Lost servers and groups after upgrade. Files List good

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Lost servers and groups after upgrade. Files List good

Postby lreilly5 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:35 am

I upgraded from an older version (in the 6's) that had it's data folder on my d: drive and lost my servers and groups list. When I open the data folder from the settings box newsbin appears to go to the proper relocated data folder and the program shows files (2071) from the previous install in the files list tab but is not reading the server and group list files. Please Help
lreilly5
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/09/10

Re: Lost servers and groups after upgrade. Files List good

Postby Quade » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:50 am

Sounds like it's using the wrong configuration file (file that ends in NBI). You might want to look in the old data folder and see if you have an NBI in there and maybe compare it with the one in the new data folder. You can look at these files with WordPad. If you find the correct NBI, you can start Newsbin by double-clicking it which should tell Newsbin to load with the NBI you double-clicked.

There's also an option in the options menu to restore a backup configuration. You could try that. I'd make copies of all the NBI files you know about first, in case something gets overwritten.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby lreilly5 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:18 pm

Renamed newsbin.nbi.old to newsbin.nbi then double clicked and all is well. Thanks!
lreilly5
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/09/10

Postby dexter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:32 am

I'm going to guess that your Windows Registry entry for Newsbin was wiped out. Did you uninstall the old version before upgrading? Or were you having any odd issues before the upgrade? I'd like to figure out if you created a scenario that I should be able to detect from the installer to try to keep this from happening.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support