more on - put old autopar tab back and HCI basis for this

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

more on - put old autopar tab back and HCI basis for this

Postby patrick_visniewski » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:44 am

the new autopar stuff doesn't make much sense
I now am left with a list of what looks like incomplete downloads
I have all these items I want downloaded but they have all these incomplete purple bars next to them which normally means that the download didn't finish
but now since the meaning of "downloads" in the download table is false because someone thought it would be a good idea to completely destroy a simple but working usability paradigm, the downloads tabs is mislabeled or meaningless

please get someone with some HCI/usability experience to work on this beta or hire new ones or actually listen to them

parts of the UI have been completely ruined by merging the autopar info into downloads

a downloads tab is just supposed to list what is being downloaded
nothing more
items in a downloads list are things that aren't completely downloaded
NOT things that are downloaded but may or may not be completely checked by a system that has never fully worked right

It is no longer a downloads tab. it is a download&decode progress tab

and as for autopar, rather than try to do something weird with the UI, please spend more time working out the kinks in the autopar function first
there are a lot of cases where it just doesn't work
it gets confused and then stuck
and the old version of it didn't even have a good way clearing out the list when files were removed by hand
it needed some sort of "recheck which pars are still in place" function, instead it had something that sort of tried to restart all the checks

when the autopar stuff worked it was fine, but when it didn't at least it didn't trash other lists
patrick_visniewski
n00b
n00b

Re: more on - put old autopar tab back and HCI basis for th

Postby richy99 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:34 am

iod suggest going back to 5.59 until 6 hits release then look at it,

the autopar tab isnt coming back
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby DThor » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:11 am

Also, try to understand that just because something is different, doesn't make it 'weird'. Instead of blanket requests to put it back the way it was which pretty obviously isn't going to happen (v5 isn't going anywhere, you can just keep using it), maybe take a deep breath and try using it for a while, and make suggestions within that context? For example, apart from disliking change, the single thing I distilled from your post is, you don't like things being left in the download queue. I happen to agree with you, in fact. Some people like the notion of doing everything from one application, so you address that by leaving anything that didn't extract completely right in their face so they know something's outstanding. I don't like that, I like a more aggressive purging of the list. Apart from being a beta, there's currently states that I would like to see just go through, such as any complete rar set with no pars, regardless of post date. It's just a matter of focusing on what exactly bothered you about the testing you did and making suggestions that are likely to be listened to, rather than 'toss everything, start over'. There's a lot of features in there now I would hate to give up!

Also, forum etiquette 101 - don't post the same complaint twice. Heard you the first time.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby chiphead » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:38 am

IMHO most of the people who ask for the old features don't realize that the whole point of 6 (and newsbin in general) was to move away from discrete steps of the download process and more into a turn-key solution to get at the results. If you like the old way of doing things, feel free to stick with what you know.
chiphead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/08/06

Postby ze.m » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:56 pm

from what I can see, AutoPar works fine as long as they are rar files. It does not work for other types of files used with par2 (.jpg, .mov...)
maybe support can be built in to process par2 with these other types.
ze.m
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/17/04

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support