opening multiple groups

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

opening multiple groups

Postby cosmo4u » Tue May 24, 2011 7:17 pm

is there a way to set up NBpro to open multiple groups in my GOG without actually going to each individual group, but staying in the group list until ive opened all my groups? Now Ihave to go to the group list to open the group.leave that tab abd go back to the group list.. open the next group leave that tab, go back to the group list...etc etc I like to have alot of groups open at one time, but hate having click on one, then go back to the group list click on the next, then go back..etc

it was like that in 6.ob10..

i just download 6.ob15 and it seems to have disappeared.

any ideas or options?

TIA
cosmo4u
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”
—Rogers Hornsby
cosmo4u
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/16/07

Re: opening multiple groups

Postby slim186 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:53 am

I prefer this behaviour as well. Don't like having to click back & forth to get all of the groups open.
slim186
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/01/08

Postby MilesAhead » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:58 pm

I usually have the option Show All Groups in New Tab disabled. But I enabled it just to try the behavior. I don't know if it helps but I have Groups List docked on the right hand side next to the vertical scroll bar. When I double-click a group, it opens in a tab. The Groups List still is on top so I can double-click other groups. I tried selecting several and right clicking, then Show Posts. Also selecting several and hitting Control-l. The only one that kept all tabs opened and added tabs was double-click.

But at least with the Groups List docked to the right it stays on top, and also you don't need a horizontal scrollbar as there's more room to make columns wider in the Posts window.
Windows Seven 32 bit no SP
HP Pavilion AMD 5200+ dual core
2 GB ram
MilesAhead
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/23/06

Postby itimpi » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:26 am

If you select several groups and then right-click and select Show Posts then the selected groups are opened as a combined view in the same tab. This is expected behavior. If you want them in separate tabs then you need to right-click each in turn and select Show Posts.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby MilesAhead » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:47 am

itimpi wrote:If you select several groups and then right-click and select Show Posts then the selected groups are opened as a combined view in the same tab. This is expected behavior. If you want them in separate tabs then you need to right-click each in turn and select Show Posts.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't notice groups were combined. I just tried it and it works as you say.
Windows Seven 32 bit no SP
HP Pavilion AMD 5200+ dual core
2 GB ram
MilesAhead
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/23/06

Postby cosmo4u » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:20 pm

MilesAhead wrote:I usually have the option Show All Groups in New Tab disabled. But I enabled it just to try the behavior. I don't know if it helps but I have Groups List docked on the right hand side next to the vertical scroll bar. When I double-click a group, it opens in a tab. The Groups List still is on top so I can double-click other groups. I tried selecting several and right clicking, then Show Posts. Also selecting several and hitting Control-l. The only one that kept all tabs opened and added tabs was double-click.

But at least with the Groups List docked to the right it stays on top, and also you don't need a horizontal scrollbar as there's more room to make columns wider in the Posts window.

thanks for the advice...i moved the group list down like you said and it worked perfectly..
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”
—Rogers Hornsby
cosmo4u
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/16/07

Postby shawn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Okay, there's probably an obvious issue that I'm missing but I see people talking about having multiple groups open at one time in multiple tabs. I can't get NB to do that. For some reason every time I select another group it replaces the existing group tab that is open. I've looked through the various options and I don't see any configuration value that would change that behavior.I certainly don't see a Show All Groups in Tab option.

Can someone point me to the clue box, please? ;)
shawn
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/02/03

Postby DThor » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:50 pm

Under Options/Switches/Multi-tab Mode

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby shawn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks, DThor. Not sure why I missed that option. Still not liking the new look but maybe I'll get to like it eventually.
shawn
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/02/03

Postby schoon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:46 pm

itimpi wrote:If you select several groups and then right-click and select Show Posts then the selected groups are opened as a combined view in the same tab. This is expected behavior. If you want them in separate tabs then you need to right-click each in turn and select Show Posts.

Could that process of individual group clicking be streamlined by making it "switchable" or perhaps a separate Open command choice? I have a GoG that I update and review a lot, but they are unrelated, so it would be nice to be able to have the choice for them to open individually rather than merged. Intuitively, when I select a group of files to open in Windows, I expect them to each open, not show up as a combined file. On the other hand, I understand where and how the merged behavior with the Newsgroups makes a lot of sense.

Overall, see a lot of positives with the Beta - it will take some people getting used to, but I think the window behavior is a lot nicer. Thanks for the support!
schoon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/03

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support