Version 6.60 Beta 9 Available...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Version 6.60 Beta 9 Available...

Postby dexter » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 am

Resolved lots of minor issues and made some cosmetic changes this time around. Also includes the beginnings of Sonaar support, which is mostly working now.

Some highlights:

• Can now check number of remaining searches for the Usenet Search service under Help/About.
  • Implemented Sonaar support. Now accepts NZB files from Sonaar.
  • Fixed issue downloading posts when the first part is missing.
  • Fixed issue where font caching was not allowing all windows to show new font when a new font is selected.
  • Fixed issue where Newsbin would consume unexpected amounts of RAM. Turned out to be due to headers for specific posts that were posted in an unexpected manner.
  • Major performance improvement for processing headers in the background.
  • Swapped download list progress bar colors so now yellow for repairing and green for unpacking.
  • Can now check number of remaining searches for the Usenet Search service under Help/About.
  • Changed header import folder gz file naming to make them sort properly chronologically.
  • Fixed the Reset Display Layout on Restart function.
  • Can now set the search interval for Watch Lists using the Search database. Under Options/Switches
  • Logging to a text file now maxes out at 10MB, makes a copy of the file, then keeps logging. Only keeps one copy then recycles.
  • Fixed issue where forcing download (ctrl-y) from failed file list wasn't getting rendered even though it was getting downloaded.

The download link is on the Newsbin Beta Page Click on the "Changes in this Version" tab to see the full list of changes or refer to the release notes that are available from the installer if you check the "Show Release Notes" box on the last screen.

NOTE: The Download List is incompatible with anything prior to 6.60! We recommend you finish any queued downloads before installing this beta. This applies to the Wish List and Failed Files list too.

You can either reply to this thread or send us a message through our Technical Support Form with any questions or issues.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Version 6.60 Beta 9 Available...

Postby JanJonkman » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:20 am

Is there an option that the chunk files don't go to the recycle bin but delete immediately
JanJonkman
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/10/10

Postby Quade » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:01 am

There's no option. They should be deleting immediately.

I just tested. I'm not seeing chunks go into the recycle bin.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby JanJonkman » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:42 am

Quade wrote:There's no option. They should be deleting immediately.

I just tested. I'm not seeing chunks go into the recycle bin.

strange I have this problem since 660b1

It looks like a scheduled job. I mean that once in a while even when there are no running downloads chunks appear in the recycle bin.

I'll think it has something to do with the storage age setting
JanJonkman
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:23 pm

Chunks end in .001,.002....extension. If you're seeing something that ends in DB3, that's not chunks. I noticed that search was deleting some DB3's and they went into the recycle bin.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maelstroem » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Quick test of B9 still shows duplicate post in download list when file has parts missing on all servers. Also when selecting the duplicates in the post list and hitting DEL, NB doesn't update status in the post list, still ticked and status 'Queued for Download'.

Have uninstalled NB, but backed up spool_v6, guitems.db3, posterlockout.txt, newsbin.nbi and appdata\local\newsbin files and reinstalled B9, copied back the files I backed up and ran NB but still get the same issue of duplicate post/post list status!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/03/03

Postby bertm » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:55 pm

Just an update on my Upper Case/Fragmentation issue:

As you correctly stated it was not related to Newsbin. I noticed more frequent disconnects (amber light) of my router. I bought a new Modem/Router Combo and, although it's just one day, the problem looks to be solved.
bertm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/30/06

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:04 am

Wow nice. Still disturbing that it didn't ride through this automatically.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby JanJonkman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:11 am

Quade wrote:Chunks end in .001,.002....extension. If you're seeing something that ends in DB3, that's not chunks. I noticed that search was deleting some DB3's and they went into the recycle bin.

they are chunks
JanJonkman
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:21 am

I don't know then. Do you ever manually delete chunks?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby JanJonkman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:31 am

Quade wrote:I don't know then. Do you ever manually delete chunks?

No never delete manualy chunks
JanJonkman
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby bertm » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:51 pm

Quade wrote:Wow nice. Still disturbing that it didn't ride through this automatically.

My modem was about 15 years old - from the days when modems were free from the cable company. The reason it took so long to diagnose is the Belkin Router. Belkin shutoff the USB port for updates about two years ago, so I didn't want to update. I found the disconnects more and more frequent, so I DID update. There was no change so I bought a combo. Can you believe how incompetent Belkin is to not include the USB ports of their routers in their firmware updates. The only thing good I have from Belkin is a collapsible stand for my tablet. So I guess Belkin can at least handle mechanical things - not programmable.

Sorry for "frying your brain" with my problem.
bertm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/30/06

Postby Maelstroem » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:38 pm

Noticed another issue, for me anyway.

Posted some files, pulled headers for the group and saw 1 file incomplete and properties showed 1 part missing so re-pulled headers and post then showed complete (Blue dot with P as they were PARS), but on viewing properties for the file it still showed the same part missing? Reloaded the group and still showed complete but properties say incomplete, quit/reloaded NB and still post shows complete but properties say incomplete, downloading the file shows black block where the part is missing so status is falsely showing it as complete. Reposting the missing part and pulling headers again shows the post properties as 'All Posts Available' (actually, should that really say 'All Parts Available'?) and downloading the file is now OK.

Will see if this happens again as soon as I post more files.
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby kirm » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:31 pm

Just noticed in beta 9 that the new files count is out of whack. It will never 0 out no matter how many times I open that particular group. On some groups it say will show 10 files in that group, and when I open said group, there may be over 200 files listed. Some files keep showing up now in this version, even if I had dl them. I have my setting to hide old posts.

Was ok in beta 8 cept one thing I did notice in this version, I have newsbin set to automatically dl headers every 15 minutes. When it did dl the new headers, it would change the count even though I hadn't opened up the group yet. eg. group shows 300 headers, newsbin dl new headers, then it would change count to say 10, for the new files, but when I finally opened up the group, there would be 310 headers.

One more issue under beta 9, kept trying to dl one file that showed complete, but everytime I tried to dl said file, it showed up as about 1k short. Went back to beta 8, and this particular file dl fully, as it should have. Staying on beta 8 till beta 10 comes out.
kirm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/15/03

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:47 pm

Just noticed in beta 9 that the new files count is out of whack. It will never 0 out no matter how many times I open that particular group. On some groups it say will show 10 files in that group, and when I open said group, there may be over 200 files listed. Some files keep showing up now in this version, even if I had dl them. I have my setting to hide old posts.

Can't reproduce this. I load a group, it goes to zero. I load a number of groups, they go to zero. I wonder if it's still importing headers at the same time you're loading so it's feeding files at the same time you're attempting to clear?

One more issue under beta 9, kept trying to dl one file that showed complete, but everytime I tried to dl said file, it showed up as about 1k short. Went back to beta 8, and this particular file dl fully, as it should have. Staying on beta 8 till beta 10 comes out.

"Complete" just means that Newsbin thinks all the parts of the file are there. It doesn't mean they really are though. Newsbin works with whatever the server feeds it. I don't really know what to think. I'll just have to keep it in mind I guess.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maelstroem » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:58 pm

Maelstroem wrote:Noticed another issue, for me anyway.

Posted some files, pulled headers for the group and saw 1 file incomplete and properties showed 1 part missing so re-pulled headers and post then showed complete (Blue dot with P as they were PARS), but on viewing properties for the file it still showed the same part missing? Reloaded the group and still showed complete but properties say incomplete, quit/reloaded NB and still post shows complete but properties say incomplete, downloading the file shows black block where the part is missing so status is falsely showing it as complete. Reposting the missing part and pulling headers again shows the post properties as 'All Posts Available' (actually, should that really say 'All Parts Available'?) and downloading the file is now OK.

Will see if this happens again as soon as I post more files.

Had a repeat of this. In a batch of 3 separate posts, 1 of the posts showed this same issue. Coincidentally it was the last part of the last file that was posted in each case, which happens to be PARS in my case. Pull headers it's incomplete, pull headers again it's complete but file properties show file is still incomplete and downloading shows a black block for the last part. If not many people actually post then this issue might not be seen so no way of telling if it's unique to me or if it affects others and they can reproduce it!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:44 pm

When Newsbin posts. It feeds all the chunks to a folder in the data folder called "Posting". Might be interesting to look in there and see if you have any strays. I posted a couple gigs today to my test server and wasn't missing any when I checked the properties.

I know what you're reporting is invalid completion state but the two sort of dovetail.

B9 specifically fixes an issue with completion not being updated properly.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby kstan12 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:59 pm

Thanks for the Sonarr support. I assume by 'mostly works' you know that it isn't moving files to their proper locations even though it is set to do so. Still enough for me to ditch SickBeard.
kstan12
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/06/11

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:05 pm

Yeah. I'd probably not even call it "mostly". The reason it's not moving anything is because it can't read the history from Newsbin because Newsbin doesn't have a history like that.

So I have to add a "history" that indicates success or failure.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby kstan12 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:29 pm

I figured you knew. It's a good start and I'm happy with the progress. I wish I knew more details behind all of this but I appreciate the awareness and the fact that this is being looked at to begin with. I love the betas and have no plans to revert back. This client keeps getting better and better and I know this will continue. Thank you.
kstan12
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:23 am

I was hoping to get into this week's beta but a couple major bug fixes have delayed it. I'm decently close to have a working history. Then it's just an integration job.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby kstan12 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:58 am

Cool, sounds good. I will be looking for the update and try it out when available.
kstan12
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:31 pm

It's probably not going to make the next beta. Just want that to be clear. I intend to release a new one to IRC today and maybe to the forum tomorrow if nothing bad shows up. I did discover a crash but that needs to be addressed first.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maelstroem » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:16 pm

Quade wrote:When Newsbin posts. It feeds all the chunks to a folder in the data folder called "Posting". Might be interesting to look in there and see if you have any strays. I posted a couple gigs today to my test server and wasn't missing any when I checked the properties.

I know what you're reporting is invalid completion state but the two sort of dovetail.

B9 specifically fixes an issue with completion not being updated properly.

I don't post with NB, I use Camelsystem Powerpost v2.4, have done for years and not had many issues using it! Didn't see this with any previous production versions and only recently in this beta. Might try posting through NB and see what happens, might just be an edge case with my setup, probably not many people post regularly to notice and I can always re-post the missing part!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby kstan12 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:16 pm

No problem. It's not a huge issue. I will check the release notes for this. By no means is this a complaint.
kstan12
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby gkar » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:09 am

download to folder is broken when used on wishlist - defaults to Nb default download location
gkar
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/27/12

Postby BartNL » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:40 pm

autopar seems much more resource hungry in B9 and now brings my system to a download halt. Sometime ago I set Cache in newsbin to 2000 which seemed way over the top but didn't hurt. Just started downloading a bunch of 40+GB files and noticed that upon unrraring the first file the Cache indicator went to 0/2000 (0) and once it reached 0 the actual download stopped. Also during downloading the Cache counter seems to fluctuate more i.e. frequently drops to somewhere around 1200.
This did not happen before and i did not change the download and autopar settings. Download and unrar location is a 6 disk raid 5 volume connected to an Areca 1882iX with 4GB buffer. Volume is dedicated download and unrar volume. System disk is a SSD but is not used for downloads. CPU is a xeon 1275v2. I suspect disks are now no longer keeping up?
BartNL
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/27/03

Postby kstan12 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:57 pm

I've seen this too. Ended up just manually moving the next file to the top of the d'l list to keep things moving while the file was fixed/extracted.
kstan12
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:29 pm

I've seen this too. Ended up just manually moving the next file to the top of the d'l list to keep things moving while the file was fixed/extracted.

When your cache hits zero, download stops, period. The cache is used when Newsbin is busy doing heavy duty writes to disk. Either repair or unrar. As long as you have cache, other files should still download even if files above are repairing or unraring because either state, unrar or repair makes the download list ignore whatever item is unraring or repairing.

So, the fundamental problem in that cache goes to zero because download gets ahead of processing the files.

One thing I've noticed is that different file sets, even the same size, will unrar at different speeds. I don't know why. "UnRAR" is really old and have at least 4-5 variations and version built in.

You could try "Run as Administrator" when you run Newsbin. This will set it into the absolutely fastest writing mode to disk. Without it, all writes happen twice. Once when windows clears the file and once when it's actually written.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby kts53 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:36 pm

The sort behavior for sort by subject appears to have changed between V6.56 and V6.60B9.

Previously, when I selected Show Filenames and then sorted by subject, the sorted list would appear in what I consider correct sort order.

After installing V6.60B9 it appears that the posts are still sorted using the original subject line rather than the the shorter file name (which is displayed correctly).

Not sure if this was an intentional change, but sorting the the post list by filename was a feature I used frequently, so this is not a nice change for me.

Thanks!
kts53
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/09/09

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:06 pm

It's on my list to look at it. It should probably sort by filenames but isn't.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby kstan12 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:30 pm

Thanks for the tip about running Newsbin as an admin. I did not know that.

I changed my setting to 2000 but apparently that isn't enough for very large files (30+ GB). Maybe I should increase that more or just buy faster disks to unrar quicker lol.
kstan12
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:29 pm

It's something you could experiment with. There are no hard upper limits on chunk count but too many chunks will eventually take longer to process.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby BartNL » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:30 pm

Will try trunning as administrator and maybe increase cache blocks to 5000 to see if that helps.
I doubt it is just Unrar as I have been using Newsbin for years on basically the same setup (6 disks in raid 5) and internet connection and never witnessed this behaviour before. Sometime ago I read something about SSD improvements so I assume disk writing was optimized for SSD, are you sure this does not affect performance on spinning disks?
BartNL
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:07 pm

Are you running a virus scanner? Might try removing it, rebooting and see how that impacts your unrar speed. Then you can re-install it.

You're talking about copying 40 gigs of data from one place and putting it someplace else. It's going to take time no matter how fast your disks are.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby BartNL » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:54 pm

Virus scanner is configured not to scan the download folder.I understand there are limits to disk speed, thing is I don't think I saw this happening before. I don't rule out I've changed something myself that I am not aware of.
Running Newsbin as administrator does not help.
Increased the cache to 16000 and that seems to help but I've yet to test it with 40GB downloads.
BartNL
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:28 pm

How much RAM do you have? You basically told Newsbin it could use 16 or more gigs of memory. I wouldn't go over 5000.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby BartNL » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:24 am

32GB of ECC ram and I have no problem with allocating 16GB of that to Newsbin. It does not help though just started PARRING a 36GB file and at 95% progres the cache was empty.
I will keep trying and maybe try another download volume / raidset.
BartNL
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support