Orphan NB2 files

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Orphan NB2 files

Postby slim186 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:41 pm

I've seen this issue with the last few beta and RC versions, including the pre-release. Occasionally I get orphan NB2 files in the download folders. They are all PAR files that seem to have been downloading while the set is unrar-ing. I can't delete them manually while Newsbin is running because they are locked by the Newsbin process. Is there a way to make Newsbin either clean these up or at least release the file lock?
slim186
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/01/08

Re: Orphan NB2 files

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:03 am

Are you manually unpausing the par files in the download list? It shouldn't be downloading them if it's in the middle of unraring/repairing.

Maybe it's some oversight but, you ought not see these NB2's. How big are these files? Shouldn't see NB2's at all if the files are under, I think 20 megs (default).
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby slim186 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:24 am

I'm not doing anything special to the PARs or downloads. I've got two right now, one is 20,625kb and one is 36,750kb. I haven't been paying that close of attention when it happens but the source files are decompressed just fine. Sometimes I have noticed that it does download the first block of the next group of files before continuing, could that be the cause?
slim186
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/01/08

Postby DThor » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:37 am

My experience with this has led me to believe that 90% of these scenarios come from interference with a download being processed, one way or another. That's probably a good indication that Newsbin probably could use a little better feedback during a couple of stages of processing.

One of the most common is a recent file that's incomplete, but has sufficient pars. Newsbin will wait by default, rather than par fix. You can kick it the correct way, assemble incompletes, or you can start fiddling with it more messily and potentially cause this issue. It's not always immediately obvious why the file is just sitting there, again at some point it would be nice to see this scenario communicate itself a little more clearly, to avoid confusion. I'm personally a fan of 'just clear the queue ', but then I'm not downloading 50G posts either...

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:05 pm

Increasing the size of the file cache might solve this for you too. If the file cache size > file size, Newsbin will download the entire file into memory and write it out in one shot.

[SETTINGS]
MemCacheLimit=X

X is in megs.

If you have lots of ram, you might set this to 100-200 megs.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support