some files incomplete

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

some files incomplete

Postby bertm » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:48 pm

I had a couple of files in a.b.documentaries and a.b.tv that showed as incomplete. After waiting a week, seeing no one else commented, I d/led all headers for both groups. The files now showed complete for DL (which I did successfully).

I do frequent DLs each day and I show only a day or two of headers to scan through for selection of files to DL.

If I attempt to DL a file that is taking three or four days to complete and I am only selecting two days to display, would this cause the file to become corrupt - even if the fragments show up in the future?

Would fragments cross-posted to multiple groups cause this?

Is it something that has now been fixed from a previous beta?

Thanks
bertm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/30/06

Re: some files incomplete

Postby Quade » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:27 pm

What server are you using? More then likely it simply wasn't complete at some point on the server, the server people fixed is and your re-download of the header got all the posts including the ones that had been missing earlier.

If your storage age is set to less time than the posting time, you will get bad files. Otherwise, I expect this was just a server hiccup.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: some files incomplete

Postby bertm » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:33 pm

I use Supernews and my ISP is Cox Comm (New England area).

You're probably correct. We had near tornado high winds with hale a couple of weeks ago. Fences down, Trees down, roof shingles missing, vinyl siding cracked, and aluminum trim pitted from the hale. My computer was off, but I'm sure Cox may have had problems. An hour or so after the storm I tried cox phone/internet service to no avail.

But this has happened in the past as well (although I can't remember the weather circumstances - but no weather was as bad as this!). But the server would be Supernews anyway and I don't know where they are located.
bertm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/30/06

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support