Difficulty managing 2 downloads.

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Difficulty managing 2 downloads.

Postby jcvmw » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:40 am

I was trying to download 2 files one right after the other, but I had them in line in the download descriptions list. Newsbin kept closing one on me by putting it on pause and downloading the file after it. I didn't think it was anything in the way I had my setting, but it was not the way I wanted Newsbin to download the files.

Do you have an answer for this?
jcvmw
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/17/10

Re: Difficulty managing 2 downloads.

Postby itimpi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:26 am

Do you mean two files or two file sets?

If the former, then it can depend on how fast the first chunk of the file came down as Newsbin does not start downloading remaining chunks until that has completed.

if the latter, then Newsbin initially pauses averything except the small PAR2 and does not unpause the remaining files and start downloading until the PAR2 has successfully downloaded. With two sets queued, it is not abnormal for the par2 for the second set to complete first, and thus other files in that set to start. However as soon as the par2 for the first entry completes Newsbin will start downloading that set in preference. You can also manually unpause the first set to make all the files start download without waiting for the first par2 file.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby jcvmw » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:48 pm

what I have been experiencing is this. I start to down load file "A". Its downloading, its a large file. I go and find where file "B" which is a totally different file then "A" and not associated with it in any way. File "B" is now in the download description waiting to be downloaded, after "A".
As I am looking through all the little subfile of "A" to watch their progress I see some are paused, I assumed is normal as Newsbin can only download a certain number of components at a time. But when I go over to file "B" I see that Newsbin is already downloading some of the files that make up "B" . So this is what I am wondering why this happens??

When I have a large backlog of these " Master Files" I call them made up of these sub file and Newsbin is pausing parts of "A" and downloading parts of "B" and in my case parts of "C,D...." as it goes.

why does this happen?
jcvmw
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/17/10

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Might be normal if Newsbin is unraring or repairing file A. The only files that should be paused are the PAR files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support