Status Updating

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Status Updating

Postby ciaraldi » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:15 pm

I have been using Newsbin 5.x for years, and just recently started using 6. I currently have RC2 build 976 running on 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

When I pick a post which is listed as "Idle/New" and select "Download", it appears in the Download List but its status in the top window does not change. Once it has finished, its status does change to "Downloaded". In version 5 there could be a slight delay, but as soon as the post appeared in the Download List its status in the top window would change to "Pending".

Is anyone else noticing this? Was this an intentional change?
ciaraldi
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/16/09

Re: Status Updating

Postby ciaraldi » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:33 pm

I should mention that there is one change visible: All the way on the left, the icon changes to a blue circle with a check mark in it, indicating (according to the Icon Legend) that the post is now in the Download List.
ciaraldi
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby b38kje2nq » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:35 am

ciaraldi wrote:I have been using Newsbin 5.x for years, and just recently started using 6. I currently have RC2 build 976 running on 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

When I pick a post which is listed as "Idle/New" and select "Download", it appears in the Download List but its status in the top window does not change. Once it has finished, its status does change to "Downloaded". In version 5 there could be a slight delay, but as soon as the post appeared in the Download List its status in the top window would change to "Pending".

Is anyone else noticing this? Was this an intentional change?

+1: icons to the left update immediately, while status only gets updated after downloading.
b38kje2nq
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/05/07

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:54 am

Might just be "the way it is". I'll make a note of it. The status does change but, there's no repaint notification. So, you don't see the status change unless you move the mouse over it or force a repaint.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby b38kje2nq » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:04 am

Quade wrote:Might just be "the way it is". I'll make a note of it. The status does change but, there's no repaint notification. So, you don't see the status change unless you move the mouse over it or force a repaint.

That would explain the problem I had reproducing this bug when reporting it against beta 14. Glad to hear it's diagnosed; will any fix make 6.00 or will it be later?
b38kje2nq
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/05/07

Postby ciaraldi » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:22 am

Thanks, Quade.

Having the text status change is convenient. I see that sorting by status is not hooked up yet. Being able to sort that way has been very handy in the past, because it makes it easy to tell what posts I have already decided to download. Several months ago I submitted a bug report for the latest version 5: sorting by status did not work correctly: interspersed with the Idle/New would be some Pendings.

You know what would be really convenient would be buttons on the post list to say show/hide downloaded and show/hide pending. That's easy for me to say -- I don't have to write the code!
ciaraldi
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support