Version 6 Release Candidate 3 Available...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Version 6 Release Candidate 3 Available...

Postby dexter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Release Candidate 3 has a number of bug fixes and a couple more missing things have been hooked up

Summary:

• Hooked up sort on Status column
  • Hooked up shortcuts for Hide Old and Show Filenames.
  • Lots of small fixes (details in release notes)

Download link is on the Newsbin Beta Page. I've included an alternate link if the main link doesn't work.

We are working on finalizing translations for Version 6. If your native language is not 100% and you are willing to volunteer to complete a translation of Newsbin, let me know. Anyone helping with the translations will receive a free year of Internet Search. Check the status of the translations on the Newsbin Translation Wiki and contact me if you are interested in helping.

Please reply to this thread or create a new post in this forum if you find any showstopper issues with this release. You can also contact us directly through our Technical Support Form or swing by our irc channel. It's #newsbin on irc.newsbin.com.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Version 6 Release Candidate 3 Available...

Postby phusion » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:53 pm

Thank you for the "Unrar" icon.

I appreciate it.
:D
phusion
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/12/06

Postby mho » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:23 pm

dexter wrote:[*]Hooked up shortcuts for Hide Old and Show Filenames.

This is great, thanks!

If there is a way to in the future keep the view, it would be even greater!
(Doesn't have to be exact; something like scrolling the view so the first (before repaint) selected post is visible after the repaint would do nicely (if it doesn't get hidden by turning on Hide Old, that is - in that case, current behaviour is fine as fallback:-)))

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby mho » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks for fixing the focus when returning from another app (ctrl-R...)!

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby Semel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Hmm i cant understand why im seeing only posts that are set in my filter "global" yet it is not selected anywhere,(filter profile) groups settings dont have it turned on.. i had to deactivate it.

PS it would be nice to be able to manually specify the number of headers one wants to download.. not some fixed numbers only(50000 100000 5000000 etc)
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/25/09

Postby itimpi » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Semel wrote:Hmm i cant understand why im seeing only posts that are set in my filter "global" yet it is not selected anywhere,(filter profile) groups settings dont have it turned on.. i had to deactivate it.

The global filter always applies (in addition to any specific filter you apply).
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby TripHammer » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:36 pm

Ok, I just installed 6.0r3 over the lastest 5x version. I tried to reproduce the 3 pane window setup I had with 5x and no matter how I set it up, or how many different ways I try to, it's not remembered the next time I go to open a group's window. The GOG's that I open, all open in a full window pane behind my other panes. Am I missing something?
TripHammer
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:57 pm

The search tab has to be open and in the position where you want the post tabs to show up. They anchor to the search tab. You probably hid the search tab.

If you delete the "Workspace.xml" file in the data folder, it'll reset the display back to square 1.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby TripHammer » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:21 pm

Ah, that was it....much better now...thanks! :)
TripHammer
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Maelstroem » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Issue with NB not updating Post List when doing a "Download the Latest Group Updates" when downloading headers as they are being posted!

I've just uploaded a post and wanted to see it's progress as I was posting so I could catch any upload errors so I used the "Download the Latest Group Updates" but NB never updated the Post List after downloading the headers, only when I do a 'Show Posts' on the group does NB show the just downloaded headers.

This may be tied into the issue I have with image groups not showing all the headers after downloading them, doing a 'Show Posts' is the only way to see all the headers you just downloaded.

This may be too late to fix for the 'Final' release but it's something to consider for future betas if possible!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/03/03

Postby Maelstroem » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:17 pm

Noticed one other thing that's been happening with headers, in one group (a.b.g.dox) I've seen them download but no posts show mainly because this group I'm checking for headers is a low post group? I only have one server setup for headers (just checked) so can't see why headers are being pulled but no posts showing? e.g. today, did a show posts on that group, clicked the 'latest downloads' button and over 300,000 headers downloaded but there were none to see, so nothing had been posted since last time I checked!!

Looks like the next release (either RC4 or Final) I'll delete NB entirely and start from scratch and see what happens!! Maybe multiple upgrades over the same install has caused some problems, so a fresh install is probably the best option.
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:30 pm

I've had nothing unusual at all with that group. Right click and Download All, that resets your spool better than reinstalling newsbin. Then show all posts. You should see everything that's on the server. If you still see nothing, check the logging tab for messages.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Maelstroem » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:25 pm

I don't think I explained myself clearly!!

I've got all the headers for the group, but NB seems to be pulling headers sometimes when there has been no posts to that group. I checked with Forte Agent and there have been no new posts for about 20 hours, I have the same posts showing in both Forte/NB but NB downloaded over 300,000 headers when I checked a few hours ago so where did those headers come from and where did they go?

A fresh install is probably better as something seems to be pooched!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:32 pm

I doubt a fresh install will change anything. The range.db3 tells Newsbin what to download next from the groups. Maybe it's corrupted for this group.

I can't think of anything you can't fix in Newsbin by deleting a couple files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maelstroem » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Right, I've deleted the Stored Posts and deleted the group in NB, deleted the folder in SPOOL_V6, re-added the group and downloaded all the headers again so we'll see if this cures it.
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby schoon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:39 pm

Quade wrote:The search tab has to be open and in the position where you want the post tabs to show up. They anchor to the search tab. You probably hid the search tab.

If you delete the "Workspace.xml" file in the data folder, it'll reset the display back to square 1.

Very important points. I was going crazy trying to figure out whether the undocked post tabs were by design or not. Thanks!
schoon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/03

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support