a popup.

I had thought about doing a complete new install but have not seen any way to do that, once it sees an installation, it will either over-install or needs to quit. Change directory would be helpful. My just copying directory to another place did not work as installer just installed in original directory. After exploring, I am still not sure what an uninstall will do and leave the important files.

When downloading to existing folders, seems to want to create something file-ish instead of just dropping in existing folder.

When a file is 001 format, and WinRAR does not decode, is there any way to setup 7-zip [ or ?]as an accessible alternative without manually going to directory.

Sorry in fatigue, got somewhat OT but then it all relates to downloads.

I am running out of energy a while back and will try more in 20 or so hours, after work.

Let me know what you may need to help. Thanks.
jondough
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:07 am

If you expand the set, you can see more details about the download. Click the arrow thingy.

AssemblePrio=1
AutoAssemble=0
AutoOLD=1
AutoSave=0
AutosaveInterval=10

AutoOld is probably the only one that's still being used.

It doesn't sound like you're running B9. B9 saves partial downloads on exit and restores them when you restart.

It seems that there may be a problem after opening and closing that reverts files back to only first block and then indicates all downloaded.

This is normal. It's verifying that the file is still on disk.

Newsbin handles .001,.002 files automatically. It assembles them. All of your symptoms point to partial and incomplete files in the download list that never finish. In a case where you have some incomplete files and you have pars, you can always right click and "Assemble incompletes" and let the pars repair the file. With a good server, 99% of the files should be complete within the first couple days.

In some testing in a large group, only 13 out of 347 sets were incomplete on Giganews and I was told the issue with the incompletes was that the posting robot had died. So, that means it's not even a giganews issue. I think it sounds like you're dumping a bunch of downloads into the download list. Why not do one, see how it acts, see if manual assembly solves it and then try to figure out why you've got incomplete files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support