Files being deleted

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Files being deleted

Postby mimauk » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:58 pm

Ver6 B10

This is a strange one and has been happening the last couple of betas - I wasn't sure what was happening but now I've got the details worked out.

When downloading something - I never checked if they had downloaded until a couple of days after. When I would go to the folder the folders for the would be there but they would be empty - no songs.

Today I experimented and downloaded a and checked the download folder and the songs were there - good. I just went back to the folder to play the and the folder was empty again. The only thing I have done since checking the folder after downloading, was to shut NBpro down.

I presume NBpro must be deleting the files when it shuts down - weird!!! :shock: :shock:

All NBpro downloads go to a seperate hard drive in the PC I just use for storage.
mimauk
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/29/06

Re: Files being deleted

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:30 pm

Do you have the unrared files doing to a specific folder? Folder override?

When you download, look in the files lists for the actual location of the files. I suspect the files are being moved to the unrar folder but right now that's just a suspicion.

I can't reproduce your issue here. Are these RAR sets or just individual files?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mimauk » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:45 pm

They are not rar sets, they are individual files - eg Xs 100 greatest hits 5CD, CD1 #1-20, CD2 #1-20 etc a total of 100 individual mp3s.

I have just downloaded 2 sets of the same cds that disappeared again - had to right click and add to download ignore filters - as thet were showing as already downloaded. One set 6 days old and one set posted today - and they are in their individual folders. I've shut NBpro down and even rebooted the PC and they haven't disappeared this time. So unless there's some sort of self destruct timer built in to them, I'll check if they stay and I'll try downloading more over the next few days and see what happens.

Thanks.
mimauk
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Moondawgie » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:20 am

I've also been affected by this. Until now I thought it was unique to my computer system.

It sometimes happens with one part files, but happens most often with multi-part files. Newsbin will list a file as being complete (No pieces reported as being missing), but after the file is added to download list I see that a file is actually incomplete and missing one or more pieces. As long as I don't exit from Newsbin, the file usually remains listed in the download list until the missing pieces appear on the nntp servers (Giganews and Easynews), downloaded, and used to create a complete file that is then listed in the downloads list and found on my hard drive. If I exit from Newsbin before the missing pieces appear and are downloaded, the downloaded parts from an incomplete file are apparently lost, as when Newsbin is next started it automatically downloads the same pieces again.

It's as though the downloaded parts of incomplete files are being downloaded and stored in RAM, but not being written to disk.

I can't remember if this only happens with specific file types, but if the problem continues after the installation of 600B10 I'll report back with a more detailed accounting.
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:50 am

I do believe I saw this last night too. I have a theory about it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mimauk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:31 pm

The two sets I downloaded again yesterday, using '' add to download list ,bypass filters'' are still on the hard drive.

I looked at the progress bar when they were being downloaded and there was a grey block at the beginning of some of the files, about every one in eight. When I played some of them last night a few of them ''jumped'' when playing as though there was a bit missing.
mimauk
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:34 pm

PAR files are your friend.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mimauk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:36 pm

Unfotunately no par files with those particular posts.
mimauk
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support