Header download stops after a few seconds

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Header download stops after a few seconds

Postby dewimmerman » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:57 pm

Since I updated news bin to 601 beta 6 the header download stops after some seconds . (a.b.hdtv / a.b.hdtv.x264)
It loads some headers and then it stops. There are no error messages and the status shows downloading but the download
speed drops to zero before the download has finished.
I use Supernews for the news server. It looks like the connection drops but there's no problem downloading a big file.
It's only the header download where the problem is.
Is there somebody else with this problem?
dewimmerman
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/23/03

Re: Header download stops after a few seconds

Postby Quade » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:03 pm

In the options, change it to "Background Mode". Then restart and try again.

What kind of disk is the data folder on? What's happening is it downloads some headers and then tries to write them out to disk. That's when you see the speed drop to zero.
Background mode will make it quickly write the headers to disk and allow them to import in the background. B6 shows the number of waiting imports down near the cache indicator on the status bar.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Baignoire » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:57 pm

le dl des headers sur newshosting est catastrophique meme avec mode
Baignoire
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/14/04

Postby Quade » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:04 pm

One thing I'd suggest with newshosting is to disable "Xfeatures" in the server options. I don't think their version is compatible with Newsbin and I don't have an account to test on yet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dewimmerman » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:05 pm

Thanks Quade.
I changed the background mode and now it seems to work.
The only strange thing is why it stopped working. I never changed that option.
But now it works so who matters :)
dewimmerman
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/23/03

Postby Baignoire » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:38 am

pour moi c'est toujours très compliquer je n'avais pas ce problème ne beta 4 bizzard
Baignoire
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/14/04

Postby Moondawgie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:57 pm

I experience the same problem, and am wondering if, as described in the below message posted by a member of the staff at Giganews to the usenet newsgroup giganews.vyprvpn, I'm not "saturating" my VPN connections, and that's what's stalling Newsbin.

Does Newsbin recognize, report, and deal with problems involving VPN connections?

With my usual use of Newsbin 6 B6 with six standard SSL connections to Giganews (3) and Easynews (3), the speed of my downloads often exceeds the provisioned 20mbps of my cable internet connection (Speedtest shows average of 24mbps). With such connections Newsbin's stalls seem to be due to Newsbin pausing of the retrieval of headers and messages in order to write data to my hard drive (SATA, 10,000 RPM, 6.0GB/s).

When I use a VyprVPN connection (SSL disabled in Newsbin), speed drops to about 14mbps, but it's rare that Newsbin doesn't completely cease the retrieval of new headers and the downloading of messages, without displaying any reason as to the cause.

Path: border1.nntp.dca3.giganews.com!border3.nntp.dca.giganews.com!Xl.tags.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!local2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:30:48 -0500
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:30:48 -0500
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.20) Gecko/20110804 Thunderbird/3.1.12
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: giganews.vyprvpn
Subject: Re: Vpn dropping out continuously - VyprVpn.jpg (0/1)
References: <eef157d14m48lmfoqm4m82e42j11kkbj1l@4ax.com> <StqdncqlCrNNy8_TnZ2dnUVZ_t2dnZ2d@giganews.com> <pgp457h5b8r21l155usrhiu03gv45hhcsi@4ax.com> <t-WdnZNwWcM59M_TnZ2dnUVZ_uudnZ2d@giganews.com> <60f557dpm4qatog0bhdhrehhk0kqllkq5l@4ax.com>
In-Reply-To: <60f557dpm4qatog0bhdhrehhk0kqllkq5l@4ax.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-ID: <S7idnfMH3tkVV8_TnZ2dnUVZ_t-dnZ2d@giganews.com>
Lines: 73
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-mCxpkqyhlHubyv/OnoKiJOiTuKeJNG/IWXieiDwPahRHfgboRjNNINZo/svrilCKzZTd/oyQowX3f0K!0yJv7hyy+nE6Q1DWA4T6cwOpIjO/mwBWuoSnpEdCKlGX048ZZuTJvP+x1xVMYQk1Jp8Dp4mykxS4!pWU=
X-Complaints-To: abuse@giganews.com
X-DMCA-Notifications: http://www.giganews.com/info/dmca.html
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
Bytes: 4181
X-Original-Bytes: 4075
Xref: number.nntp.dca.giganews.com giganews.vyprvpn:2341

Your system isn't going to sleep, is it? That does interrupt the VPN, but it would affect normal downloading too. That is, even without the VPN, if you started a download and it went to sleep there would be no
progress. But, it's worth checking the Power Options control panel to see what your settings are.

Another possibility is that you're saturating the VPN connection with the download, and that's causing the control connection to time out. If you're downloading from Usenet, it could help to lower the number of
connections. For other types of downloading, you may be able to put a speed cap.

Finally, have you tried the Hong Kong server (hk1.vpn.giganews.com)?

Brad
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Postby Quade » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:57 pm

Basically a VPN is just another Ethernet port . Newsbin has no knowledge that you're using a VPN.

You might not be saturating your end but, there's no telling what the output end of the VPN looks like. If a bunch of other people are VPNing at the same time the other end has to have sufficient pipe too, to keep the data flowing. When you use a VPN, it's like you're on a cable system. There's a shared end point for people using the VPN.

I can't argue with Brad's suggestions. You might want to watch the windows event log, assuming it shows when the VPN comes up and down
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support