Selecting files causes highlighting to go nuts

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Selecting files causes highlighting to go nuts

Postby jlindquist » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:52 am

I haven't seen this problem posted by anyone else, but it only happens in NewsBin. In the latest download, after I have made a few file selections for downloading, the highlighting starts following the cursor, up and down the grid. I can't get it to stop in some groups and I can't figure out what is triggering this behavior. Has anyone else seen this?
JL
jlindquist
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/22/07

Re: Selecting files causes highlighting to go nuts

Postby BZee » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:38 am

I believe I know what you mean and have see it in other programs too. When it happens, try pressing "Shift" or "Ctrl".
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/13/03

Postby Moondawgie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:45 pm

jlindquist wrote:I haven't seen this problem posted by anyone else, but it only happens in NewsBin. In the latest download, after I have made a few file selections for downloading, the highlighting starts following the cursor, up and down the grid. I can't get it to stop in some groups and I can't figure out what is triggering this behavior. Has anyone else seen this?
JL

I'm seeing this too. The problem started during the beta cycle for Newsbin Pro Version 6.53x, and I only see it when using Newsbin Pro. I didn't report it earlier as I was experiencing problems which turned out to be caused by a combination of hardware (defective Logitech USB G400 mouse) and software (Incompatibilities between the mouse introduced with Windows 8.1 Update 1) problems. It took 3 weeks, but a warranty replacement from Logitech arrived the day before yesterday. It's installation to my computer system, coupled with a clean installation of Windows 8.1 Update 1, resolved all but this problem with Newsbin.

Pressing "Shift" or "Ctrl" doesn't have any effect. I have to exit, and then restart Newsbin to correct this behavior. It occurs sporadically, and I haven't yet discerned any particular event, or series of events, which causes this behavior, other than it happens only when selecting messages from the Posts windows for download. (Press and hold CTRl while left clicking to highlight selections).

There are no corresponding entries in the Windows Event or Newsbin logs.
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Postby Quade » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:59 pm

Wonder if you all are using the same mice? I'm not seeing any issue like this.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby JHawk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:15 am

I too have had this problem, only once mind and was with RC4.

Closed and reopened newsbin and it went back to normal.
JHawk
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/17/04

Postby Moondawgie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:29 pm

It's merely an annoyance, and not a show stopper.

My purpose for posting was to let the creator of this message thread know that he's not alone with the problem.

I'm wondering if the changes affecting the use of a mouse in the Windows 8 (64 bit) environment introduced with the installations of Windows 8.1, and/or it's Update 1, might be what is affecting our use of Newsbin.

All of the components of my present computer system are detailed below in my forum user signature.
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Postby BZee » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:10 am

Probably not the same mouse but the same OS (Windows 8.1). In ACDSee and Windows Explorer as well as in Newsbin I can create weird behavior by holding the Ctrl key while selecting a number of scattered files in a long file list.
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby orygun » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:29 am

Win7, logitech trackball (six or seven years old); same as OP, but just once with latest build (6.53, 3311). Singled to one file and hit delete cured it.
orygun
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/04/04

Postby BZee » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:57 am

jlindquist wrote:I haven't seen this problem posted by anyone else, but it only happens in NewsBin. In the latest download, after I have made a few file selections for downloading, the highlighting starts following the cursor, up and down the grid. I can't get it to stop in some groups and I can't figure out what is triggering this behavior. Has anyone else seen this?
JL

I ran into this yesterday with Newsbin - haven't seen it with other programs yet. The "the highlighting starts following the cursor, up and down the grid" is with mouse movement only (no keyboard keys or mouse buttons were pressed or held). Pressing "Shift", "Ctrl", or mouse buttons did not help. The highlighting was "based" on one file. I finally moved the mouse so only this one file was highlighted and double-clicked to download it. This cleared the 'highlighting follows the cursor' condition. Didn't try hitting delete as orygun did.
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby orygun » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:26 pm

BZee wrote:
JL

I ran into this yesterday with Newsbin - haven't seen it with other programs yet. The "the highlighting starts following the cursor, up and down the grid" is with mouse movement only (no keyboard keys or mouse buttons were pressed or held). Pressing "Shift", "Ctrl", or mouse buttons did not help. The highlighting was "based" on one file. I finally moved the mouse so only this one file was highlighted and double-clicked to download it. This cleared the 'highlighting follows the cursor' condition. Didn't try hitting delete as orygun did.

I was thinking it had gone nutty and figured that it might clear if I activated a choice..since I was highlighting a selection to delete- why not?
orygun
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby RayMark » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:29 pm

It happened to me two times in the last couple of days with the current 6.53 3311 - and only with it.

- CTRL, SHIFT - did not help

- Not only when selecting files to download, but also in the download list itself. But separately, two separate occurrences of the problem, one list at a time- the other case was with the search pane.

- I was able to narrow down the selection to 1 item but did not try to double click on, I will try it if it happens again.

- When it occurred in the download list, I closed the download list and opened it again - that did not fix the problem.

- When I disconnected my USB mouse and connected it again, the problem changed to scrolling instead of selecting files: when the mouse is at the upper/lower edge of the pane, its contents is scrolling even though a different pane is selected at the time and the mouse wheel causes scrolling elsewhere. Usually in NewsBin there is no such scrolling, but it is familiar from some other applications. But in a selected window only.

- My mouse currently is not Logitech. I have a cordless Logitech, though, but I don't see the need to try it if this problem was already reported with Logitech.

- My Windows is not 8.1 , it is 8 (64 bit) - I usually use Windows 7 explorer.exe in a wrapper (to disable Metro and all the things showing up at the right side or the corners, etc.) but at this particular time I am using the Windows 8 eplorer.exe. I will try to switch to Windows 7 explorer and see if it happens with it. The software I am using allows to switch between the two explorers and re-boot is not required, but log-off/on is required to accomplish the switch.
Actually, I love it so much I don't want to upgrade to 8.1 until I know that it works with 8.1 as well.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Postby RayMark » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:47 pm

UPDATE:

I did try CTRL-A (select all) and then single click to select a single item - it did not fix the issue, but it seems to me that it shifts the original problematic single line - the single line then becomes the one on which the click was made.
For this select all is not even required, probably just some selected lines.

Anyway, now the update itself:

I currently no longer had the select/deselect problem because it changed to the scrolling problem in the download list when I disconnected/reconnected the usb mouse.
So I did "select all" (CTRL-A) on the download list and then the single click - after that the scrolling problem went away - no problem of any kind left.

So the approach is this:

1. to disconnect and re-connect the mouse. That causes the select (highlight) problem to change to the scrolling problem. At least with a usb mouse.
2. to select all files with CTRL-A and then to deselect them except one- with a single click. After that everything is back to normal - the scrolling problem also goes away.
You can further deselect the single line still remaining selected with CTRL-click if you like.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby RayMark » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:06 am

UPDATE 2:

It happened again, the 3rd time in 3-4 days. Never happened before with any NewsBin version, only with build 3311. This time - on an open group tab. I tried disconnecting the mouse - it did not help this time. But closing the group tab and opening it again solved the problem.
Again, the first time was on the search tab - it does not have the X close button and I am afraid to touch it anyway - the whole arrangement of everything in NewsBin might change.
The second time it was the download list - closing and opening it changed nothing. But this time, on the group tab, closing and opening fixed the issue.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:32 am

Are you running microsoft mouse drivers or drivers from the mouse manufacturer?

If you're running drivers from the mouse manufacturer, an interesting experiment would be to remove them and see if this issue continues.

At this point I have no idea what's causing it. It honestly sounds like the mouse is getting stuck into "left mouse button pressed" mode.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby orygun » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:55 am

Am using Win7's (sp1) mouse driver. So far, only happened those two times.
orygun
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby RayMark » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:12 am

I am using a Microsoft driver.

This happened again, for the 2nd time in one day today, 4 times altogether. But all 4 times - after I installed the latest version of NewsBin, build 3311. I Installed it just recently, on August 21, I think.

Never happened with any other builds.
The previous build I was using was 6.52 beta 4 installed in June. So I probably missed 6.52 final and some 6.53 betas and RCs.
If the problem was caused by some changes in NewsBin (maybe not), the changes may have been made in a different build, later than 6.52 beta 4 but before 6.53 final

If it keeps occurring very frequently, for testing purposes I could try an earlier build of NewsBin - I still have them all (the ones I installed and used) available to be launched at any time.
The question is about backward compatibility with spool and other data files - how far back I can go.
But, according to myself, I only need to go back to 6.52 beta 4 - the last one I have - is it safe to switch to it with all the same data files used with 6.53?
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby RayMark » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:54 am

UPDATE:

It happened again, the 5th time, the 3rd time today, on an open group tab again - I forgot to test previously, but yes, it was enough to double-click to fix the problem, previously I closed / re-opened the group to achieve the same.
Double clicking puts the item into the download list, though.

I am beginning to think that at least the last two times I did something irregular with the mouse when selecting items - I was holding SHIFT and making single clicks to select ranges and I had the feeling something went wrong - I had to correct selection with an additional click, I did it in a rapid succession of clicks and then the problem occurred.

I just reproduced it - the 6th time now - but I still don't know how I did it. I again was holding SHIFT, moving the mouse and clicking rather rapidly while moving the mouse, and at some point it happened.
Reproduced again, the 7th time, in less than a minute. By holding SHIFT, moving the mouse up and down while clicking rapid single clicks.
However, I now spent maybe 3 minutes and no luck with #8, so still not 100% sure how to do it.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby cujo67 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Logged in just to confirm this is happening to me as well, logging into a 64bit VM running windows 7 ultimate.

Happens after I spend maybe 10 minutes left-clicking, holding shift, selecting, Download to new folder.

After doing that repeatedly the sticky left button happens and then I restart newsbin.
cujo67
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/17/05

Postby RayMark » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:28 am

It happened several times more in the last 2 days, I lost count. It became pretty annoying.

Again, never encountered this problem with older NewsBin builds, up to and including 6.52 beta 4.
Afterwards I jumped directly to 6.53 final and then this problem began.
Maybe 6.53 is using a different version of some library or is changed in some other indirect way?
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:01 pm

1- I haven't been able to make it fail.

2 - The libraries for the GUI have been the same since 2012.

If I could make it fail, I could fix it. For you, it seems to happen fairly randomly but, I guess while downloading and trying to manipulate the download list?

How about trying this. While holding down the left button, hit the escape key. On my PC, I'd seen cases where I can't drag and drop anymore. I can select but, when I go to drag, it acts like it doesn't see the right click press. I can fix the problem by holding down the right mouse button then hitting escape.

You can blame the build but, modern PC's are changing at least once a week with active patching so, you can't say this week's windows is the same as last week's windows. I don't really know what the problem is but, my problem with D&D is definitely a windows issue.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jlindquist » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:39 pm

As the original poster on this problem, I haven't seen it at all recently. There have been updates for both Windows 8.1 and NB, as well as Adobe Flash, an app that I find works in mysterious ways sometimes. I can't pinpoint which, if any of these, fixed the problem.
jlindquist
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/22/07

Postby orygun » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:12 pm

Quade wrote:1- I haven't been able to make it fail.

2 - The libraries for the GUI have been the same since 2012.

If I could make it fail, I could fix it. For you, it seems to happen fairly randomly but, I guess while downloading and trying to manipulate the download list?

How about trying this. While holding down the left button, hit the escape key. On my PC, I'd seen cases where I can't drag and drop anymore. I can select but, when I go to drag, it acts like it doesn't see the right click press. I can fix the problem by holding down the right mouse button then hitting escape.

You can blame the build but, modern PC's are changing at least once a week with active patching so, you can't say this week's windows is the same as last week's windows. I don't really know what the problem is but, my problem with D&D is definitely a windows issue.

Selecting around 1700 posts for deleting and it happened. Tried the above to clear- no go. HOWEVER, holding down left button AND then right button cleared symptom.

As for updates, haven't done any new software installs nor any OS updates for around a year; this is just for downloading, emails, and website logins. My other machine does all the browsing and stuff.
orygun
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby RayMark » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:12 pm

I don't think there was a windows update on my computer either when the problem started. Later - yes, the windows update did not fix the problem, though :)

Anyway, I have a good news to report - the problem disappeared by itself!
It happened in the download list. So I assume that the offending line was downloaded and removed from the list.
If so, the problem is really related to a single specific line.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Bismark » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:32 pm

I two am having the problem. The only good fix is to stop Newsbin and restart it. I have a Logitech mouse. I had seen it months ago and now it is back. This is the fourth time in two days.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/27/10

Postby orygun » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Hasn't done it since my last post; use daily.
orygun
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby RayMark » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:05 am

Getting it frequently.

The last two times I got it in the download list and in a group tab. I solved those problems this way:

1. In the download list:
a) closed the download list
b) disconnected the mouse from usb and re-connected it
c) opened the download list
Everything is again OK.

2. In the group tab (or was it in the search tab? - it should work in both):
a) found the "guilty" (anchor?) line: when moving mouse down or up, a range of lines is selected but always from that one line, it seems, even clicking on the button changes selection only temporarily, when moving the mouse, again a range is selected starting with that "anchor" line and not with the one on which the click was made.
b) So, I go with the mouse onto that line (then only one line becomes selected without clicking on any buttons).
c) When I am on that line (again, only that line is selected without any click) - then I double click on that line (put it into the download list).
At that point everything is OK again. I then can remove that line from the end of the download list.

Unfortunately, fixing the download list requires disconnecting the mouse. However, as I previously posted here, once it fixed itself, so probably an offending line was downloaded and removed. Therefore, perhaps similarly as in the case of the group tab, the original bad line can be determined and then removed from the download list manually (or moved to the top so that it is downloaded quickly). I will try it the next time I get it in the download list.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:14 pm

How about trying a different mouse? See if it makes a difference.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby kirm » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:26 am

Been running with a logitech mx performance mouse with latest drivers, under win8.1.1 x64 and have never experienced any of the above issues. Maybe the issue is not with the mouse itself.

Back in my younger days, I would have placed this under some sort of memory conflict with conflicting drivers sharing the same memory block. Now having several users with the same issue, lets find the similarities in their hardware.

Newsbin code is working just fine with my logitech.
kirm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/15/03

Postby RayMark » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:00 am

Quade wrote:How about trying a different mouse? See if it makes a difference.

but this one

http://media.engadget.com/img/product/2 ... ws-800.jpg

or this one:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6 ... L1500_.jpg

?

The thing is, I never ever experienced this problem with my previous NewsBin versions up to 6.52 beta 4.
Only with 6.53 final. And when I switched to it and the problems began, there were no windows updates at that time (I'm pretty sure).
I am thinking about trying 6.52 beta 4 again. Today I had multiple occurrences of this problem even in a single day, so no problems in a couple of days would be a clear indication.
But is it safe to go back to 6.52 beta 4 - could there be any backward compatibility issues or data corruption in any of data files, such as the spool files and various other db3 files, etc.?
I don't want to corrupt them.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Bismark » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:45 am

I have had the problem with more than one mouse. Both Microsoft and Logitech. My Logitech is a performance MX wireless and the MS mouse was wired with standard driver. All on Windows 7 and have seen it a few times in the past year and a half. There are other problems selecting items to download or delete. I have for example been selecting individual items with the mouse and the CTRL button and all of a sudden all items from the first to the item selected are highlighted.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby magician1962 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:45 am

I too have seen the issue occasionally. Win 7 Microsoft wireless mouse.

Interesting It can happen in one group tab, but switch to another and it is not happening. Close the tab, and re-open and it usually goes away.
magician1962
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/21/10

Postby Quade » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:27 am

I'm getting ready to start a new beta cycle with 6.60. Once that starts up. We can try to figure out what's up. I can try disabling various things and see how that impacts this. I have yet to have it happen so, you guys will have to tell me what works and what doesn't.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby RayMark » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:42 pm

Yes, it would be great to be able to reliably reproduce the problem.
Sometimes I can do it very quickly but when I begin thinking exactly what I am doing I no longer can do it.
It involves rapid clicking on various lines with CTRL pressed (not sure if CTRL is a requirement). Perhaps when mouse is still moving during the click? Something like that.
With CTRL holding pressed, moving the mouse up and down, and clicking simultaneously - this perhaps is a way to reproduce the problem.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby magician1962 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:08 pm

I tend to left click drag to select groups, so no CTRL involved. My first thought was that I had a key stuck on the keyboard, but changing groups and to other applications indicated otherwise.
magician1962
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/21/10

Postby RayMark » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:19 pm

I now tried a different mouse - instead of a wired Genius I now tried Logitech G602 wireless.
Sure enough, I was able to reproduce the problem within a minute while keeping CTRL pressed and moving the mouse up and down while clicking on the left button repeatedly.
Because it is wireless and has an off switch, I was interested if off/on would help - no it did not. Also removing the transmitter/receiver usb dongle did not help.
So, no better than wired. And probably the manufacturer is irrelevant too.

I did not have to install any new driver but the driver provider is now shown as Logitech, so the driver was changed automatically by Windows.
So the problem cannot be narrowed down to a single driver or device manufacturer.

Maybe we should begin looking at the manufacturers of video cards?

My computer is already quite old, from March 2013, and its components even older:
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Processor: i7-3770K
Memory 32 GB
Windows 8, 64-bit.
Windows Experience Index: 8.0 - not sure :) or :(
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:29 pm

I was able to make it happen once. Holding both mouse buttons down and hitting escape cleared it. Then it wouldn't do it again.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby RayMark » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:50 pm

Thanks!

After reading this, I now reproduced the problem 4 more times in the search tab and once in the download tab. In all five cases, your approach worked.
As it happens, I already had escape key mapped to one of the additional mouse buttons (G602 has 8 extra buttons). So I tried it both ways using escape on the mouse itself: holding left+right click on escape, and holding escape then click on both left and right (I tried this accidentally) - fixes the problem either way. Probably any order works as long as eventually you have all three pressed simultaneously.
The problem was fixed both in the search tab (with a group tab should be the same) and in the download tab - which is especially great because double click does not fix it in the download tab as it does in those other tabs.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Bismark » Wed May 06, 2015 11:57 am

Is this fixed in the current Beta? It still happens frequently in build 3334 and is quite annoying. It seems to only happen in the subject list, never the files list.

Thanks.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed May 06, 2015 12:04 pm

I don't think it's a problem in Newsbin. Not if holding the mouse button down and hitting escape fixes it. I've seen the same symptoms in my email client and the mouse button/escape solves it there too.

I'm using Win8 and think it's some win8 issue.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Bismark » Wed May 06, 2015 12:55 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I have never seen the problem in any other windows 7 application or in any other tab in NM but the subject tab. I am using Windows 7 Ultra.

Also, another hint, if I am selecting individual items in the subject tab and happen to drag my mouse across two line items, all the items from the first item selected down to that point are selected. Again, it does not happen in the file tab or other windows applications. In fact, one cannot drag across two items in the file tab and have it select the second line. It used to be the case (quite a while ago) if one were being selective in picking line items from the subject tab and one dragged across two items, just those items were selected. I have seen it with two different mice, but don't have NB on any other computer. Also, I have a very high resolution monitor, so the line items are very close together.

Hope this helps.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed May 06, 2015 1:00 pm

Also, another hint, if I am selecting individual items in the subject tab and happen to drag my mouse across two line items, all the items from the first item selected down to that point are selected.

Well, yeah it's designed to do that. If you drag it thinks you're drag selecting and it'll select them all.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Bismark » Wed May 06, 2015 1:23 pm

Quade wrote:
Also, another hint, if I am selecting individual items in the subject tab and happen to drag my mouse across two line items, all the items from the first item selected down to that point are selected.

Well, yeah it's designed to do that. If you drag it thinks you're drag selecting and it'll select them all.

I wish you would change it back to how it used to work. i.e. Just select the items one wants. If one wants to selective consecutive items, one can drag across the two. Now with a high resolution screen, it is very easy to twitch and get multiple pages of selections and have to start all over again. If one wants to select a range of items, one could select the first one and hold down the shift key and select the last item as it works in Windows. In Windows if one has multiple non-contiguous items selected and drags down, the selected items are thought to be moving to another place such as another window.

The way it works now, one gets results that are not wanted more often.

Even if you do not fix the mouse problem, please consider this fix.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed May 06, 2015 2:54 pm

Just as many people would complain about losing drag select too. There's probably no right answer.

I'll have to think about the least bad solution. There are no good ones.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Bismark » Wed May 06, 2015 5:15 pm

Quade wrote:Just as many people would complain about losing drag select too. There's probably no right answer.

I'll have to think about the least bad solution. There are no good ones.

Perhaps there is a middle ground. One should be able to drag from a starting point to anywhere as we can do now, but once there is a non-selected item between the top and the current cursor position, don't fill in the empty slots, but just start to re-drag and select the additional items being dragged across leaving the unselected items unselected. This is how it used to work.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby BZee » Thu May 07, 2015 5:48 am

I would like to see this fixed also. In Windows Explorer if I have a long list of files I can drag select 6 of them, skip some (say 7), then hold down 'Ctrl' and drag select 4 more. Now I have 10 files selected - a group of 6 and a group of 4 with 7 unselected files in-between. Newsbin would have selected the in-between files giving 17 selected files.
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby tl » Thu May 07, 2015 8:26 am

BZee wrote:I would like to see this fixed also. In Windows Explorer if I have a long list of files I can drag select 6 of them, skip some (say 7), then hold down 'Ctrl' and drag select 4 more. Now I have 10 files selected - a group of 6 and a group of 4 with 7 unselected files in-between. Newsbin would have selected the in-between files giving 17 selected files.

I just tested this in Windows 7 as specified, for this to work like you describe in Explorer both drag-selects have to be outside the text fields. And if you do the same in Newsbin Pro 6.60B13 (4012) with the drag area outside the text area it replicates the Explorer behavior you requested exactly, even to the point where selecting already selected lines makes them unselected.

I verified this in Group List, group display, Downloading Files and File List windows, all behave exactly like Explorer in this scenario.

It's not possible to do drag-select in Explorer inside the area where there are columns because if you do triggers drag-n-drop, not drag-select...

Since NBPro doesn't do drag-n-drop, the closest replication of Explorer behavior would arguable "do nothing", but instead does something that may be useful.

Personally I agree that the best behavior would be to replicate Explorer's behavior as-if the select had been outside the text area, but it's clearly an extension and that behavior IS available already so one could argue doing something different like it does now might be useful.

Platform: Windows 7 fully up to date, 64-bit. Old wired logitech mouse but without any Logitech software installed, so 100% stock.
tl
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Fri May 08, 2015 12:38 am

I disabled the non-stock drag select. The answer for people who want to use it is to shrink the columns down on the right to clear some empty space and to do the drag select from there. It lets you drag select disjointed segments and won't let you drag select over the subject column. Pretty much the way Windows explorer works.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby BZee » Sat May 09, 2015 6:11 am

I had always made the subject column as wide as possible. Now I'll shrink it a bit to drag select disjointed posts. In the text area after drag selecting one set of posts holding 'Ctrl' and clicking single files works to pick up other separated posts.
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Bismark » Fri May 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Does Beta 14 address this issue?
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri May 22, 2015 6:17 pm

It's currently disabled if that's what you're asking. With B14 you can drag select as long as you start to the right of the right most column.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Next

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support