Low Disk space warning - it starts paused downloads!!!

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Low Disk space warning - it starts paused downloads!!!

Postby RayMark » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:16 am

Yes, the low disk space warning actually prevents from stopping downloads and causes to run out of the disk space!!!

Turns out, I have run out of the disk space and this warning popped up:
"Newsbin Paused - Low Disk space on Download folder Drive"

So I paused all the downloads ("Paused" on red background) and pressed OK to get rid of the warning box.
Unfortunately, when pressing OK, downloads resume (the red box goes away), they do not remain paused.
And then I pause downloads immediately again, but still after some time the same warning box pops up again.
It pops up even though downloads are paused at the time (I can understand why, it is not the issue here).
But the only way to get rid of this box (which remains on top of all the windows) is to either press OK or to press X in its corner.
Both actions cause downloads to resume again - WHICH IS INSANE - and so on.
The disk space eventually goes down to zero literally, thanks to this warning box.

This is clearly a bug - if downloads are already paused (manually by me) they should remain paused after the warning box is closed.
If the downloads were halted temporarily by this warning, then after closing it they may resume, I guess.

The only work-around, I guess, is to make more free disk space while this annoying box stays on the screen and only then close it.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Re: Low Disk space warning - it starts paused downloads!!!

Postby DThor » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:27 am

So the out of space warning stays in the front, even in front of other programs? I've never had this happen so I don't know. What's supposed to happen afaik is that warning pops up, and as it clearly says, newsbin should be paused at that point. You shouldn't have to close it to pause anything. When you close that warning, newsbin assumes you've dealt with the problem and picks up again. Running out of space is a critical scenario, so it should effectively block newsbin from doing anything until you close it.

If it's punching in front of other applications, or not pausing newsbin, then I agree that's not best behaviour, or wrong in the case of not pausing , but otherwise that's working as expected.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby RayMark » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Yes, it is staying on top of all other windows.

But I disagree that after closing this warning Newsbin should always resume downloading.
It should not resume downloading if it was already paused at the time the warning popped up, it should remain paused (still finishing downloading what it finishes when posed, but no more).

Now, the combination of both staying on top and un-pausing causes this problem:

Here is the scenario:

1. The warning popped up.
Because it stays on top, I closed it and paused Newsbin immediately, so I can take care of the free space without that warning on top
2. When paused, Newsbin still is downloading, finishing already started threads. So it resumes some limited downloading. That causes the warning to pop up again.
But notice, this time Newsbin is already in "paused" state, so, after closing the warning it should stay paused. But no, it starts downloading again, no longer paused !!!
3. And so on - the solution probably is to close Newsbin altogether instead of pausing.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DaveXVI » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:59 pm

RayMark wrote: the solution probably is to close Newsbin altogether instead of pausing.

I agree it shouldn't work the way it does. I disagree the solution is to close Newsbin. It should just be fixed so that if you pause something, it stays paused until you unpause it.
DaveXVI
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/23/04

Postby RayMark » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:07 am

yes, I meant a workaround until it is fixed
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:03 am

Me personally, I think the only thing wrong here is newsbin shouldn't have the dialog 'take over' your interface to windows. It should be local to newsbin and let you get on with solving the problem, then resume when you close it. I don't see the point in adding different interim behaviour. This *is* supposed to be a rare scenario.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby pjcamp » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:28 pm

That behavior has been a problem for years. The low space warning dialog pops up every five seconds (I timed it) and will not get out of the way until you attend to it. It stays in from of all other windows, dead center of the screen, obscuring your view of everything until you click it out of the way (which brings Newsbin to the front so you now have to send it back again). Five seconds later, back again.

It would be nice to have a way to disable the damn thing. Since Windows already has a low space warning, this one is superfluous as well as annoying. In any case, the maximum number of warnings that should be issued is one.
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/25/07

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:18 pm

I think the proper response is to go clear some disk space. Basically Newsbin can't go any farther without damaging downloaded files. It's a critical error you need to fix before download can continue.

Perhaps I don't understand why you want to click it away without clearing space first?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby pjcamp » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:52 pm

Because you can't clear space because the warning popup is in the way. Because you can't click it away because it will return 5 seconds later. Because you can't pause Newsbin and deal with the space issue later as it continues to complain. If it wants to stop, that's fine. That's good behavior. If it want's to pop up a warning, that's fine too. That's also good behavior. But a blizzard of warnings, each one of which seizes control of the screen and won't budge until you click it away, and then returns almost instantly -- that's not good behavior. As long as the download is paused, nothing bad can happen to my disk, and it should be ok for me to wait until I have an opportunity to move some files around. Who says download has to continue right away right now? Maybe I want to finish writing my email first.
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/25/07

Postby grantboucher » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Creating a new Downloads directory and putting a placeholder text file within (so it wouldn't be auto-deleted) solved the false disk space error message. Thanks!
grantboucher
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/10/03

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:56 pm

Because you can't clear space because the warning popup is in the way. Because you can't click it away because it will return 5 seconds later.

You can just alt-tab away from Newsbin.

I experimented with this and had no issue opening a new explorer window and deleting files from the download drive so, I'm unclear why you can't do it too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support