changing back to version 5.9

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

changing back to version 5.9

Postby PHARMER » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:02 am

I want to change back to version 5.9. from ver 6.0b9 - do I have to re-register or will the download recognize my registration. I have never gone backwards with downloads only upgrades so I want to be sure before I hit the button.

My reason for going back to a previous version is that I do not get the high speed header downloads in version 6 like I did with version 5.9. The speed in Ver. 6 is limited to my cable speed of 12 to 13 Mb but while using 5.9 I get header download speeds of 40Mb, 50Mb with burst much higher. Have tried setting my master server to GigaNews with NewsHosting as slave and visa-versa with no difference.

I like the new format but will wait until everything settles down, I get my window set up but have to start over every time I start up my computer even though I lock the display. I watched those instructional videos posted on twitter several times but am still having problems.
PHARMER
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/07/06

Re: changing back to version 5.9

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:07 am

You ought to be able to just install 5.59. What server are you using?

I get my window set up but have to start over every time I start up my computer even though I lock the display.

This suggests Newsbin can't write to the data folder. Seen reports of this with Linux users but, not windows.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby itimpi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:35 am

PHARMER wrote:My reason for going back to a previous version is that I do not get the high speed header downloads in version 6 like I did with version 5.9. The speed in Ver. 6 is limited to my cable speed of 12 to 13 Mb but while using 5.9 I get header download speeds of 40Mb, 50Mb with burst much higher. Have tried setting my master server to GigaNews with NewsHosting as slave and visa-versa with no difference.

There is no reason this should be any slower with v6. Have you checked that you have not got the option to disable X-Features set for the server in question (this would disable the header compression).
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:43 am

I have a theory about that, the he's using a server that doesn't support XFeatures but, does support SSL compression.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby itimpi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:19 am

Possibly, but Giganews and newshosting were mentioned and I thought they both supported X-Features?
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby PHARMER » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:59 am

My servers are Giganews and NewsHosting. I had header compression before upgrading to Beta 6. I have tried each server as master with the other server as slave. I have tried each server with the x-features enabled and disabled in the server options window. I have tried each server by itself with the other server disabled.
I have even tried using both servers as master with one as X-feature enabled and the other disabled, and visa versa.
I was perfectly happy with the speeds that the headers downloaded until you guys spoiled me with the blazing speeds that you created with header compression.
I have tried everything but uninstalling NewsbinPro and starting all over from scratch. I am running on Charter cable with internet d/l speed of 13.5 Mb. my OS is Windows 7 and 6 GB memory.
PHARMER
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:30 am

I get speeds up to 450 Mbps to giganews on my 100 mbps connection with 6 so, I'm skeptical this is a general problem in 6.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby PHARMER » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:49 am

Quade,
I agree that it is not a general problem with version 6. I also had about five times my internet speed when downloading headers on ver 5.9.
The problem is apparently all mine because there are not a bunch of people flooding the forum with questions about header compression.
I only know that I have not had any serious problems for the five years that I have been using Newsbin, but since upgrading to ver 6 I do not get header compression anymore. All the previous upgrades have retained my settings and the upgrades have been seamless, I was able to use the program with no action on my part or need to redo the setup.
I realize that you are probably working full time on this upgrade. I am only one user, which is why I would go back to Ver 5.9 which did have header compression for my system instead of wasting your time with my problem with Ver 6
PHARMER
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby PHARMER » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:26 pm

Problem resolved after reinstalling Newsbin and now have header compression.
I disabled Newshosting server then installed current build of Ver 6.9.
I am not going to mess with anything to try and find out what the problem was because it is working now.
I may have been zapped by a power spike or truck with bad spark plug passing by during the last setup
Sorry for any inconvenience that I have caused.
AND Thanks for being there - Keep up the good work
PHARMER
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm happy you're happy.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b