Version 6.60 Beta 15 Available...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Version 6.60 Beta 15 Available...

Postby dexter » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:55 pm

Not quite ready for Release Candidate Status. Lots of fixes in this one and things are definitely stabilizing.

Summary of changes:

• Added option to put user directly into the Newsbin Control Panel if they are registered. Under the Help menu called "Search Control Panel".
  • Fixed memory leak issue.
  • Fixed issue where the Failed list wasn't being persevered between runs.
  • Sped up post list processing in the situation when you have many failed list items slows down all post list processing.
  • Optimized Import thread for header processing
  • Turned drag select back on.
There are many more fixes, too many to list here. If you were waiting for something to get fixed, you can check the full list on the Newsbin Beta Page and click on the "Changes in this Version" tab. You'll find the download link there too.

Any questions or issues, either reply to this thread or contact us through the Newsbin Contact Page
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Version 6.60 Beta 15 Available...

Postby alanstarr » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:57 pm

Minor quibble, but in the Groups list, I can't shrink down the columns to nothing.

I usually shrink the 'New Files', 'Filter Profile' and 'Download Path' columns to nothing, as I don't need to see them. But now they seem to be a minimum of one-character wide; never seen that before.
alanstarr
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/20/05

Postby Quade » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:43 am

If I can't get it to shrink more, I'll disable the limiter. I wanted two lines side by side when you shrunk them. Just so there's a visual indicator that there is a shrunk column.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby itimpi » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:39 pm

Quade wrote:If I can't get it to shrink more, I'll disable the limiter. I wanted two lines side by side when you shrunk them. Just so there's a visual indicator that there is a shrunk column.

Perhaps a checkbox somewhere under Settings to say something like "0 width columns allowed" and if off force a non-zero minimum. This would also be useful from a support perspective as you could then tell a user to unset it to see any hidden columns.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Eurisko » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:04 pm

I'm having an odd issue that seemed to start with Beta 14 (or it's the first time I noticed it), where files start downloading into the root of my download folder instead of where they should.

I'm using the built in Search function, and choosing items from there.

The Main Download Folder is setup in Newsbin to be: D:\Incoming\$(FILENAME)\

I'll hit 8-10 items, and they will show the Download Path to be what I would expect. Then I might tag 2-3 more, and 1 of those will just be D:\Incoming\ instead of the folder structure I would expect. It's random. (and they will download to the root as a result).

Is there something I'm missing?
Eurisko
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/02/03

Postby Quade » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:46 pm

"FILENAME" is problematic. It assumes Newsbin can find the filename in the subject. Most of the time it can, I'm guessing sometimes it can't.

If you watch the download path in the download list for the ones that go to root, does it show root in the download path or does it show Path + filename?

Do you use groups and headers too? I'm wondering if the groups you subscribed to, that these files might be associated with, have a different path set?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby wiggins09 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:53 am

NBP 6.60b15 b4107 W7Sp1x64
Using my old fave download to folder named for subject I'm having a few headaches again -

1) Selecting some random files (shift/click & ctrl/click on headers) = individual files in individual folders sometimes generated to 3 sub-levels inc the UnRxxx_tmp folder which may or may not contain files (i.e. sometimes these are empty & not cleaned up. Also these folders can contain some of the extracted files.)
If files are contained in the _tmp folder then there seems no pattern to what is held there or why. Files seem randomly scattered thru the lower 2 levels of the extract path.
Previously it was a single folder & the random files were deposited there together.

2) Selecting a group of related files (multi-part sets) = Multiple individual folders
This generates a LOT of folders including numerous empty folders which appear to be generated for each part of multi-part sets. The files of the multi-part sets are collected in just one sub-folder however.

:? :cry: :roll:

Please restore this function to it's former glory :)
Awesome FREE file manager - http://multicommander.com/
wiggins09
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/08/14

Postby Eurisko » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:04 am

Quade wrote:"FILENAME" is problematic. It assumes Newsbin can find the filename in the subject. Most of the time it can, I'm guessing sometimes it can't.

If you watch the download path in the download list for the ones that go to root, does it show root in the download path or does it show Path + filename?

Do you use groups and headers too? I'm wondering if the groups you subscribed to, that these files might be associated with, have a different path set?

Yes, the download path in the display shows it going to the root.

I'm not subscribed to anything. :) I use Newsbin in a very basic form. Just search, double click and watch it download (and Sickbeard/Sonarr). (No watchlists, subscriptions, special things).

Is there a better option then using "Filename"?
Eurisko
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:11 am

PM me an example of something that doesn't go to subject.

1) Selecting some random files (shift/click & ctrl/click on headers) = individual files in individual folders sometimes generated to 3 sub-levels inc the UnRxxx_tmp folder which may or may not contain files (i.e. sometimes these are empty & not cleaned up. Also these folders can contain some of the extracted files.)
If files are contained in the _tmp folder then there seems no pattern to what is held there or why. Files seem randomly scattered thru the lower 2 levels of the extract path.
Previously it was a single folder & the random files were deposited there together.

This is purely an unrar issue. I'd guess download/UnRAR path length but I don't really know. All unrars into the same folder go into a temp folder and are then copied out to the main folder. Copied out with renaming. You might be better off downloading to a common folder and using "$(FILENAME)" into a different path for the unrar folder.

C:\Download\
C:\UnRAR\ for example.

If you unrar to a different folder it shouldn't use the temp folder at all.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby wiggins09 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:01 pm

Thanks for the reply Quade.
What you describe is what happened before this build if I understand you correctly.
Now that isn't happening. My path length in these events today has been within the 255 limit. There has been no truncation of names etc which occurs occasionally when things get too long.

e.g. In my headers I select some different rars (ctrl/click) then right clik & d/l to named folder. (Formerly this would group in a folder named for one of the selected items, as you know.)
Code: Select all
(name1)aaa.rar
(name2)bbb.rar
(name3)ccc.rar
(name4)ddd.rar

Now I get

Code: Select all
z:\downloads\named folder1\aaa\files.*
z:\downloads\named folder1\aaa\unrxxx_TMP\files.*

z:\downloads\named folder2\bbb\files.*
z:\downloads\named folder2\bbb\unrxxx_TMP\

z:\downloads\named folder3\ccc\
z:\downloads\named folder3\ccc\unrxxx_TMP\files.*

z:\downloads\named folder4\ddd\files.*

& variations thereof.....
I don't see a single folder for a selection any more. I also have multiple sub-level unrar temp folders which I rarely saw previously.
*EDIT*
Block selection + <d/l to folder> does some odd folder creation/extraction e.g. with 50 small different files I end up with 50 different folders mostly empty, but some of which have a single file & another has the remainder of the batch... :shock:
wiggins09
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby gkar » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:32 pm

NBPRo has stopped working crash

had a group open, added files, waited until about 5 mins after files had added and started downloading then closed grp.
gkar
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/27/12

Postby BZee » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:19 pm

I just reinstalled Windows 8.1. After installing a few programs I installed 6.6b15 again and double-clicked my .nbi file. Newsbin opened and everything looks fine except for being unregistered. Opened help about to enter my registration data. Newsbin will not let me enter or change the data in the registration form. I tried restarting Newsbin, rebooting the computer, and running NewsbinPro64.exe as admin - still can not register. What now?
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/13/03

Postby mimauk » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:26 pm

Beta 15 - Hide Old does not seem to be working in this beta. I update the groups and download what I want to and mark everything as old. When I next update the groups - a few hours later - and open the group tab all the old files show up as well as the new files. The old files do not disappear until they exceed the display age - mine is set to 1 day so the posts are there until they reach 24 hours in the date column.

This has happened before last year sometime I think.
mimauk
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/29/06

Postby dexter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:10 pm

BZee wrote:I just reinstalled Windows 8.1. After installing a few programs I installed 6.6b15 again and double-clicked my .nbi file. Newsbin opened and everything looks fine except for being unregistered. Opened help about to enter my registration data. Newsbin will not let me enter or change the data in the registration form. I tried restarting Newsbin, rebooting the computer, and running NewsbinPro64.exe as admin - still can not register. What now?

Help/About is display only. You need to go under Help/Register/Update Key
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dexter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:11 pm

mimauk wrote:Beta 15 - Hide Old does not seem to be working in this beta. I update the groups and download what I want to and mark everything as old. When I next update the groups - a few hours later - and open the group tab all the old files show up as well as the new files. The old files do not disappear until they exceed the display age - mine is set to 1 day so the posts are there until they reach 24 hours in the date column.

This has happened before last year sometime I think.

Yes, someone reported this over tech support too. It'll be fixed in the next release.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BZee » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:05 am

dexter wrote:Help/About is display only. You need to go under Help/Register/Update Key

I sure feel dumb - I have done this before (a number of times) :oops: Thanks
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/13/03

Postby Eurisko » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:11 pm

Having an odd issue since Beta 15:

I'm finding items left in my queue from automated downloads (Sickbeard) that are "stuck"

They have completed downloading, I run Quickpar and all pieces are there, there's no reason it's not unraring and continuing. It just seems to download, then stop.

They still show in the queue as well.

Thoughts?
Eurisko
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:57 pm

Bad unRAR path?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Eurisko » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:52 pm

Quade wrote:Bad unRAR path?

Not that I can tell. I mean, 3 downloads before and 2 after that were automated with Sickbeard worked fine. (all in the same time frame in fact). It's random when it does it.
Eurisko
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:19 pm

Not sure at this point then.

SB decided to downloads a bunch of stuff on its own last night and they all went. Might look at the RARs themselves using WinRAR and test inside WinRAR to see if the RAR files are good. Sometimes you can have good PAR state but the rars themselves remain damaged. If the PAR was generated over bad rars then any repair will just hand you back bad RARS.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Eurisko » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:21 pm

I was able to manually unrar each without error. Yeah, it's odd. No errors I can see, everything looks happy, but it just doesn't go to the next step.

PMing you a couple log details.
Eurisko
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Maelstroem » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:02 pm

Not having any posting issues with this build so far, headers are also updating correctly in my posting group! Have changed to MultiPAR for PAR creation and increased yEnc lines from 3000 to 5000 and so far this combo seems stable.
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/03/03

Postby Eurisko » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:59 pm

I noticed the ones that don't auto unrar, are also the ones that go to the root path in the automated download folder. The ones it fines the name and puts them in a sub folder process properly. Not sure what I should change to resolve it. You said the $Filename was a bad choice, is there a better value to use?
Eurisko
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:24 am

Use $(NZBFILE). Everything coming off SB is an NZB. If you use NZB files, then this is probably the path modifier you want.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Eurisko » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:38 am

Quade wrote:Use $(NZBFILE). Everything coming off SB is an NZB. If you use NZB files, then this is probably the path modifier you want.

Upon using that, normal downloads go to their folders, and the automated SB downloads seem to be processing correctly too. :)
Eurisko
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:42 am

If you're using the SB interface, you can set an unrar path that's only used by SB too. For example I have SB running on one PC talking to Newsbin remotely so, I actually unrar the SB files to this other PC.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby td911 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:45 pm

Panda Antivirus is flagging Beta 15 as a virus.

Anyone have an issue?
td911
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/08/06

Postby dexter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:06 pm

We get false positives from time to time. I don't really worry about them unless it happens for a production release. Then I have to conduct the AV company throwing the false positive and they provide a fix.

UPDATE: I have run the B15 installer through the Jotti Malware scanner that scans it with 22 antivirus programs. Panda and ClamAV are throwing false positives. If it is getting in your way, you can contact them directly as a user. We may not have another release for a week so if there is something in B15 you needed, it might be worth having them fix this.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bismark » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:12 pm

Small problem. If I want to download something that is in the wish list and select the download to folder option, it ignores the new selected folder and downloads to the default folder.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/27/10

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:38 pm

Small problem. If I want to download something that is in the wish list and select the download to folder option, it ignores the new selected folder and downloads to the default folder.

Thanks.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby wiggins09 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:30 am

Having some issues with the watchlist functions which I've not really used/studied due to the unrar'ing + folders issues mentioned above.

Using the d/l to folder function & \$(SEARCH)\ - doesn't seem to work
    Checking the - disable unRAR for this watchlist - doesn't seem to work
    Cannot get a search string to function (which was working), it works in the search dialog but not in the watchlist

Probably old news to you but thought I'd mention it. :wink:
wiggins09
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:54 am

Cannot get a search string to function (which was working), it works in the search dialog but not in the watchlist

Don't know what this means. I'm using search strings for both local and internet watches and they both seem to work. Internet periodic searches don't use regular expressions. It's just like typing in a search term in the search window.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:48 am

Checking the - disable unRAR for this watchlist - doesn't seem to work

Yes doesn't work. The problem is the watch list name isn't being treated like the group. Not sure how to fix it just yet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maelstroem » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:51 am

Anyone noticed these, using an NZB at the time:

1. 'Selected Data count and size' in the bottom right doesn't show total of files selected, rather it shows each file as the total of the files in NZB not it's individual file size! Tried in a normal group and the selected data is showing correctly!

2. Pause in the download list not working, have to use Pause/Resume on the top toolbar.
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/03/03

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:46 pm

2. Pause in the download list not working, have to use Pause/Resume on the top toolbar.

They don't do the same thing. Pause on the toolbar is global pause. Pause in the download list will only pause the selected sets. If you don't have anything selected it won't pause anything. If you try to pause something that already has all it's chunks downloaded and sitting in the cache, pausing won't do anything to that file set either. Per set pause just stops the engine from downloading new chunks for the set.

I use pause all the time. Both global and per set and am not seeing any issues. You can't pause header downloads that have already started downloading because it's not split into small jobs like files. It's all one job that runs to completion.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support