B12 BUGS still cannot manualy par/unrar. Hide old not work

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

B12 BUGS still cannot manualy par/unrar. Hide old not work

Postby klawdek » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:21 pm

BUG #1
When I tried to adjust custom colors to change background colors some of the background colors changed others did not. Leaving the group and even closing the program and reopening did not work. I was changing background colors for downloaded and old.

This problem went on for a few days. Then I changed the text color for downloaded and all the background colors started coming in correctly.

This bug was reported for B11. I do not know if it has been fixed in B12. It is not on the list of fixes. The accidental fix described above seems to be holding.

BUG #2
Files that have been Downloaded and marked downloaded are later spontaneously remarked as old.
This bug was reported for B11 and seems to have been fixed but only time will tell for sure.

BUG #3
Hide old does not hide all files that are marked as old. It seems to hide some that are marked Downloaded but not all of them.
This bug was reported for B11 and has not been fixed. Hide old hides some old and some Downloaded but not all old and downloaded.

BUG #4
This bug was reported by me and others a long time ago and has not been fixed
If auto par/unrar is turned off it will DL ALL the par files and there is no way to stop it from doing so. The pars cannot be deleted from the download list and they cannot be paused. If they are paused they will download anyway.

There are times when auto unrar must be turned off. Who wants to DL a dozen rar files each with 100's of files inside and have all of them spilled out into one directory?

REQUEST #1
Could we get the ability to mark and unmark files as downloaded?

REQUEST #2
Ability to hide old and downloaded files.

REQUEST #3
If the auto par/unrar is ever fixed it would be nice to be able to override the global setting when selecting files to DL and when they are on the DL list.
IOW it would be nice if when selecting a file to DL, to be able to choose to DL it with or without auto par/unrar or if one forgets to be able to do it while the file is on the DL list waiting to DL.

Again, sometimes auto par/unrar is very convenient other times it is very inconvenient. We need to be able to do it either way depending on the file(s) being DLed.
klawdek
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/09/11

Re: B12 BUGS still cannot manualy par/unrar. Hide old not w

Postby klawdek » Thu May 05, 2011 5:50 am

The program does not always correctly analyze file sets. In a number of cases it shows the par2 and volume files as one set and the actual file(s) as another set. In this case you cannot use the par2 and volume files.

I DLed a file in the above situation and then DLed the par2 file the program deleted the original file and the par2 file in an unrecoverable fashion (it was not in the recycle bin and undo delete did not work. I Re DLed the main file and then tried to re DL the par2 file it refused to DL the par2 file (I have duplicate detection turned off)
klawdek
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Thu May 05, 2011 7:53 am

PM me an example. Not really sure what you mean from your description.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Mastermind » Thu May 05, 2011 1:11 pm

klawdek wrote:The program does not always correctly analyze file sets. In a number of cases it shows the par2 and volume files as one set and the actual file(s) as another set.

That's true, but you can use it. Try this - select the RAR-set AND the PAR2-set, download to a new directory, if the PAR2-set isn't on top move it.
That's works for me, it check and unRAR the files without another touch.
Mastermind
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/15/03

Postby Quade » Thu May 05, 2011 2:35 pm

He's got autopar disabled.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby magician1962 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:24 am

Re "The program does not always correctly analyze file sets. In a number of cases it shows the par2 and volume files as one set and the actual file(s) as another set. In this case you cannot use the par2 and volume files."

I think I encountered what is decribed just after installing b12

Filename_1.par2

Filename_2.rar
Filename_2.r00
Filename_2.r01 etc

When i manually rebuilt using the par2 and par files all went ok and the resulting file was correctly labeled Filename_2. I had 2 or 3 sets affected this way, and assumed it may have been something I did at the time of updating. as I have not encountered this situation since.
magician1962
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/21/10

Postby itimpi » Sat May 07, 2011 4:55 am

With the example you gave I would expect the rar files and par files to be analysed into two sets as the base filename is different and at that point Newsbin has no reaon to suspose they might be related.

What is more interesting is whether after the par2 file has been downloaded Newsbin could realise that the rar files are related (assuming they ended up in the same folder) based on the content of the par2 file. The fact that the manual par check and unrar works suggests that they DID end up in the same folder.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby magician1962 » Sat May 07, 2011 5:01 pm

From what i remember in the cases I had all the par sets had the same name.

So:

Folder 1
Filename_1.par etc
Filename_2.rar etc

Folder_2
Filename_1.par etc
Filename_3.rar etc

Folder_3
Filename_1.par etc
Filename_4.rar etc

At the time I assumed a corruption in the database as I had also downloaded a file set Filename_1.par before the update.

As I have not seen it since, I still suspect a corruption occured, which is now cleared as the files are downloaded
magician1962
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/21/10

Postby klawdek » Sat May 07, 2011 9:43 pm

I did not have autopar disabled. I have found it very inconvenient to try and run with it off. It DLs all the par2 volume files. There is no way to delete them or pause them in the download list.

I cannot find the example any more.

It was somewhat like described above. It was something like this:

myFavoriteFile.avi

>myFavoriteFile.par2

The par par2 file set contained the par2 and volume files for the .avi file.
I expanded the list for the par2 files and selected just the par2 file itself for downloading. When it downloaded it deleted the avi file.

I am assuming there was some kind of subtle name difference between myFavoriteFile.avi and myFavoriteFile.par2 or it would have had them together.
I am not complaining that it did not have them together as that is going to happen. It should not have deleted the avi file.
klawdek
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat May 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Without a specific example, there's not much I can do. I download files like this all the time. AVI and PAR2's not grouped. The par downloads and the AVI is checked and/or repaired.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby klawdek » Sun May 08, 2011 12:32 am

If I run across it again I'll PM you.

BUG #2
Files that have been Downloaded and marked downloaded are later spontaneously remarked as old.

This bug is still in :( . It just waits longer to do it now. Or , it took longer for me to notice. Not sure. It seems to remark some downloaded as old and not others.
klawdek
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun May 08, 2011 6:55 am

I don't understand what you're reporting. When a file is downloaded, it's marked old and downloaded simultaneously. The "Downloaded" state is stored in a different place and is applied dynamically as the files are viewed in the post list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby klawdek » Sun May 08, 2011 11:04 pm

I have it set to show downloaded files with red text and gray background. Old just has gray background.
Some downloaded files display downloaded in the status field and have the colors for downloaded. Other downloaded files display old in the status field and have the colors for old. It sometimes takes days but eventually all downloaded files display old in the status field and have the colors for old.

It looks like the colors for old supersede the colors for downloaded. Since the files are marked old when downloaded there is no case of a file that is downloaded but not old. This means the color selection for downloaded is only displayed until whatever process described above gets around to changing it to old.

Since a file can be marked as old and not downloaded or a file could be marked as downloaded and old but a file can never be downloaded and not old, I think it would be better if the colors for downloaded superseded the colors for old. That way old files that have not been downloaded can have one color and downloaded files another. Otherwise I cannot see any reason for having separate colors for downloaded and old.
klawdek
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby DThor » Mon May 09, 2011 8:16 am

Say *that* five times fast...

I know the new unspoken rule is not to ask 'why', since users proclivities for complication are immeasurable, but in the end isn't the point to simply be able to look at a list and ascertain the status of an entry? There are hundreds of possibilities, well probably thousands, with all the filtering options there, and I know I can look at a mixed list and get a pretty clear idea what's up. Personally, if I downloaded a file, then it's 'old' in my mind. I don't want to have it hang around as new until I mark it. I get your point, though, but it doesn't feel intuitive to me. Plus it needs more management.

Just my opinion.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby klawdek » Mon May 09, 2011 4:32 pm

but in the end isn't the point to simply be able to look at a list and ascertain the status of an entry?

Yes and that is the point of having color codes for different things. It is already setup with different color codes for downloaded and old. What is the point of having different colors for these two things if only one of the color codes will ever really be used? Since posts can never be downloaded and not marked as old but a file can be marked as old and NOT downloaded it would make more sense for the color code for downloaded to supersede the color code for old.

That actually would increase the ability to look at a list and quickly ascertain the status of a file.
klawdek
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon May 09, 2011 6:07 pm

Yes and that is the point of having color codes for different things. It is already setup with different color codes for downloaded and old

Things change. It worked fine before, the whole mechanism changed in 6. Maybe you're right and the "Downloaded" color needs to go away. It depends on whether there's a fix for it or not.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby klawdek » Mon May 09, 2011 8:35 pm

Personally I would like to see different color code for downloaded and stuff that is old but NOT downloaded. This makes it easier to quickly scroll through a group. However the icon is still there and while not as obvious it still can be used to tell.

A more serious problem in this area is the fact that hide old is broken.
klawdek
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Moondawgie » Tue May 10, 2011 3:31 pm

An additional "Hide old, downloaded, and duplicate files" filter (Similar to what Forte Agent provides) to hide those files from display in the posts window, or the ability to sort such files based on their status (Duplicates then being marked dupe/old) so I could more easily delete them, would work wonders for my frustration and blood pressure.

Pretty please?
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support