in search tab - please move the clear and search buttons

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

in search tab - please move the clear and search buttons

Postby tazmeister » Sat May 07, 2011 8:13 pm

please move the clear button

I never had a problem with it until the this beta now I keep clicking on it trying to start a search

I see the reason too

in previous version both clear and search were to the LEFT of the text input field
now some joker left the clear button to the left but put the search button to the right
so everyone used to clicking far to the left of the text field now gets the joy of clearing what they wanted to search for

if someone was going to pick one of those 2 buttons to move and one to leave in place the smart choice would have been to leave the search button since it is the one people use more often, and so you create a smaller required change to the usage patterns for that form
tazmeister
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/09/08

Re: in search tab - please move the clear and search buttons

Postby DThor » Sat May 07, 2011 8:26 pm

It was a request, some users bitched about it's old location. I tried to tell myself I wasn't letting myself get used to it, but I'm with you on this. It's annoying. I think the reason is the test in the search is left justified, so it's snuggled right up against...the thing that erases it. I'm constantly inadvertently erasing it, and I've been using the software since the first internal alphas. It don't want the text right justified, I just think that usability-wise, it's best the way it was - you enter your text, and click on search right there next to it, on the left. I have no idea who wanted the change and why. Seems arbitrarily wrong to me.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support