Version 6 Beta 14 Available...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Version 6 Beta 14 Available...

Postby dexter » Fri May 13, 2011 8:23 pm

A few issues introduced in B13 have been fixed. Also have updated the Search tab to have the same look (as in new toolbar) as the post lists.

Summary:

• Search tab now launches search when you choose a previous search from the dropdown menu.
  • Fixed problem downloading MIME encoded files.
  • Fixed issue saving column widths in some tabs

More details about these and other changes are on the Newsbin Beta Page, along with the download link.

Please report any issues as a reply to this thread or a new post in this forum. You can also contact us directly through our Technical Support Form or swing by our irc channel. It's #newsbin on irc.newsbin.com.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Version 6 Beta 14 Available...

Postby mho » Fri May 13, 2011 11:49 pm

New search tab seems to be missing "Clear search results" (or maybe it's just hidden too well for me:-))

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby Quade » Sat May 14, 2011 12:12 am

Yeah, it's not there.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby alanstarr » Sat May 14, 2011 8:50 am

Upgraded from B12 to B14, now when I start Newsbin I get a popup message that says "Attempted an unsupported operation". Then it immediately crashes. Haven't had any issues with the previous betas. I did reset the GUI this time (as you recommend for B13, which I skipped over). Running 64-bit Windows 7.

Update: Reverted back to B12, and everything is fine.
alanstarr
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/20/05

Postby dexter » Sat May 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Implies the language.dll file could not get updated for some reason. I have been unable to recreate this issue but a few people have reported it. Was Newsbin running or is it possible some other process (like AV software) had the file locked when you tried to run the upgrade?
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andreas » Sat May 14, 2011 6:39 pm

mho wrote:New search tab seems to be missing "Clear search results" (or maybe it's just hidden too well for me:-))

I would like to have one single button which does both with one single click: Clear the search entry and Clear search results.
Andreas
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/11/10

Postby alanstarr » Sun May 15, 2011 9:54 am

dexter wrote:Implies the language.dll file could not get updated for some reason. I have been unable to recreate this issue but a few people have reported it. Was Newsbin running or is it possible some other process (like AV software) had the file locked when you tried to run the upgrade?

I did get an error message when installing it, but I've also gotten that same message when doing previous installs and there was never an issue. I guess it finally mattered. 8^)

Newsbin was not running when I updated, but there certainly could have been other things. I'll try it again after a fresh reboot, and then again in safe mode, and see if either of those things fixes it (I'm pretty sure it will).

Thanks!
alanstarr
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby g51 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:21 am

b14 crashes for me too but without any "Attempted an unsupported operation" message. Just the usual "NB has encountered an error and needs to close" stuff. The installation finished normally, without any errors.

The crash happens about 30" after opening NB. There are also some files downloading in the queue.
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/16/11

Postby DThor » Sun May 15, 2011 2:18 pm

Well, that's something else entirely. Lots of people running newsbin for long hours without crashing so it's down to trying to isolate what's different on your system.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Semel » Sun May 15, 2011 7:12 pm

*sigh*
ive hust encountered it again in nb6b14
Download to existing folder- >NB closes..

Is there anyone who still have it?

I cant figure out what causes it...
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/25/09

Postby e.s.a. » Mon May 16, 2011 1:30 am

I think I might be the only person who cares, but CHUNKS folders are not deleting themselves following a successful download. They do, however, delete themselves if you manually delete the associated par2 file from the download list.
e.s.a.
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/08

Postby g51 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:52 am

DThor wrote:Well, that's something else entirely. Lots of people running newsbin for long hours without crashing so it's down to trying to isolate what's different on your system.

Great. I think i'll wait for b15, just in case it has been fixed. If not, i'll try to see if i can find out what's causing it.
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon May 16, 2011 7:55 am

I'll look at the chunks thing. For now, you can tell it not to use the chunks folder.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby fsalter » Mon May 16, 2011 11:28 pm

I'm using 13 and it still crashes with great regularity when I try and download to a specific folder. It has become the new norm and it's beginning to annoy me......
I'm hoping something will be done soon. Please!!!!!!!!!
fsalter
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/24/03

Postby ozzii » Tue May 17, 2011 2:05 am

fsalter wrote:I'm using 13 and it still crashes with great regularity when I try and download to a specific folder. It has become the new norm and it's beginning to annoy me......
I'm hoping something will be done soon. Please!!!!!!!!!

This is the topic for the 14!!!
So install the 14 and check if it's still the same 'new norm' 8)
ozzii
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/23/06

Postby fsalter » Tue May 17, 2011 5:08 am

I just installed it tonight and will be checking it in the next few days. I'm hoping for the best. I'm a little hesitant to get my hopes up because I haven't heard of any specific fix that was found for the problem. It has never done this with any of the other versions, just Version 6 so it has to be something introduced that I just can't put my finger on. I'm wondering if I have a lot of open lists and the memory just can't handle all the threads. I'm no expert just hoping for a positive outcome. I'll post here if I notice any improvement.
thanks!!!!
Fred
fsalter
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue May 17, 2011 8:39 am

I've seen other reports of it but, I've not managed to reproduce it here yet. I assume this happens after it's been running for awhile?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby alanstarr » Tue May 17, 2011 9:24 am

alanstarr wrote:
dexter wrote:Implies the language.dll file could not get updated for some reason. I have been unable to recreate this issue but a few people have reported it. Was Newsbin running or is it possible some other process (like AV software) had the file locked when you tried to run the upgrade?

I did get an error message when installing it, but I've also gotten that same message when doing previous installs and there was never an issue. I guess it finally mattered. 8^)

Newsbin was not running when I updated, but there certainly could have been other things. I'll try it again after a fresh reboot, and then again in safe mode, and see if either of those things fixes it (I'm pretty sure it will).

Thanks!

Once I tried the combination of Safe Mode and Run As Administrator, that did the trick (either solution alone wasn't enough). Thanks for the help, B14 seems to be running quite fine now...
alanstarr
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby fsalter » Tue May 17, 2011 12:09 pm

It doesn't seem to be kicking out only when it's been going for a while. I am wondering if it doesn't have something to do with what else is loaded in my computer. Sometimes I start it up and just get going and it crashes right away. Some other times I can be running it for many hours and then it goes. Doesn't seem to have a rhyme or reason to it. I know others have it going on but for some reason it doesn't happen to everyone. Can I send you some sort of a file to look at as to what is happening in the environment of my computer that might give a hint as to why it's going on?
Fred
fsalter
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Dreamland » Tue May 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Hello,

I've 2 items regarding the current beta:

1)
I'm loving the new search window, but would it be possible to leave the cursor focus inside the window like in all other version before?
If you perform a search and you want to alter or delete the value you always have to click in the window again.

2)
When downloading a thread the settings for background color are only working as expected for downloads of the current session.

All previous downloads only have the "downloaded"-icon, but the background color is missing.

Is this already a know bug?

Thanks a lot and keep up the excellent work!
Dreamland
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/16/07

Postby Quade » Tue May 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Which window? The search edit itself?

It's getting to the point where I need to look at that color stuff.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Semel » Tue May 17, 2011 7:16 pm

ozzii wrote:This is the topic for the 14!!!
So install the 14 and check if it's still the same 'new norm' 8)

well i have the same and im using b14. =)

it doesnt matter how long nb runs. It happens sometimes within several minutes after having NB started. I cant reproduce and or narrow down the cause for this because there are no error messages, nothing of the sort. it just closes within a second and thats it
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/25/09

MemCacheLimit Issue

Postby BeelineBoy » Tue May 17, 2011 7:38 pm

Quade, I'm not sure if you looked into it yet, but I'm still having issues with the rar set files being written to disk instead of reamining in memory prior to decode (even with Beta 14). The files are only 15MB and my MemCacheLimit=120.
BeelineBoy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/12/06

Postby Quade » Tue May 17, 2011 7:48 pm

Maybe that's because they DON'T stay in memory prior to decode. What the cache does is buffer single RARS in memory so, they're written out in one write. What did you read that made you think it stored all the RARS in memory before unRAR?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby BeelineBoy » Tue May 17, 2011 8:07 pm

Ah, I misread "Files are downloaded and then processed by AutoPAR in RAM until the decoded file is written to disk" in the V600 Beta Notes.
BeelineBoy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby fsalter » Tue May 17, 2011 8:59 pm

I'm having a weird problem that I don't know if anyone else is or not. When I download a multipart file that has to be reassembled it sometimes thinks it downloads the complete 15 meg file but will only download maybe 930k for all or part of the files. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen. It thinks it has downloaded all the files but a majority of them are just small parts of the file. I have to delete everything and start all over again and hope for the best. Anyone have any of this behavior. It seems to be continuing into 14.
Fred
fsalter
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue May 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Ah, I misread "Files are downloaded and then processed by AutoPAR in RAM until the decoded file is written to disk" in the V600 Beta Notes.

That's probably my fault. What that means is that the par blocks are scanned out of RAM. The idea of keeping a complete set in RAM's in the back of my head but, it won't make 6.0

I'm having a weird problem that I don't know if anyone else is or not.

I'm not seeing it but, that doesn't mean it's not there. Is there something special about the files? The blocks aren't black are they?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby fsalter » Tue May 17, 2011 10:12 pm

When you look at the files on the computer, say they are a rar file. They think they are complete files. In other words, they have converted from the temporary file into the file that has completed. It looks like you've got a whole passle of rar files ready to be reassembled but since they are only small parts of the file there isn't anything you can do with them.

Another related problem is sometimes I download a file and it doesn't convert to the correct file. It's all the way down but Newsbin doesn't make it into the .avi file or whatever it is supposed to be. It's still in it's temporary format. I check the download window and see that the file has been completely download, the size is right so I'm sure it's ok. I then go to my directory and get rid of the temporary extension and name the file with it's proper extension and all is right with the world.

Strange behavior, both of them. I'll see if I can get some examples and maybe a screen shot.

Fred
fsalter
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby BeelineBoy » Tue May 17, 2011 10:47 pm

That's probably my fault. What that means is that the par blocks are scanned out of RAM. The idea of keeping a complete set in RAM's in the back of my head but, it won't make 6.0

In addition to the MemCacheLimit, keeping a complete set in RAM might be a useful feature for those that own SSD's. It would save on more unecessary writes to the drive.

I'm very pleased with Version 6 so far and I just wanted to say we all appreciate everyones hard work.
BeelineBoy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed May 18, 2011 12:14 am

Virus scanner or firewall. When you have have something weird happening like this, it's normally something like that.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Dreamland » Wed May 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Quade wrote:Which window? The search edit itself?

Yep, the normal search.

Would be great if the cursor focus would stay inside the field.
Dreamland
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/16/07

Postby Quade » Wed May 18, 2011 2:53 pm

Might be able to keep it focused there till you click someplace else. It won't stay focused once you click out of it. Say scrolling the search window.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby siskoray » Thu May 19, 2011 4:05 am

"Summary:
Search tab now launches search when you choose a previous search from the dropdown menu."

This is sooooo kool! Thanks very much for this add. :D
siskoray
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/22/07

Postby fsalter » Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 am

Just thought I'd let you all know that now after loading 14 I have again experienced the dreaded immediate crash of the program when going to download to existing folder. I had just opened the program and finished downloading all my groups. I had opened all of my groups in the Show groups windows and was in the process of starting a download. ZAP!!!!!
I have my groups set up for four different categories and then put my separate newsgroups in those categories and download them at once so I do have a lot of groups downloaded.
E-Books I have 10 groups in it; Movies I have 14 groups; Music I have 7 groups and Television I have 9 groups. That makes 40 groups in all open and in memory. In the Music category I can see 431 days. The other groups are similar. I think I've got my viewable files set prety high. I think about 600 days so I don't loose track of any files in the past I might want to look for. Could this be causing some of my problems? If so, what should it be set to so as not to cause a memory freakout!!!!!
Fred
fsalter
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Thu May 19, 2011 5:39 am

I cannot see how the number/size of groups can cause this issue. Having said that I guess it would do no harm to see if you get the same problem with no post lists open other than the one you are currently working on.

However, whatever the problem is, it seems to be specific to your system as otherwise everyone else would be seeing the same behavior.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Thu May 19, 2011 8:48 am

There's a number of people reporting it so, I'm keeping my eyes on it. There's no obvious cause or solution though.

Are you using the old folder picker or the new one? There's a check mark in the options.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby usmarinecpl » Thu May 19, 2011 9:19 am

Why does Ctrl-G update all groups instead of the group that is selected? Is there a new shortcut?
usmarinecpl
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/18/03

Postby dexter » Thu May 19, 2011 9:25 am

It's a bug.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby b38kje2nq » Thu May 19, 2011 11:30 am

According to the V600-Buglist, bug nr. 8 (Status in Post List does not get updated when adding files to download list with "Pending" or "Downloading") should be fixed. In beta 14, it does work for the currently downloading item but not for items that are queued. Does anyone else see this?
b38kje2nq
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/05/07

Postby Quade » Thu May 19, 2011 12:12 pm

What are you expecting it to show?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby b38kje2nq » Thu May 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Quade wrote:What are you expecting it to show?

Items that are queued show Idle/New rather than Pending as in 5.59.
b38kje2nq
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu May 19, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm not seeing that. This after a restart?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby b38kje2nq » Thu May 19, 2011 2:02 pm

Quade wrote:I'm not seeing that. This after a restart?

I've restarted NewsBin and it didn't clear. It seems erratic: after pressing Ctrl+E on more than two files individually (one after another) doesn't always result in the Status changing from Idle/New whereas the icon at the start of the subject does change correctly. Not the most clear STR, unfortunately.
b38kje2nq
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby fsalter » Thu May 19, 2011 5:00 pm

Quade wrote:There's a number of people reporting it so, I'm keeping my eyes on it. There's no obvious cause or solution though.

Are you using the old folder picker or the new one? There's a check mark in the options.

I'm using the old Folder Picker. I converted my files over to the new format when the first beta came out because you said that the old numbering system wasn't compatible. I didn't know that could be an issue. Maybe some of my ones never got converted. I'll check and see.
fsalter
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu May 19, 2011 10:24 pm

I worked on the folder pickers today. No obvious problems but, I did increase some of the buffer sizes. We'll see if that fixes it for you.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby fsalter » Fri May 20, 2011 3:10 am

I posted a problem I was having of the program not converting the temp files to their real file names. Here's an example.
This is a dir/b listing of what is in the directory. The files with the nb2 extension are complete. They just never did convert.
Fred

Bla.nzb
Bla.par2
MoreClassicSerials-Bla.nb2
fsalter
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Fri May 20, 2011 6:04 am

If files really are complete (as shown with QuickPar) and they never convert to the final file this almost always means that the A/V software on the machine is interfering with Newsbin in some way. Have you tried setting the A/V software to ignore .nb2 file and/or the Download folder? An alternative (and possibly better approach) depending on the A/V software used is to set Newsbin itself to be excluded from A/V scanning.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby fsalter » Fri May 20, 2011 1:50 pm

I'll fool around with the Software for virus handling. I've got my Zone Alarm Firewall Virus software and Adaware installed. I'll see what I can do for exceptions. It doesn't happen all the time only intermittently. I'll keep you updated.
Fred
fsalter
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby g51 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:23 pm

g51 wrote:b14 crashes for me too but without any "Attempted an unsupported operation" message. Just the usual "NB has encountered an error and needs to close" stuff. The installation finished normally, without any errors.

The crash happens about 30" after opening NB. There are also some files downloading in the queue.

g51 wrote:
DThor wrote:Well, that's something else entirely. Lots of people running newsbin for long hours without crashing so it's down to trying to isolate what's different on your system.

Great. I think i'll wait for b15, just in case it has been fixed. If not, i'll try to see if i can find out what's causing it.

Seems like no more crashes in b15...
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support