Win10 Issues

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Win10 Issues

Postby DogSnake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:13 pm

After the upgrade to win10 Newsbin has become all but unusable for me. I have done a clean install and still have these issues. The program seems to have slowed to a crawl writing to disk. It goes into pause mode every time I try to close it. Some groups show no headers. Loading headers takes forever. Win7 with the latest build was super fast with none of these issues. I will continue to try to get this resolved but any feedback is appreciated.
DogSnake
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/16/03

Re: Win10 Issues

Postby dexter » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:38 pm

The Win 10 issues we've heard so far were related to permissions issues. Some folders being used under Win 7 no longer had write access by the user account after the upgrade. I'd think you would have different symptoms though. Are you seeing any errors in the Logging tab?

The other possibility is over-zealous antivirus software slowing everything down. After the upgrade, you may have to tell AV software to ignore Newsbin and the Newsbin data folder.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DogSnake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:57 pm

No errors just crap performance. Will look at the av next. I have just done another clean install and am loading groups 1 at a time. Is there any way to set the program to display newest first without going through a resort every time it opens the group?
Thanks
DogSnake
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:52 pm

On my machine Win10 performance is as good as or better than Win8 and before. Are you using an internal disk for the data folder? What kind of machine is this?

The original 6.60 loaded the new posts to the top. People complained so B2/B3 load them back to the bottom again. Maybe I should make it optional.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: New Posts @ Top

Postby TBlack » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:06 pm

Quade wrote:The original 6.60 loaded the new posts to the top. People complained so B2/B3 load them back to the bottom again. Maybe I should make it optional.

Making this optional would be good. My default sort is on the most recent date for both Groups and Watch Lists.

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Postby DogSnake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:25 pm

After a clean install I loaded each group 1 at a time letting them update and sort as I want them. All seems good now. I suspect the system was getting bogged down from the resort of the headers and the writing of the new headers being downloaded. The cpu is a i920@4ghz, 12g1600 ram and a 1T hdd. And yes now that everything is sorted and groups updated it seems to run about as it did under W7. NB no longer goes to pause as it did before the reinstall at shut down.
Yes it would be good for me to have a download order option. Also this W10 has required a few other re installs of software to resolve the permissions mentioned above. I use Logitech media server software with a now discontinued Squeezebox. It streams over my LAN to my audio system preamp. Win10 will not allow it to run except with admin. permission. Such is life in the brave new world.
DogSnake
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support