6.30 RC2

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

6.30 RC2

Postby MilesAhead » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:44 pm

Post window updates are very snappy now. The major annoyance is speed limiter. If I set the slider to the max and enable it, my download is cut to about 60% of my max. But if I use anything that takes bandwidth, like a browser, it takes bandwidth away from Newbin instead of using the surplus. Really weird.

(when I say takes bandwidth away from Newsbin I mean if NB is running at about 13 Mb/s and I start browsing, NB drops to about 8 Mb/s instead of the browser using the reserve bandwidth.)
Windows Seven 32 bit no SP
HP Pavilion AMD 5200+ dual core
2 GB ram
MilesAhead
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/23/06

Re: 6.30 RC2

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:03 am

There's really no such thing as "Reserve" bandwidth. When you turn the BW limiter on. Newsbin tries to use no more than the setting. If something else consumes bandwidth, nothing prevents it from cutting into Newsbin's speed and reducing it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby MilesAhead » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:45 am

Quade wrote:There's really no such thing as "Reserve" bandwidth. When you turn the BW limiter on. Newsbin tries to use no more than the setting. If something else consumes bandwidth, nothing prevents it from cutting into Newsbin's speed and reducing it.

I've used Giganews Accelerator speed limit for years. It doesn't act like this. Just browsing pages shouldn't bring the news reader download to a crawl. Something is definitely broken. I'm not even downloading in the browser. Just surfing. Looks like I need to set GA back up again.

edit: Just put GA back into action. I can set NB to download at a steady 17 Mb while surfing. It never dips at all if I'm only browsing. Don't know what's up but the built in speed limit always acted a bit weird.
2 GB ram
MilesAhead
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby DThor » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:09 am

I don't see this behaviour at all, so time to consider something your end. Quade is quite correct in that you can't reserve bandwidth, the concept isn't there. It's windows that's making the decision how to allocate resources, all newsbin can do is limit it's own usage. That's the way you design a contemporary OS, you don't allow user processes access to that, it would completely throw multitasking out the window.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:38 am

I'm just saying that your interpretation of how the limiter works is wrong. Not that things are peachy.

Tell me about your PC. I wonder if the BW limiter is CPU bound and when you put Newsbin in the background it can't keep up when the limiter is on.

Don't know what's up but the built in speed limit always acted a bit weird.

I can't argue with this.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby MilesAhead » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:30 pm

DThor wrote:I don't see this behaviour at all, so time to consider something your end. Quade is quite correct in that you can't reserve bandwidth, the concept isn't there. It's windows that's making the decision how to allocate resources, all newsbin can do is limit it's own usage. That's the way you design a contemporary OS, you don't allow user processes access to that, it would completely throw multitasking out the window.

DT

Why is how things work on your machine impetus for me to change my behavior? It's not so on my machines. Those are the ones I'm using. Seizing on "reserve bandwidth" semantics betrays the weakness of your argument. I have two different machines using 2 programs with speed limiting features. One always works predictably. The other doesn't. And this is over a prolonged period. To me that sums it up. I gave the NB speed limiter a go because it would save me running GA since the header compression does work fine. But I use the speed limiter too often to ignore it. The alternative is just leave NB on Full Speed, but then I tend to get that error box that asks if I should hide it until the end of the session. Instead I've just made a hack to launch both GA and NB as needed via one icon.
2 GB ram
MilesAhead
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:50 pm

I'm in "Wonder why this is happening to him" mode. I have no opinions or suggestions. Well, maybe one, reducing connections and running without the limiter will make line sharing work better.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support