AutoPAR/UnRAR how-to & Feature request

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

AutoPAR/UnRAR how-to & Feature request

Postby slee » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:31 pm

I first have to say that I love the new interface. It's almost exactly what I've always wanted. Excellent work!!

Now my question. Here is how I use the program. I select the files I wish to download, right click, and select Download to New Folder. Files download, life is good. However, I noticed that all the par files are also downloaded (sometimes resulting in 100's of megs worth of unnecessary downloads). So, I read here that AutoPAR needed to be enabled to keep Newsbin from download all the par's. I left Automatically UnRAR disabled. What I want to happen, is download the files to my selected folder, check the files and repair is necessary, then be done (disappear from the download list). How do I get this behavior?

My feature request. It seems more and more people are flooding the news groups with spam (viruses). When I select to block a poster (many thanks for this feature), how can I get it to stop going clear to the top of the file list. I then have to find where I left off. Instead, I'd like to be left at the first subject either before or after the blocked poster. This way I don't have to scroll through hundreds and hundreds of subjects to get back to where I was.

Thanks in advance for any help.
slee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/01

Re: AutoPAR/UnRAR how-to & Feature request

Postby itimpi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:12 pm

slee wrote:Now my question. Here is how I use the program. I select the files I wish to download, right click, and select Download to New Folder. Files download, life is good. However, I noticed that all the par files are also downloaded (sometimes resulting in 100's of megs worth of unnecessary downloads). So, I read here that AutoPAR needed to be enabled to keep Newsbin from download all the par's. I left Automatically UnRAR disabled. What I want to happen, is download the files to my selected folder, check the files and repair is necessary, then be done (disappear from the download list). How do I get this behavior?

In the current release you can get newsbin to download the pars and repair the set, but if the autounrar is disabled the entries do not get removed from the Download list.

I know that Quade is looking at revisiting this behavior as a number of people have asked for files that have passed file checking/repair should be removed with AutoUnrar disabled. I can see rationales for both the current behavior and the requested one. I guess that means that Quade should probably make it a configurable option so that users can select the behavior they prefer.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support