Watch Topics feature usage

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Watch Topics feature usage

Postby rh » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:27 am

I'm trying to decide how/what to use this for as the thought of it intrigued me. Autodownload is something I don't anticipate using. Let me see if I understand the usage and current limits in the Beta...

Limited to individual GOG's. So I'll need duplicate watches set up or have to combine some GOG's.
Only one search string can be used - until Use Profile is hooked up.

I can see Use Profile as being a major benefit. So let's pretend that's hooked up. Currently I have a Filter Profile setup for a GOG. When I open the GOG or individual groups within, the profile is applied and my view is filtered to those posts that match the Filter Profile.

When Watch is fully implemented, I'll be able to create an entry specifying the GOG and existing Filter Profile. Then after the GOG is processed for new headers, all the posts matching my Filter Profile will be placed in the Watch Topics entry I created?

So it's the same as opening the GOG with a Filter Profile active except that view is created dynamically during header download and the results are easier to manage because getting to them at a later time doesn't require waiting for the GOG or group to load and be processed?

Does that all sound right?
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/27/04

Re: Watch Topics feature usage

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 am

Limited to individual GOG's. So I'll need duplicate watches set up or have to combine some GOG's.

1 - You don't need to set a GOG at all. Some of mine are watching all groups. If you set nothing, records for all the group will get checked.

When Watch is fully implemented, I'll be able to create an entry specifying the GOG and existing Filter Profile. Then after the GOG is processed for new headers, all the posts matching my Filter Profile will be placed in the Watch Topics entry I created?

That's how it works now. The matches are copied to the watch. That means if a file matches multiple watches, there can be multiple copies in various watch windows.

I wouldn't hold my breath in the filter profile thing.

So it's the same as opening the GOG with a Filter Profile active except that view is created dynamically during header download and the results are easier to manage because getting to them at a later time doesn't require waiting for the GOG or group to load and be processed

Pretty much. You can use it however you wish. I don't autodownload any of my watches. I just keep an eye on them and load them when the counts go up.

I might be able to do profiles but, only in relation to headers. Eventually watch will be polling the search server too so, you don't need to download headers at all to fill in the watch entries.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby rh » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:33 pm

Wow, has it really been nearly 3 years :shock:

Another recent forum post peaked my interest again. Is Filter Profile is now working? It's there, I can choose a filter. Afterwards the chosen filter shows up in the Filter Profile column in the Groups List. But editing the Watch List again reveals no Filter Profile selected :?:
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/27/04

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:56 pm

It's not 100% working. It's close though.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support