Old deleted posts keep showing up

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Old deleted posts keep showing up

Postby optiman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:32 pm

Old posts keep showing up, and have been for most of the betas. "Hide Old" of course is checked off. As always I ctl-A all posts and Del them before I close NB, but next time I open it, old posts are still there.
NB beta 11, Win7 64bit
optiman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/13/03

Re: Old deleted posts keep showing up

Postby optiman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Update-- when I de-select "hide old" and re-select "hide old", the old posts go away. But they always show up before I go through that sequence.
optiman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Been some changes to this in B12.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby optiman » Fri May 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Actually it's not old posts, but already downloaded posts keep showing up.
optiman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby optiman » Fri May 27, 2011 6:46 pm

This is my GOG .nbi settings. Is there an error causing old downloaded posts to keep returning?
Latest beta 15.

Active=1
Age=0
ColumnDir=1
ColumnSort=2
DisableAutoRAR=0
DisplayAge=14
FilterProfile=Global
InitDays=14
IsExpanded=0
PAR_AutoDownload=1
ShowFiles=0
ShowFilters=1
ShowNew=1
UseAutoMode=0
UseFTR=1
UseMDA=1
UsePath=0
UseProfile=1
optiman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby optiman » Fri May 27, 2011 6:52 pm

Below no longer works. Old and already downloaded posts show up no matter what.

optiman wrote:Update-- when I de-select "hide old" and re-select "hide old", the old posts go away. But they always show up before I go through that sequence.
optiman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby klawdek » Sat May 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Unfortunately Quade claims he does not see this problem and will therefore not work on it.

We need to get everyone to try the hide old feature and report the results so we can prove to quade that there is a problem here.
klawdek
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/09/11

Postby Quade » Sat May 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Actually I DID figure out why you're seeing this. Don't really know how to fix it at this point. One solution would be a database of "old" posts but, I suspect that's would grow to be too slow. When you set the group to "auto-old" meaning set the group "old" after viewing. It works fine because this is a blanket "mark everything old". The problem is files that are downloaded, because they lose the knowledge of where they came from. Say you have a GOG of 20 groups and this file is crossposted to 5 of the groups. You want it marked old in all 5 groups but, when it finishes downloading, it only knows how to reference a single group of the 5.

So, there you go. Know what's happening. Don't know how to fix it yet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mho » Sat May 28, 2011 9:54 pm

I have the opposite "problem"; downloaded files marked old w/o my say so:-)

This is especially annoying for .nfo files - I actually D/L and keep (some of) them, but now, when I hit ctrl-R to see if it is an interesting post, it will get marked old, so unless I immediately hit ctrl-Y, it will get lost and/or not downloaded. ("Mark Posts New" hasn't done anything observable for me in any of the betas, so far).

In the 5 series, it varied a bit if ctrl-R was considered downloading a post or not. I would appreciate it not counting. (I prefer to do all my "olding" with the Del key, thank-you-very-much:-))

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby Moondawgie » Mon May 30, 2011 11:09 am

Quade wrote:Actually I DID figure out why you're seeing this. Don't really know how to fix it at this point. One solution would be a database of "old" posts but, I suspect that's would grow to be too slow. When you set the group to "auto-old" meaning set the group "old" after viewing. It works fine because this is a blanket "mark everything old". The problem is files that are downloaded, because they lose the knowledge of where they came from. Say you have a GOG of 20 groups and this file is crossposted to 5 of the groups. You want it marked old in all 5 groups but, when it finishes downloading, it only knows how to reference a single group of the 5.

So, there you go. Know what's happening. Don't know how to fix it yet.

It's not possible to provide a toggleable option or filter which would block the display of ALL posts in the posts window assigned the designated status of "idle/old" and "Downloaded"?
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Postby Quade » Mon May 30, 2011 12:31 pm

The problem isn't the filtering, that's trivial. The problem is actually changing the state. When headers are loaded into a post list, the information about what group and what record number the file is, is encoded in the listing item. What happens is, when you added the file to the download list, this information is lost because it's not actually needed at that point. With GOG's, there might be N groups and M record numbers associated with each post list item so, it's not enough to only track and tag one.

I came up with a solution, which is to tag them old AS they're added to the download list, not after download finishes. That's how NZB and I-Search posts are tagged too (though the actual tracking mechanism is different).
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mho » Mon May 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Quade wrote:I came up with a solution, which is to tag them old AS they're added to the download list, not after download finishes. That's how NZB and I-Search posts are tagged too (though the actual tracking mechanism is different).

Could we possibly get an option to have newsbin _never_ auto-marking anything as old? Would simplify my life greatly.

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby Quade » Tue May 31, 2011 8:56 am

I can think about it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby optiman » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:12 pm

Hadn't checked my thread in a while. Quade thanks for finding the problem and potential solution. Are you going to take a stab at your fix before final?
Optiman
optiman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby optiman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:31 pm

Hate to be a nag, but NB Pro, for the first time in 8 years, is getting to be unusable. I can't wade through hundreds of old posts that keep getting loaded. Never used to be like this before V6. I consider marking posts "old" and then "hide old" an absolute requirement for any newsreader--
Optiman
optiman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:07 pm

- What version are you currently running?

- Nobody is reporting this issue with RC2.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby optiman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:43 pm

RC2. So what are you talking about below?
Optiman

Quade wrote:The problem isn't the filtering, that's trivial. The problem is actually changing the state. When headers are loaded into a post list, the information about what group and what record number the file is, is encoded in the listing item. What happens is, when you added the file to the download list, this information is lost because it's not actually needed at that point. With GOG's, there might be N groups and M record numbers associated with each post list item so, it's not enough to only track and tag one.

I came up with a solution, which is to tag them old AS they're added to the download list, not after download finishes. That's how NZB and I-Search posts are tagged too (though the actual tracking mechanism is different).
optiman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:57 pm

Try it when RC3 comes out then. I already fixed it, thought it was in RC2. Basically they get marked old when added to the download list, not after they download.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby optiman » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:09 am

Yes, I do get previously downloaded files showing up. But I also get random entire sets from 2-4 weeks ago and sometimes older. I religiously hit ctl-a then del every day. Could it be astraweb's problem? I don't get it, never happened with V5. What should I wipe out to see if it helps? My spool directory?
Optiman
optiman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:13 am

I've got no context. You didn't say whether you're running RC3 or not.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby optiman » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:23 am

Ah-- just DL'd RC3. I also hit switch "mark stored posts old when loaded". One of the two totally fixed the problem apparently. I'll try un-setting the set old switch to see if that fixed it or just the RC3.
optiman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Gohan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:03 am

Just went from RC2 to RC3 and this problem finally is solved now..
Gohan
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/24/08

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:44 am

Good to know, thanks.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby optiman » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Spoke a bit too soon. It's definitely a lot better. It works when I refresh the same day, believe it or not. The next day, dbl-click GOG and I get some old downloaded posts. But not as many as before! And I'm not getting as many old-old posts (weeks old) appearing. Does it have something to do with dbl-clicking a GOG, where you are downloading new headers at the same time as loading old posts? It seems some of the old posts still aren't being marked old-- RC3, Win7 64bit. Or maybe when I shut down newsbin, some persistent state is lost and the next day, open a new newsbin, and old posts show up again?
Optiman
optiman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby itimpi » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:23 pm

optiman wrote:Does it have something to do with dbl-clicking a GOG, where you are downloading new headers at the same time as loading old posts?

This could well be relevant as it can cause some complicated behavior!

If you are using the auto-mark old facility and you do this then any headers you download after the double-click will NOT be marked as old on disk. They will therefore show up as new the next time you load the group and be marked as old for the subsequent load. Headers that were already on disk before the double-click will be marked as old on disk, so will not show up as new on the next groupd load. The net result would be that SOME headers get marked as old and others do not for the next group load.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby optiman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:51 pm

Good analysis Itimpi. That explains why the much older posts STOPPED appearing using the auto-mark old. But I'm still getting a day or two old posts showing up. I really like the dbl-click GOG feature because it's so easy to review new stuff, but the mark old problem just isn't working fully. I'll try just loading new files.

itimpi wrote:
optiman wrote:Does it have something to do with dbl-clicking a GOG, where you are downloading new headers at the same time as loading old posts?

This could well be relevant as it can cause some complicated behavior!

If you are using the auto-mark old facility and you do this then any headers you download after the double-click will NOT be marked as old on disk. They will therefore show up as new the next time you load the group and be marked as old for the subsequent load. Headers that were already on disk before the double-click will be marked as old on disk, so will not show up as new on the next groupd load. The net result would be that SOME headers get marked as old and others do not for the next group load.
optiman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support