Bad XML line...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Bad XML line...

Postby g51 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:29 am

In 6.0RC1, a "Bad XML line XXX" message is still added in the logs every few seconds, probably due to "scanning the NZB autoload folder" as stated in this topic by Quade. "Status tab logging" is set to normal. Are these log entries really necessary? Couldn't they appear only in "verbose" or "debug" mode?
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/16/11

Re: Bad XML line...

Postby Quade » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:47 am

If you load an NZB, you probably want to know if it's corrupt or not. How about cleaning out the autoload folder?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby g51 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:11 am

Quade wrote:If you load an NZB, you probably want to know if it's corrupt or not.

Ok, i accept that.

Quade wrote:How about cleaning out the autoload folder?

I've set my autoload folder to the folder i use for all downloads, so at any moment it will contain some files. Currently it contains a few files (~15) but none of them is XML or NZB so why would NewsBin try to open files with any other extension than NZB (i.e. exe or zip)?
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby itimpi » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:17 am

g51 wrote:
Quade wrote:I've set my autoload folder to the folder i use for all downloads, so at any moment it will contain some files. Currently it contains a few files (~15) but none of them is XML or NZB so why would NewsBin try to open files with any other extension than NZB (i.e. exe or zip)?

Newsbin will look inside ZIP files and RAR files to see if they contain NZB files. it is strongly recommended that you do not set the NZB Autoload folder to be the same as the Download folder as Newsbin will then be constantly scanning any downloaded ZIP or RAR files looking for NZB files, and this can detrimentally affect performance.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:47 am

Yeah, some web sites deliver NZB's as zips or rars.

I can understand how it would be annoying but, I'm not clear on a way to show errors when you want them but, not all the time.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby g51 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:58 am

Quade wrote:Yeah, some web sites deliver NZB's as zips or rars.

I can understand how it would be annoying but, I'm not clear on a way to show errors when you want them but, not all the time.

Hmmm, how about a config option "scan only .nzb files" or even better "also scan .zip and .rar"?
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby mho » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:59 am

I don't use nzb, but I still get this message when loading stuff from internet search.
(rc3)

Does search return results in the form of a (corrupt) nzb?

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby g51 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:07 am

mho wrote:I don't use nzb, but I still get this message when loading stuff from internet search.
(rc3)

Does search return results in the form of a (corrupt) nzb?

- mho

Now that you mention it, i deleted every file from the NZB folder (but not the subfolders though) and i still get this message. Perhaps it's something else...
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:55 am

Again, just try setting the auto download folder elsewhere, as recommended, and see if you still have issues.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby g51 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:13 am

DThor wrote:Again, just try setting the auto download folder elsewhere, as recommended, and see if you still have issues.

DT

Nope, no log entries when the NZB autoload is set to a completely empty folder.

I still support the "config option "scan only .nzb files" or even better "also scan .zip and .rar"" idea though.
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:21 am

This was covered back when first implemented, even using that system, you get a crapload of constant processing and disk grinding for nothing. Lots of very unhappy users. I'm of the opinion that Newsbin shouldn't even allow you to have the same autoload/download folder. It should just yell at you.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby g51 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:41 am

DThor wrote:This was covered back when first implemented, even using that system, you get a crapload of constant processing and disk grinding for nothing. Lots of very unhappy users.

It could just scan the given folder (but not subfolders), try each file once and when finished, it could store the largest date of the files scanned in the .nbi. Next time it could just scan only newer files.

I'm sure if it has already been discussed, many ideas like that one came up so i'll just drop the matter. I've already completely removed the path from the .nbi...

DThor wrote:I'm of the opinion that Newsbin shouldn't even allow you to have the same autoload/download folder. It should just yell at you.

Hmmm... that may not be easy to implement (correctly)...

Anyway, thanks for the info.
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:37 am

It could just scan the given folder (but not subfolders),

Scanning sub-folders is a feature. It lets you organize your downloads by dumping your NZB's into specific folders and telling Newsbin to use these folders as part of the destination folder.

I don't consider the bad XML message to be that much of an issue. Why does it matter? You know you can disable the main popup error window? It's mainly there for the noobs. Experienced people know to look in the logging tab.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby g51 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:11 am

Quade wrote:Scanning sub-folders is a feature. It lets you organize your downloads by dumping your NZB's into specific folders and telling Newsbin to use these folders as part of the destination folder.

I suspected so, i just don't use it that way. I just have a global "downloads" folder and i expected it to autoload any NZBs found in it and then delete them from there without bothering me much. It's a simpler way than what you describe.

Quade wrote:You know you can disable the main popup error window?

I can :?: :!: :?: :!: ... :shock: :)
Where is that please?

Quade wrote:Experienced people know to look in the logging tab.

I know. I got irritated by the counter on the log tab constantly being updated with those XML error messages, even when newsbin was idle so i ended up closing it (the log tab). Currently i've re-opened it and disabled the NZB autoload path so it's more quiet now.

The hole concept is not that important to me. From what i understood, it's designed to work in a more rich way than what i need, which is causing me some issues (constantly trying to read and process all files in my downloads folder is not that efficient and i find the constant increment of log entries irritating, even when newsbin is idle). Anyway, as i said, i decided to disable that feature, after all one can always manually add an NZB so...
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby b38kje2nq » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:17 am

Quade wrote:You know you can disable the main popup error window? It's mainly there for the noobs. Experienced people know to look in the logging tab.

I'm not a big fan of the popup error window (which may or may not indicate I have *some* experience... :)), but the one advantage it has over the logging tab is that it summarizes any errors, unlike the logging tab where you have to copy the entire log, paste it in a text editor and search for "error". I can't find a way to get back the popup error window once hidden; is there any way and if not, would it be an idea to add a way to show and hide it again?
b38kje2nq
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/05/07

Postby b38kje2nq » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:20 am

g51 wrote:

Where is that please?

Options > Confirmation Windows > Error Popup.
b38kje2nq
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/05/07

Postby g51 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:36 am

b38kje2nq wrote:
g51 wrote:

Where is that please?

Options > Confirmation Windows > Error Popup.

Ah, great. Thanks, i missed that...
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:12 pm

I'm not a big fan of the popup error window (which may or may not indicate I have *some* experience... ), but the one advantage it has over the logging tab is that it summarizes any errors, unlike the logging tab where you have to copy the entire log, paste it in a text editor and search for "error".

Just turn the log level down and disable "Show server commands". Then it'll show mostly the same thing as the popup.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support