nntp ssl socket error

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

nntp ssl socket error

Postby jaimeson winstead » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:47 am

I'm having trouble with the latest build of newsbin b09... I installed the program.... let it automatically change my video. while I'm downloading the new headers from giganews It keeps deleting my download files.... I've installed the program on my 500 gb laptop with windows 7, I've also side by side installed it on my windows xp 3TB desktop pc.... the desktop pc does not delete the download files (header files from giganews) I've not tried other types of downloads yet.... wanted to get all my headers first.... It gets frustrating when newsbin deletes all the headers in the list.
O and I wasnt' sure to create a new thread or not I did see the other thread that reported it was for confirmed errors only.

following are my pc (laptop spec's) and the log screen...
Either: Christianity. Erradicting more interesting Religions for more when 2000 years! - or - Knowledge is Power! Power Corrupts! Study Hard! Be Evil!
jaimeson winstead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/23/03

Re: nntp ssl socket error

Postby DThor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:49 am

Will need to get the terminology straight, if it's downloading headers, what has that to do with files? It's not clear to me what you're describing. My first guess is you've got some sort of firewall/antivirus that's interfering. Disable all that and see if it makes a difference.

let it automatically change my video

? Why would it be doing that?

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby jaimeson winstead » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:59 am

a) I have to download the headers/subject files from giganews before I download the any files.... but your program keeps deleting the files located in the download list upon YOUR ssl error....

b) I'm running zone alarm on two pc's here.... my laptop and my desktop.... my desktop has NOT had a problem at all, not so with my other computer. It keeps deleting the download list in your download description list.... both pc's were upgraded with the same B09.... my win7 with the 64 bit version and the winxp with the 32 bit version.... the 32 bit version seems stable and has not ever stopped downloading the header/subject files....

c) your program asks upon installation if the GUI wants to be updated with the latest one... I automatically said yes... that's what I ment....
Either: Christianity. Erradicting more interesting Religions for more when 2000 years! - or - Knowledge is Power! Power Corrupts! Study Hard! Be Evil!
jaimeson winstead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:22 pm

Haha...it's not my program, dude. I'm an end-user, just like you.

Sadly, you've made nothing clearer.

a) ok, you're using headers, so we can ignore the header issue, yes? You're talking about files, right? Not headers? 'deleting files in the download list' - you know that Newsbin will download files and then rename them once complete, right? You *will* see files being created and renamed. So let's do this one thing at a time, without naming specific content. You see a post. You want it. You double click it, right? it adds. starts downloading. then what?

b) ok, I'd keep it in mind, though. The vast majority of slow, incomplete dloads, fractured files and other problems are caused by antivirus. Anytime you have troubles, it doesn't matter where you already have it installed(different systems, different config), try completely disabling and see if it helps.

c. If you mean *reset* the GUI, yes.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby jaimeson winstead » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:37 pm

what do you call this list.... these are the files it keeps deleting after 20 minutes... and my zonealarm suite properties has news bin at its highest allow settings....

jaimeson winstead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:00 pm

I must admit I am confused as well! The screen shot relates to headers - not files.

If you simply mean that the entries are being removed from the Download list, then this is expected behavior if an error occurs while trying to download headers.

If you are saying that headers are not getting saved properly then that is a different problem. The most likely cause is that is a permissions issue on the Newsbin DATA folder, or some sort of disk corruption that is stopping the spool files being saved.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby jaimeson winstead » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:10 pm

yes... the entries are being removed from the download list.... it doe not seem to not save the entries...
meaning I don't have to redownload all the headers again, just the remaining entries on the list.

the 32 bit version has never removed entries from the download list and only removes them the header download is complete.
the 64 bit version however has worked differently then the 32 bit version and removies the entries....

which becomes a pain the the behind when I have to restart the download process again and again and again....
jaimeson winstead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby richy99 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:21 pm

your connection is failing somewhere as you have those errors i woudl be incined to thinmk its antivirus/firewall issues or possibly a dodgy connection itself with maybe the router or your isp
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby jaimeson winstead » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:32 pm

I'm not sure It would be the router... might be.... it's the new netgear wndr3700 dual band wireless router... the better one they had....
the 802.11 a/n 5ghz in addition to the 801.11 b/g/n 2.4 ghz
but.... the 32bit version desktop is using the wired part of the router and has never had a problem....
but.... the 64 bit version laptop is using the wireless part of the router and sitting within 4 feet of the router and well... I'm reporting this like a good betatester....
jaimeson winstead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:03 pm

As far as I know all versions of Newsbin have removed header downloads from the Download list if errors occurred while downloading the headers. Perhaps this has been noticed before as you were not previously getting errors?
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby DThor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:20 pm

I know you've decided Avast has nothing to do with it, but I'm telling you, I would say about 80% of posts end up being just that. Setting it to it's 'highest setting' isn't turning it off. Try actually disabling it(some require system restarts afterwards) and see if you still have troubles.

Your reporting is appreciated, but all we can do is try to ascertain exactly what's going on and suggest methods for testing from afar.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby jaimeson winstead » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:21 pm

I do not use avast.... I use the zone alarm security suite....
with newsbin set at super trusted.
jaimeson winstead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby jaimeson winstead » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:03 pm

well.... I took your suggestion.... I closed zone alarm security suite.... no firewall running (software).... router firewall still effective.... no antivirus running..... nothing....
and still the came up with the socket error and the computer removed the entries the error was 0:991 although in a earlier dump i saw error 9:991.....

all the while my zone alarm security suite is running on my other computer that is running the 32bit newsbin with no trouble at all.
jaimeson winstead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:23 pm

It has to be uninstalled and then you need to reboot in order to really get rid of it. Virus scanners are like viruss in that they're hard to stop other than removing them.

You say it works on one machine but, not the other. The answer this is either the machine or the configuration. It Newsbin's the same in both places I don't see how you can think it's a
Newsbin problem.

I'd try turning off SSL and changing the "Port" in the server options to "80" then restarting Newsbin and see if the symptoms change. Zone alarm used to be one of the worst for messing with downloading. Avast has the crown now though.

The SSL error suggests something outside of Newsbin is stepping on the connection. I can tell you I run exactly the same configuration to giganews with 20 connections and no virus scanner or firewall and I don't get these errors. So, it should be possible for you to get rid of these errors too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mho » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:21 pm

jaimeson winstead wrote:I'm not sure It would be the router... might be.... it's the new netgear wndr3700 dual band wireless router... the better one they had....
the 802.11 a/n 5ghz in addition to the 801.11 b/g/n 2.4 ghz
but.... the 32bit version desktop is using the wired part of the router and has never had a problem....
but.... the 64 bit version laptop is using the wireless part of the router and sitting within 4 feet of the router and well... I'm reporting this like a good betatester....

Try connecting the 64-bit machine to the wire. Wireless is not reliable for heavy traffic...

Also, I suggest you start by downloading header for _one_ group (preferably a smallish one!) before trying to update all at once. If you cannot get one header update to complete, it's rather pointless to try all (the number of connections) at once.

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Try connecting the 64-bit machine to the wire. Wireless is not reliable for heavy traffic...

QFT. Wireless and usenet don't really get along.

The question might be if any of the header data makes it to disk. If not, then this suggests a permissions problem. If you brought the NBI file from say an XP box over to a Win7 box, you'll get permissions problems because the user folders changed between the versions.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jaimeson winstead » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:49 pm

I tried your suggestion.... completely uninstalled, wiped the registry and reinstalled the program....

Still get the error.... 9:991.....

O and until this build.... I didn't have a problem with wireless....
I could list download files to download for the next 36 hours straight before this and It did not error out under the prior build.
O and first thing, tried the one dowload also... nada...
jaimeson winstead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Lets be clear. It's works on one machine and doesn't work on the other? Is that correct? The same version in both locations?

If this is the case, the most important thing is what's the difference between the two machines.

Exit Newsbin. If you're running win7 on the broken machine, right click the shortcut that starts it, select "Run as Administrator" and try a header download on a single group.

My theory right now is that Newsbin is trying to write the header data to disk, fails but keeps trying till you get the socket error.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jaimeson winstead » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:46 pm

quade.... Ive been running computers/mainframe's since I was in the navy in 1977.... My first OS was MSDOS 4.0
I've been betatesting programs and upgrading computers since the middle 80's....
I know how to give and gave my self administrator access.... tyvm.

and it is writing header data to the disk.... It does not have to restart the download of the headers from the beginning.... just from where it left off...
jaimeson winstead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby mho » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:51 pm

jaimeson winstead wrote:quade.... Ive been running computers/mainframe's since I was in the navy in 1977.... My first OS was MSDOS 4.0
I've been betatesting programs and upgrading computers since the middle 80's....
I know how to give and gave my self administrator access.... tyvm.

and it is writing header data to the disk.... It does not have to restart the download of the headers from the beginning.... just from where it left off...

If you try to be somewhat clearer about what is _actually_ _happening_, it will get a little easier to help you:-)

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:56 pm

I guess there's nothing more I can do then.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby nzzz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:53 pm

Maybe it could be interference.

Option #1 Change router channel.
Option #2 Use a directly wired connection.

Try to Drop to 1 server/1 connection and increase slowly as needed.

Remove Antivirus/Firewall (and other possible interfering programs)
and rebooting if things still don't work.

Also, you don't need to use images to show logging.
Try selecting lines and use Ctrl-C or, right click and use "Copy to Clipboard"
then paste with Ctrl-V or Shift-Insert into your message.
nzzz
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/11/05

Postby Mobius » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:34 am

I have the same SSL socket error problem. Using AstraWeb. Started since beta 9. I am not on wireless. Windows 7 x64. 12GB RAM.

[02:26:04] ERROR InterSocket - SSL Connection Failed: 10060 - Line: 543
[02:28:04] ERROR Socket - Error: SSL Socket Error Code: 0:991
[02:28:04] ERROR ssl-us.astraweb.com - Unable to read Greetings from Server: Socket - Read From Server Failed
[02:30:14] ERROR InterSocket - SSL Connection Failed: 10060 - Line: 543
Mobius
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/18/09

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:57 am

Dex suggested using port 443 with SSL to someone and that solved this problem for him. You might want to try that. Change the port in the SSL options, then restart Newsbin.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support