A couple minor bugs

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

A couple minor bugs

Postby DaveXVI » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:19 am

First, thank you, thank you, thank you for the fix that puts pars into the wish list if you have Autopar disabled. I still don't understand why the switch that says "Disable Autopar Unpausing" doesn't work, but at least putting them in the Wish List saves a lot of manual effort when downloading posts.

This weekend was the first time I had a chance to test it. It seems to work well, but there is something funny going on, too.

The pars go into the Wish List all right, but some of the parts of the main post show up again at the bottom of the Download List after they have already been downloaded. Not all of them, and not every time, and I haven't been able to see any pattern to it. In a post with 50 parts, maybe the first 12 parts show up at the bottom of the list some time after they've already been downloaded. I usually just queue up a bunch of downloads and then go do other things, so I can't tell you whether they appear one at a time after they've been downloaded, or all at once, and I can't tell you how often it happens, but it happens often enough that I noticed it a couple of times in a couple of days.

When I noticed it, I let a few of them get to the top of the list, and they just disappeared after Newsbin attempted to download them. NB didn't download a second copy of them, and it didn't put them in the Failed Download list as duplicates, so maybe it's no big deal, but obviously something is askew, and it makes the stats about remaining bytes and completion time for the Download List unreliable. Still, the feature is a great improvement, so please don't change it back.

One other thing to report --- this has been happening for the last few months, so it's not related, but about half the time when I start Newsbin, I just get a message box with "Newsbin 50" in the caption, and a triangle with an exclamation point in the middle. No text in the box. I close it, and nothing happens. I start Newsbin again, and it comes up normally. I don't think I've ever had the restart fail, and I haven't noticed any pattern about what else I'm running when it happens. I definitely have plenty of memory and disk space, so it's not that.

If nobody else has reported it, it might have something to do with VS runtime libraries, because I have both VS2010 Express and the VS11 Developer Preview installed. Using Win7-64 SP1.
DaveXVI
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/23/04

Re: A couple minor bugs

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:32 am

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=29835

I explain what's happening here. Pretty sure I'm going to have to put compaction back in to fix it. Pars will still go where you tell them though.

One other thing to report --- this has been happening for the last few months, so it's not related, but about half the time when I start Newsbin, I just get a message box with "Newsbin 50" in the caption, and a triangle with an exclamation point in the middle. No text in the box. I close it, and nothing happens. I start Newsbin again, and it comes up normally. I don't think I've ever had the restart fail, and I haven't noticed any pattern about what else I'm running when it happens. I definitely have plenty of memory and disk space, so it's not that

Normally, I suspect virus infection or bad ram when this happens. It's possible it's related to having VC installed but, not likely. I have 2010 and preview installed and never get that. Right not, I just don't know. You're the only one to report this just yet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DaveXVI » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:50 am

Quade wrote:https://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=29835

One other thing to report --- this has been happening for the last few months, so it's not related, but about half the time when I start Newsbin, I just get a message box with "Newsbin 50" in the caption, and a triangle with an exclamation point in the middle. No text in the box. I close it, and nothing happens. I start Newsbin again, and it comes up normally. I don't think I've ever had the restart fail, and I haven't noticed any pattern about what else I'm running when it happens. I definitely have plenty of memory and disk space, so it's not that

Normally, I suspect virus infection or bad ram when this happens. It's possible it's related to having VC installed but, not likely. I have 2010 and preview installed and never get that. Right not, I just don't know. You're the only one to report this just yet.

It's no big deal; just takes a second to restart. I won't say it's impossible that it's a virus, but if it is, it's the only symptom, and it's been happening for months, with dozens of other programs working fine.

One other thing I do that maybe your other customers don't, is all my drives are encrypted with TrueCrypt, which does on the fly encryption and decryption of all disk reads and writes. But again, if that's the problem, this is the only symptom.
DaveXVI
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/23/04

Postby RayMark » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:15 am

Your duplicated posts just disappear because thy are detected as duplicated.
But I often do not use duplicate detection and, unfortunately, they are downloaded the 2nd time, so it is then a bigger deal - hundreds of gigabytes were downloaded again the first time before I became aware of the problem.
And I think that all the posts are eventually duplicated, or close to all, but the duplicates in the download list appear with various delays, not at once, so it might only seem that only some are duplicated.
I got everything duplicated before I started removing duplications manually from the download list.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support