Complete download stalls (RC1)

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Complete download stalls (RC1)

Postby idbirch2 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Been having this issue ever since first 6 betas but assumed that once RCs came around, this wouldn't happen. The problem is that incomplete or encrypted downloads back up until downloads completely stop. The cache readout drops to 0 which I assume has something to do with it. Restarting Newsbin briefly solves the problem and I see my full 50mb download speed for a few seconds until the cache starts dropping rapidly. As soon as it hits 0, all downloading stops and Newsbin is essenatially dead.

In the example below, I have opened the first RAR in the encrypted set and entered the password - unraring starts and completes successfully. I can do this with all complete downloads and then the problem is solved however this babysitting of the client is not required in v5 - it just sees the downloads as done but unextractable and carries on. Here is a screenshot of the current situation in case it helps:

I have already tried increasing the cache level in the .nbi file but even when set to 1000, all that happens is the cache takes a little longer to fill at which point everything still grinds to a halt. Any ideas? As I say, if I dump 6 and reinstall 5, the same download list continues through these problems without stalling.
idbirch2
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/12/03

Re: Complete download stalls (RC1)

Postby idbirch2 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:53 pm

This is even worse than I thought - I have manually extracted the encrypted archive at the top of the download list, removed it from the download list and still have the same problem. Current state:

This is why I have to keep going back to v5 (which I must have done 4 times now) but I don't want to be stuck on that version forever - please figure this out!
idbirch2
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:21 pm

I'd install and run procmon, filter on Newsbin's EXE and see what it's doing. The fact the cache drops to zero suggests it's just busy doing something with your disk drives. I have no way or reproducing what you're doing so, any fix might be problematic. When the cache drops to zero, it stops downloading because there's no place to put the new data.

You're doing crazy volumes of traffic and I've never tested that.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby idbirch2 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:54 am

OK, I'll try that next time it happens and let you know.
idbirch2
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:26 am

What might be missing is that there's some step that runs quickly for me, so I don't tickle the progress bar, that runs slow for you. If Procmon reveals what this is, maybe I can give some visual feedback.

What kind of machine is this? Some of those monster files might take 30 minutes to repair.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support