Configurations

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Configurations

Postby ddaniel51 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:06 am

I see we still have a "Save configuration as" in the file menu. I REALLY miss having a " Load configuration " choice in the file menu so I can work individually with different defined groups and servers and Not have it all being forced into one catch all configuration.
ddaniel51
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Re: Configurations

Postby itimpi » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:26 am

ddaniel51 wrote:I see we still have a "Save configuration as" in the file menu. I REALLY miss having a " Load configuration " choice in the file menu so I can work individually with different defined groups and servers and Not have it all being forced into one catch all configuration.

Apparently there are technical problems with loading a Configuration dynamically while Newsbin is running. This is why the facility was removed in early V5 days.

However you CAN provide a configuration file at Newsbin launch time to start Newsbin with that Configuration file being used. This can be done either by double-clicking the NBI file to launch Newsbin, or by passing it in as a command line parameter.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:52 am

At one point having multiple configurations made sense. I don't see the point any more so, it's been depreciated. It's still supported but, Newsbin doesn't help you do it.

There were a bunch of problems with changing the configuration on the fly. What it the data folder moved? What if the download folder moved? What about changing servers so, that files already in the download list fail to download. So, I removed support for changing configurations. Since you can set up groups of groups (Topics) and each group of groups has it's own options, I see no point to multiple configuration files anymore anyway.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ddaniel51 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:32 am

Ok thanks guys for reminding me why. :)
ddaniel51
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support