Version 6 Beta 11 Available...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Version 6 Beta 11 Available...

Postby dexter » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:10 pm

This release fixes a number of esoteric bugs that many people probably won't notice. Overall stability should be better. Some highlights are:

• Fixed ctrl-v (paste) into the search field (shift-ins works too)
  • Changed default header overlap, it was causing some posts marked as old to be marked new again after a header update
  • Fixed issue handling partial downloads when Newsbin is closed and restarted later
  • Fixed performance issue applying filters
  • Implemented a crosspost filter that can be applied at header download time. It is set in the .nbi file
  • Now displays background header update progress in the Download tab
  • Can now repair single .avi files posted with .par files.

More details about these and other changes are on the Newsbin Beta Page, along with the download link.

Please report any issues as a reply to this thread or a new post in this forum. You can also contact us directly through our Technical Support Form or swing by our irc channel. It's #newsbin on irc.newsbin.com.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Version 6 Beta 11 Available...

Postby Andreas » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:12 pm

Ctrl+C does not work in the Post Properties dialog (e.g in the Subject field). Deleting workspace.xml does not help.
Andreas
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/11/10

Postby Semel » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:14 am

i was wondering..
Is there any ETA at what beta the ongoing autodownloading while a release is being uploaded issue is planned to be resolved( i posted numerous screenshots of download list window and the mess NB creates there upon autodownloading stuff without any succesful end result(repair\unpack that it)?

Just so that i know when i should get back to test it =)
cheers
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/25/09

Postby Quade » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:21 am

Don't know what you're talking about.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby kenr » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:57 am

IS there anyway of moving the tabs (search/group listings) back to the top when more than one tab is open?
kenr
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/13/03

Postby itimpi » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:11 am

kenr wrote:IS there anyway of moving the tabs (search/group listings) back to the top when more than one tab is open?

You can have the tabs wherever you like, so I am not sure I understand the question.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby kenr » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:38 am

When I open several groups they appear side by side on by the search pane. The group tabs (excluding the active one which is at the top of the page) are grouped at the bottom and have been in the last 2 beta's they used to be at the top where I prefer them. Or is this another wine artefact?
kenr
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:04 am

I thought you knew about the ability to arrange the GUI the way you'd like? You must... No, not a wine issue, assuming you've ensured the GUI lock button in the toolbar is disengaged, drag the groups tab to wherever you want it...
If this doesn't work, reinstall and choose the GUI reset option in the last dialog.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Maelstroem » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:40 am

Some issues, b11:

1. Some deleted posts are STILL showing when loading a group again, and some posts marked as OLD still showing when loading group again and 'Hide old' is ticked. Seems random as to what posts are being shown again!

2. Load a group then close it's tab so only Search is open and try clicking 'Load NZB' icon or using File > Load NZB's.. takes many retries for it to open! If you first click in the large space where the post list is shown then it works or clicking any tab like Groups/files/logging etc? Also works the first time you load NB before opening any new group tabs!

3. Select some posts to delete in post list so requester pops up, click another tab and lose focus on requester, click back on the original tab and post list locked due to requester being pushed behind NB, minimize NB and requester is there! Requester should not be allowed to 'disappear' until 'Yes' or 'No' has been clicked. You can also close the tab before answering the requester and reload it and do the same again so multiple requesters are open!

4. Focus issue: If you open a group in the groups list by right click > Show posts, if the focus is not already on the group list (i.e. you have not clicked on the group list tab or a group in the list) then the tab will open without focus on it. To replicate, open a few groups then click the groups name tab to see the post list for it, then just right click on new group in the group list and click Show Posts, tab will open up without focus on it. Should NB move focus on whatever was 'Right clicked'?
Last edited by Maelstroem on Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/03/03

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:53 am

1 - It new records show up for it, the file will be promoted back to new. How news is the file? I can reproduce this but, I can watch files turn back to green when new records show up.

2 - Don't get this one. You mean it doesn't respond to the button press?

3 - Confirmed this one. Needs to be a modal dialog. Thanks.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maelstroem » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:17 am

Quade wrote:1 - It new records show up for it, the file will be promoted back to new. How news is the file? I can reproduce this but, I can watch files turn back to green when new records show up.

2 - Don't get this one. You mean it doesn't respond to the button press?

3 - Confirmed this one. Needs to be a modal dialog. Thanks.

1. The files are maybe a day old, or a bit less, I try to check the headers most days and either mark them as old or delete them if SPAM.

2. Yes, clicking the button doesn't open the dialogue or using the menu option. Not a show stopper, I know how to work around it!

3. Good, another bug squashed!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:23 am

Re: #2, have you tried resetting your GUI during install? I can't repro that behaviour.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Maelstroem » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:37 am

DThor wrote:Re: #2, have you tried resetting your GUI during install? I can't repro that behaviour.

DT

Just tried it, no difference? I only find it's a problem if I close all the tabs and then try to load an NZB from the Toolbar icon or menu item. If it can't be reproduced at least I know the workaround as mentioned before.
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:56 am

I suspect your machine is just busy in the background doing cleanup form closing the tabs.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maelstroem » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:54 pm

Ok Quade, I'll accept that as it's not stopping me using NB.
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:11 pm

Semel, didn't like your post so I deleted it. If you can post without the attitude, I won't delete it. There's no point to annoying me. It just makes me ignore you.

There's a good chance, I simply ignored your original trouble-report because it was you who reported it.

If you use Astra for headers, you'll probably want to set a 10-50 post overlap in the server options. I found this always gave complete posts (assuming they were completable).
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Semel » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:08 am

*edited* nevermind.. im gonna test it extensively now with overlap..
Last edited by Semel on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby kenr » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:54 am

DThor wrote:I thought you knew about the ability to arrange the GUI the way you'd like? You must... No, not a wine issue, assuming you've ensured the GUI lock button in the toolbar is disengaged, drag the groups tab to wherever you want it...
If this doesn't work, reinstall and choose the GUI reset option in the last dialog.

I did a remove of the xml file which reset last beta, nope I cannot move the tab bar I can move the individual tabs about but when docked the names of the GoG's appear at the bottom of the page with the current active one at the top right of the mdi window. The lock only stops me moving the active tab about.

(hopefully this will show it)
kenr
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:09 am

I see what you mean. What you want is possible, I have mine setup that way. The GUI to arranging the windows can be a little obscure at times. From memory, when I setup after a reset GUI, I just drag search just to the right of the left upper pane. iirc, if you go too far right, it doesn't work. Then, I have posts open with search and tabs on on the top. Hard to describe from memory. I'd start from a reset and do as little as possible. I don't recall exactly what triggers the tabs being on the bottom, could that be a setting in prefs?

DT

PS looking again, what's happening is your post pane is on the bottom, which extends all the way to the top. The one on the lower left should extend all the way to the right, and then move the large one above it, and and the tabs will be right. Anyway, reset your GUI, start from scratch. I had to fiddle the first couple of times too. There's nothing in wine stopping you, however.
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Semel » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:52 am

There is something strange going on here... Could anyone assist on this one?

Here is how it goes:

memcache=1500\chunk=1500
group xxxx, autoupdate rate for this group set to 1 min, header overlap to 5000(thanx Quade, it has helped with incomplete headers!), autodownload filter set to YYY, postpar filter uses sfv nfo sample

1)group gets updated, headers appear
2)NB starts downloading, headers get updated, headers are complete
3) Nb finishes downloading, unpacks stuff (but for some reason doesnt delete sfv and nfo. It doesnt happen at all now
4) I hit update and NB starts to download these files yet again
After that i have this on my disk:

duplicate detector was turned off i ve always had it turned off and never had any problems
i dont understand why they got downloaded once again
Also files status in a group window is shown is idle\new not downloaded thus Nb tries to download them over and over after overlaped header update is done

COuld it be that overlap somehow screwes it up?

Also i dont egt why postpar filters have stopped working.. i have these extensions set there(file reject)
[.]txt$
[.]url$
[.]html$
[.]srr$
[.]nfo$
sample

I have sample in my autoget reject filename filter and still Nb tries to download them
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:05 am

I said 10-50. With an overlap of 5000 you're doing to re-download lots of files.

Imagine what the overlap is doing

Header Download
Code: Select all
<------------->
                <------------->

No Overlap

<------------->
              <------------->

Small overlap

<------------->
        <------------->

Large overlap.

You're basically downloading the same headers over again which is why they re-appear in the download list. You need to balance overlap with re-downloads. That's why I chose a pretty small number. In my experiments with Astra, the missing chunks when bouncing on the update button happened because Newsbin used a different connection with each update and the timing means the post record numbers might be off by 1 or 2. That's why a small overlap should fix it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Semel » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:16 am

said 10-50. With an overlap of 5000 you're doing to re-download lots of files.

i saw 5k mentioned on NB help pages so decided to give it a try

It seems i didnt quite understand how it works. I thought it just rescans headers that are already there and downloads the ones that are not there and the numbers tell Nb how "deep" it should scan

PS
ANother thing is.. Im not sure if im doing it right.

i have "sample" in a filename reject part of autodownload filter

xxxxxx-xxx.110425.sample.wmv gets rejected
but assosiated with the file par2 file (xxxxxx-xx-sample.par2) not.
It keeps hanging in download list window. Very small par 2 sample file is downloaded , the rest are paused.
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby kenr » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:21 pm

DThor wrote:PS looking again, what's happening is your post pane is on the bottom, which extends all the way to the top. The one on the lower left should extend all the way to the right, and then move the large one above it, and and the tabs will be right. Anyway, reset your GUI, start from scratch. I had to fiddle the first couple of times too. There's nothing in wine stopping you, however.

OK reset the gui by doing a re-install. But the default is still the same
This is the first time loading it after a reinstall/reset

And no matter what I cant get the tabs to the top like it was in b8 (?)
kenr
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Click on the tab for "Servers" (on the tab itself). then drag the tab up to the "Image Database Tab". When they're next to each other, unclick. You know, you can close any of these tab. Nobody uses Image DB so, I imagine most people want it closed.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dexter » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Semel wrote:
said 10-50. With an overlap of 5000 you're doing to re-download lots of files.

i saw 5k mentioned on NB help pages so decided to give it a try

It seems i didnt quite understand how it works. I thought it just rescans headers that are already there and downloads the ones that are not there and the numbers tell Nb how "deep" it should scan

The 5000 record overlap tells Newsbin "When you do a download latest, subtract 5000 from the highest record (article) number we previously had from this group and start from there". So, say your last header download got article numbers 1249773985-1250073985. Normally it would start with 1250073985 the next time you do a download latest. Instead, it'll start with 1250073985-5000 = 1250068985

Semel wrote:PS
ANother thing is.. Im not sure if im doing it right.

i have "sample" in a filename reject part of autodownload filter

xxxxxx-xxx.110425.sample.wmv gets rejected
but assosiated with the file par2 file (xxxxxx-xx-sample.par2) not.
It keeps hanging in download list window. Very small par 2 sample file is downloaded , the rest are paused.

Go under Options/Switches and see if "Show PAR/NFO" is checked. If it is, those filters will be ignored.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DThor » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:50 pm

kenr, look under the View menu. Switch Tab Position does it.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Semel » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:27 pm

2 dexter

i see thanx for explanation

Go under Options/Switches and see if "Show PAR/NFO" is checked. If it is, those filters will be ignored

It is unchecked

PS after experiencing some article not found error i get from time to time this ?
[02:48:12] ERROR Socket - Error: WSARecv Socket Error Code: 10060 897
[02:48:12] ERROR 193.202.122.174 - NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data: Socket - Read or Write Timeout
[02:48:12] ERROR 193.202.122.174 - SendCommand Worker - Server: 193.202.122.174 SendCommand - failed to Read Response From server: Socket - Read or Write Timeout
[02:48:12] ERROR 193.202.122.174 - Socket HandleError - Server: 193.202.122.174 SendCommand - Server Disabled Service on connection:
[02:48:12] ERROR Socket - Error: WSASend Socket Error Code: 10038 812
[02:48:12] ERROR 193.202.122.174 - SendCommand Worker - Server: 193.202.122.174 SendCommand - failed to send command to server: Unspecified Network Error
[02:48:12] ERROR 193.202.122.174 - Socket HandleError - Server: 193.202.122.174 SendCommand - Server Disabled Service on connection:
[02:48:12] ERROR Download Engine My_Server - DL_OpenItem - DL_DI - Failed to retrieve Article from Server:: My_Server
[02:48:12] ERROR Socket - Error: WSARecv Socket Error Code: 10060 897
[02:48:12] ERROR 193.202.122.174 - NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data: Socket - Read or Write Timeout
[02:48:12] ERROR 193.202.122.174 - SendCommand Worker - Server: 193.202.122.174 SendCommand - failed to Read Response From server: Socket - Read or Write Timeout
[02:48:12] ERROR Socket - Error: WSASend Socket Error Code: 10038 812
[02:48:12] ERROR 193.202.122.174 - SendCommand Worker - Server: 193.202.122.174 SendCommand - failed to send command to server: Unspecified Network Error
[02:48:12] ERROR Download Engine My_Server - DL_OpenItem - DL_DI - Failed to retrieve Article from Server:: My_Server

PPPS NB still keeps unexpectedly crashing when i choose where to save files
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby kenr » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:47 am

Quade wrote:Click on the tab for "Servers" (on the tab itself). then drag the tab up to the "Image Database Tab". When they're next to each other, unclick. You know, you can close any of these tab. Nobody uses Image DB so, I imagine most people want it closed.

I always close it but this was the vanilla install pic.
DThor wrote:kenr, look under the View menu. Switch Tab Position does it.

DT

Thanks that fixed it :D When was that introduced (last beta probably :o )
kenr
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby magician1962 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Not 100% sure if this is something i accidentaly changed at some point in the past before update to 6b11, but just noticed in the servers tab

Master Server = Fill Server
Slave Server = Normal Server

Which is a bit silly

As I say It may just be finger trouble, but if anyone else has seen it, it may be something changed
magician1962
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/21/10

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:15 pm

Unless I'm mis-interpreting what you're saying, there's nothing wrong with those settings.

Master/Slave just matters to header downloading.

Fill/Not fill to file downloading.

There's nothing wrong with having a master/fill or a not-fill slave.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby magician1962 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:45 pm

My observation was I thought they had changed, as I didn't remember changing them. Normally Slave is my fill server.
magician1962
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/21/10

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support