Options>Settings>Remote Control Pulls Wrong Adaptor IP

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Options>Settings>Remote Control Pulls Wrong Adaptor IP

Postby dougm1 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:44 pm

HI Quade,
It should be a snap, but I've had mixed success integrating Newsbin with SickRage: It worked, then it didn't then it worked, then ... At least one issue - and perhaps the root cause - is that Newsbin is populating the Remote PC IP in options>settings>remote control with the wrong IP address. Newsbin is somehow pulling one my VMware adaptor ip addresses. If I disable the VMware adaptor and restart Newsbin, Newsbin picks up the proper computer's ip - that of the host pc, but when I re-enable the VMware adaptor, its ip address supersedes the host's ip settings and repopulates the remote control with the wrong ip. I, as the end-user, have no option to change the remote ip address in options>settings>remote control manually - that value is automatically fixed (redundantly parenthetically, why?). What's happening?
dougm1
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/03/09

Re: Options>Settings>Remote Control Pulls Wrong Adaptor IP

Postby Quade » Mon May 18, 2015 3:54 pm

At least one issue - and perhaps the root cause - is that Newsbin is populating the Remote PC IP in options>settings>remote control with the wrong IP address. Newsbin is somehow pulling one my VMware adaptor ip addresses.

1 - Newsbin is just showing this address. It doesn't actually use it for anything. Newsbin doesn't bind the nic address when it listens. It either listens on localhost or listens on "0.0.0.0" which means "any nic". By default it binds to "0.0.0.0". What you see in the display is just cosmetic. It's for people who have no idea what an IP address is.

2 - Where you see the IP address isn't where you configure the SB/Sonarr interface. Those settings are in the "Remote NZB Interface". Which is one below that in the options. If you don't see that set of options then your version is too old.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dougm1 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:03 pm

Interesting response... I haven't seen a lot of "cosmetic" ip addresses lately. I am running the latest beta (6.60b13 Build 4012) and I have the "Remote NZB Interface" configured per your "How Integration will work" post. And too, it was working properly for a time. Maybe I have a firewall issue. Or, possibly, a SickRage update broke a dependency - if such a thing can happen. I'll tinker with it. I am curious to know if other users are having any issues with integration. It seems simple enough...
dougm1
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon May 18, 2015 6:49 pm

Could be you're having a port collision too and something is already listening on that port so Newsbin can't. Newsbin logs connections and I imagine sick rage does too. You just need to look at the logs and see what's happening.

You kind threw me off with the IP address stuff. For remote NZB you have to set all that stuff by hand. If you're trying to do it remotely you have to worry about firewalls and routers too. If you're trying to use the IP and you're coming from the outside of a NAT router, you'll have to use the router's IP and port forwarding.

If it's all happening on the local PC then you just use "LocalHost" or "127.0.0.1".
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dougm1 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:52 pm

Thanks. I'll check that out.
dougm1
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby dougm1 » Fri May 22, 2015 9:19 am

Quade - I have Newsbin and the SickRage fork of SickBeard talking now. Thank you for the assistance. The integration was a little tricky - but SickRage is good, highly customizable software and the effort was worth it. Newsbin and SickRage don't mesh perfectly, but as a team they work pretty well together, the "occasional" error reported notwithstanding. Have you looked SickRage? It's worth a test drive.
dougm1
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Fri May 22, 2015 10:26 am

Have you looked SickRage? It's worth a test drive.

I support them in Newsbin but don't actually use any of them on a regular basis. "Sonarr" seems the most developed of the ones I've tested. It has the deepest integration. Newsbin can tell it directly if a download fails or not. SickBeard doesn't have any support for feedback from the download. I'm not sure if SickRage does. It's a fork of SickBeard as I understand it.

The way Sonarr works is it adds a download, then watches the download in progress. If Newsbin sends the file to the failed list, it'll automatically send another NZB along to try. On success, Sonarr reads the download path directly from Newsbin and picks up the file and processes it.

They way Sickbeard works, It sends an NZB to Newsbin. On successful download Newsbin posts a message to the SB web interface which contains the folder to scan. So there's no way to communicate a failure.

I'll probably check it out to see if it's improved over SickBeard.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dougm1 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:57 am

I settled on SickRage after trying SABnzb, Sonarr, and ultimately SickBeard - which I really liked. The developers all did and continue to do great stuff and my hat is off to them. Kudos all around. And I mean that sincerely. That said, and this pains me a little to say it, but SickRage renders SickBeard obsolete - imho. I'd like to what you think of SickRage if and when you dissect it.
dougm1
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support