What NewsBin is doing?

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

What NewsBin is doing?

Postby RayMark » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:51 pm

Please, can you add some indicator what Newsbin is doing when it is not downloading?
A progress indicator would be even better - how long to wait until it will begin downloading.

I just installed 6.60 beta 10.
After launching it, I added a few posts from the internet search to the download list.
Nothing happened - they did not appear in the download list for the next 15-20 minutes. No messages in log either - zero messages.
But Newsbin was using all the time 0.5-1.1% of CPU and about 1.5 M/B of hard drive.
Finally, after no less than 15 minutes (probably 20) my files showed up in the download list and Newsbin began to download.

Also, an indicator of activity / progress is very needed for search - especially for local searches - they take time, multiple iterations and pauses between iterations - I never know if the search is complete or to wait for more results.
Can you add some indication that the search is still not finished?
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Re: What NewsBin is doing?

Postby gkar » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:50 am

I've seen this too. Not as long as 15 mins though, but at least 5min. I just thought the search severs where very busy. If it is something else would like to know.
gkar
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/27/12

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:47 am

I'll be willing to bet the problem wasn't in the search server end but in the feeding the download list end on your PC. Newsbin will fail to download the search result within 4 minutes of you requesting it. It's probably really shorter than that so, my guess is that the delay is local processing.

I don't have an answer but I don't believe it's the search server.

In the spool_v6 folder, there's a folder called "Basic Search". You might want to delete it and see if the symptoms change. That folder is used in an intermediate stop to getting search results into the download list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RayMark » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:52 pm

I don't think it is related to search at all. I might be wrong, but I think I've seen the same (a long pause before the posts appear in the download list) when adding posts from a group (from local headers).
It may only happen the first time after launching NewsBin, afterwards it works faster.

BTW, thanks for fixing the local search in beta 11. But still...

Because there is no indication if the local search is working or finished, I was waiting for hours (literally) hoping for results in beta 10.
Now, with beta 11 I still had to wait maybe 30 seconds for the first indications that the local search was doing anything (except for the sounds of the hard drive being accessed) - it would we really helpful to have some indication that it is working. The progress bar is not enough: it showed nothing during those 30 seconds. Besides, it often moves across the search window several times with pauses in between - therefore not clear is the search finally finished or not yet - just in between two runs of the progress bar.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:26 pm

1 - I agree on the progress bar. It needs to stay up. Local search is like a bunch of group loading with a filter and typically the progress bar comes up and down per group.

2 - If you're trying to add files to the download list at the same time search is still going. It's going to take awhile. You'd be better off canceling the local search, adding then re-starting the search. The issue is just one thing can be in the DB at a time and while you're searching, you've locked out the ability to add files.

3 - Make sure you group filter too. If you try to do all the groups it'll take forever.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RayMark » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:25 pm

I think I was wrong - there is an indication that the search is not yet complete: even if the progress bar shows nothing, the very presence of the progress bar is the indication I needed. After the search is complete, the progress bar goes away.
I just noticed this now. I wrongly thought that bar was always present.

But I think you may be wrong too: the progress bar (the horizontal bar/space to show the horizontally advancing dark blue progress bar) comes up once and stays up until the search is complete, but sometimes that dark blue progress bar runs across, sometimes multiple times. So for searches in folders with multiple groups this blue bar runs across multiple times but the bar comes up only once.
However, sometimes this dark blue bar does not show up at all even though the search returns results - maybe if it runs across so quickly that there is no time to show it?

I am also not sure that it runs across only once for a single group. I am under an impression that I've seen it run multiple times for a single group, or at least more times than the number of groups in the folder.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support