Version 6.62 Release Candidate 2 Available...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Version 6.62 Release Candidate 2 Available...

Postby dexter » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:01 pm

Release Candidate 2 has more minor tweaks:

Changes:

• Made change to show raw speed of Header Downloads instead of the effective datarate. Was confusing people.
  • Fixed issue with automatic assembly of marginal file sets.
  • Made changes to reduce the chance of spurious PAR downloads.
  • Fixed some file download completion calculations. Were a couple percentage points off.

The download link is on the Newsbin Beta Page.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Version 6.62 Release Candidate 2 Available...

Postby magician1962 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:09 pm

Seems to be a problem with some downloads.

All parts were downloaded except the nfo according to quickpar.
Forced download of the first par, which completed the set according to quickpar

Download keeps retrying.

Tried to force assembly Autopar > UnRAR/Join Files. Failed

Normal popup appears for a second or so, then disappears, no UnRAR takes place

Go to file location extract with 7-zip, no problem.
magician1962
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/21/10

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:19 pm

What do you see in the logging tab?

How many retries do you have set?

Are you seeing additional PARS download?

I'd suggest setting retries to 2 if it's higher than that.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby magician1962 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Nothing. I have an NZB of the file in question if it helps.

No additional pars downloaded, I had to force a download

Not sure where the retries is located, have not changed them, so assume at default. OK found it was set to 4, changed to 2.
magician1962
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby magician1962 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:31 pm

That was interesting. Restarted after changing retry to 2. File downloaded again. First time it came down with proper filename in the rar, second time with download number in the rar, and then cleared download list, after unpacking
magician1962
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Streetwolf » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:37 pm

Possibly after I installed RC2 when I am downloading with NBP I get a lot of 'servers not found' errors in Fx45 (Nightly) when I go to sites at the same time. This never was a problem before. Even limiting my download speed doesn't work. I use NewsHosting and have 12 connections defined and use SSL.

Any thoughts on the issue?
Streetwolf
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/27/03

Postby Quade » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:02 pm

You mean this FX45?

Ah, firefox... Yeah no thoughts on that. Sounds like something's up with DNS.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Streetwolf » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:34 pm

I hear you bud but the fact is Fx45 is fine unless I am running NBP at the same time. As I said, this never happened before. Can't really be sure if it started with RC2 or not. It definitely was a non issue with the NBP version before that and all the way back.

I am using OpenDNS. Will try different DNS servers and a different version of Fx45. There is no possibility that any app sucking up my total bandwidth can cause these problems?

**** Tried a download with NBP again. Same server messages. When I paused the downloads I can get to all my sites. There has to be a connection with NBP somewhere don't you think?

Another thing. Pause didn't seem to stick. Eventually things began to run again after about a minute. I also think other things aren't working like the bandwidth limiter.

Also I went back to an October version of Fx45. Still the same problem. Guess I'll try the previous version of NBP.
Streetwolf
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Streetwolf » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Ran some tests. Perhaps the most telling is that the problem is not limited to firefox. I ran some programs that check for updates to itself. All of these stalled while NBP was downloading. Placing NBP in Pause mode got things running.

Tried older version of NBP, no good. Uninstalled NBP and reinstalled from scratch, no good.

Could it be Windows 10 Pro x64? I did a clean install of the so called TH2 version about a week ago. Also, there was a cumulative update that was installed a couple of days ago. Seems it might be Windows 10 Pro x64.TH2 related. IDK.
Streetwolf
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:16 pm

It's a basic networking issue. Newsbin is consuming all available bandwidth so there's nothing else that can get through. It's designed to do that. I'd cut the connections in 1/2 in Newsbin and see how things go. It might be related to security software or something like that. I run my Newsbin balls out and it has no impact on web browsing. I web browse on a different machine though over the same network. If it is a security software issue, maybe it's running short on resources because Newsbin is pushing it hard. I'd suggest making any security software ignore Newsbin's connections to the servers.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Streetwolf » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:48 pm

Quade wrote:It's a basic networking issue. Newsbin is consuming all available bandwidth so there's nothing else that can get through. It's designed to do that. I'd cut the connections in 1/2 in Newsbin and see how things go. It might be related to security software or something like that. I run my Newsbin balls out and it has no impact on web browsing. I web browse on a different machine though over the same network. If it is a security software issue, maybe it's running short on resources because Newsbin is pushing it hard. I'd suggest making any security software ignore Newsbin's connections to the servers.

Will do.
Streetwolf
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby weezee » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:29 am

I am experiencing an issue that's been there for several betas, but never reported because I'm not sure if it's NewsBin-only related: gdiplus.dll
When I click an NZB and choose to open it directly in NB, Win7 x64 gives me an error telling me gdiplus.dll is not properly installed.
But if I click again the same NZB after a few secs, NB opens normally and starts downloading.
Do you kown what is happening here? I'm not sure when this started, but I think no more than a few months/betas ago.
weezee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/26/05

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:38 pm

I'm inclined to think it's a windows issue. Or maybe security software?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby weezee » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:52 pm

All I have here is Avast Free and Windows Firewall. The weird thing is that it "tries" to not work, but insisting twice it works. BTW ok, problem is on my side.
weezee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:16 pm

Do you have another machine to try it on? There are no other reports of it so, there's not much I can suggest.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby weezee » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:24 pm

I can try on a Windows 8 machine (not sure if it's x86 or x64), but since the OS is different, I don't think it will behave the same. BTW I can live with this, after all NB works.
weezee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Streetwolf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:24 pm

Hey Quade.

I basically stopped all my AV, Anti-Malware, and Firewall programs and when NBP is downloading at my max internet speed I can't use any other program accessing the Internet at the same time. I tried the speed limiter but it doesn't seem to work properly. Most of the time it doesn't drop to the max I set and it seems to automatically revert to full speed after about 30 seconds. I could also run full bore with NBP in the recent past and it didn't affect my other Internet apps. Perhaps it's one of the Windows 10 cumulative updates in the past month?
Streetwolf
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:04 pm

I think you just confirmed that your security software is somehow conflicting with Newsbin. If you configure it to ignore Newsbin and the data and download folders, it should no longer impede the datarate.

As for the speed limiter turning itself off, this can happen if you accidentally enable the built in scheduler. By default it runs full speed so if the scheduler is turned on, it'll keep turning off the speed limiter as you are noticing. To disable it, go under Options -> Settings -> Scheduler. It can also be toggled on the Newsbin Status bar, it is the 2nd item from the right at the bottom of the Newsbin window and will toggle between "Enabled" and "Disabled" when you click on it. Seems that people accidentally enable it fairly often.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Streetwolf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:09 pm

I think you misunderstood me Dex. I turned off all my security programs and I still have the same problem. I use Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and MalewareBytes Pro. I've been using these for ages and NBP worked fine as I said until about a month ago.
Streetwolf
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:16 pm

Yes, I did misunderstand that part. What about the speed limiter thing, was the scheduler your issue?

As for other programs not getting Internet access while Newsbin is running, how many connections are you running? If you decrease the number of connections you can usually still obtain your full datarate and give other applications more windows to grab some bandwidth for themselves. For example if you run 10 instead of 50 connections it will make a difference.

If this doesn't improve anything, I'm wondering what changed with your system a month ago when all this started happening?
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Streetwolf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:18 pm

I don't have any schedule setup. I have 8 connections using Newshosting. I can have up to 30. I'll try less connections and see what happens.

Went down to 4 connections and the same problem. Like I said I wonder if one of the Windows 10 cumulative updates in the past month, I think there was at least two of them, is causing this.

Is there an option that is causing this?

**** Update ****
Ran with practically no other programs running. Didn't help.

I set my connections to 2. This gave me a d/l speed of round 100mbps. This left me some room to run other internet programs. I have a 121/41 connection. I never had a problem running NBP full speed without it affecting other programs. Is the priority of NBP higher now? Did NBP used to give up some speed when other internet programs were running and now it doesn't?

Do you have another beta that I could try? Maybe it will help?
Streetwolf
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:08 pm

Streetwolf wrote:I don't have any schedule setup.

I asked if it was enabled. It will behave as you described if you have no schedule set up but it is accidentally enabled.

Streetwolf wrote:Do you have another beta that I could try? Maybe it will help?

No, 6.62 RC2 is the latest beta. Quade has been working on other things.

I'll ask him to chime in on your issues.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Streetwolf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:21 pm

Schedule was enabled so I unticked it. This only affects the speed limiter right? It appears that the only way I can get bandwidth for my other programs when NBP is running at full speed is to throttle back NBP's speed. I never had to do this before. In general how is bandwidth doled out when multiple programs are using the Internet? I would think that NBP would give up some bandwidth when another programs needs some.

Anyone try to repro this under Windows 10 Pro x64 TH2?
Streetwolf
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:31 pm

Streetwolf wrote:Schedule was enabled so I unticked it. This only affects the speed limiter right?

Yes, this fixes the fact that the speed limiter was turning off on you.

Quade has another beta in the wings, I'll look into slipping that one out to you to try.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kirm » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Anyone try to repro this under Windows 10 Pro x64 TH2

Just thought I would pipe in that I am not getting any of these symptoms with win10 64. Currently up to date with all updates and never had an issue like you are reporting. Running malware-bytes along with Norton security and neither of them are restricting my dl. I usually set all the dl that I require and have no issues running any of my browsers....IE, Edge, Firefox and Chrome while Newsbin is doing its thing.

There must be something that you must have installed in the last month that is effecting this, it is not cumulative updates from MS.

Johnny
kirm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/15/03

Postby Streetwolf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:45 pm

Are you maxing out your pipeline when running NBP? I generally download a 1GB or greater file and wait until I see that NBP is using the max which in my case is ~ 129mbps. When NBP hits this I get time out messages in other apps or they go nowhere. When the NBP speed drops, like using the speed limiter, then my other programs start to come alive.

What is your max internet speed? Are you hitting your max, and for a long enough time, to test other programs like a browser? Perhaps my issue only occurs when you have a large dl bandwidth?

******* I'm also using SSL. Should that make a difference? Dex, do you want a copy of my Newsbin.nbi file to check it out?
Streetwolf
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Streetwolf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:16 pm

I got to thinking about what I might have changed at the time and it hit me. In my router setup I defined my DNS's instead of in my Ethernet properties in Windows. I deleted them from my router and added them to my Ethernet properties. Viola! NBP running full bore and I can run my other internet using programs with no timeouts or lag.

I bet this might fix a few other little issues I was having too. I always thought adding DNS's to the router was the way to go. Evidently not.
Streetwolf
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:43 pm

Wow, good catch. Never would have thought that would make a difference.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:59 pm

I bet this might fix a few other little issues I was having too. I always thought adding DNS's to the router was the way to go. Evidently not

Makes me think your router is struggling to keep up.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Streetwolf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:29 pm

Quade wrote:
I bet this might fix a few other little issues I was having too. I always thought adding DNS's to the router was the way to go. Evidently not

Makes me think your router is struggling to keep up.

I max out my pipeline regularly. Maybe it's a bug in the router software with static DNS. I use the latest Tomato firmware for my Asus RT-N16. If you are thinking it might be the new firmware causing the problem I've had this flashed before I added the DNS and didn't have the problem with no DNS defined.

**** stupid thing I said. Of course it could be the new firmware because I added the DNS some time after I flashed the firmware. I never had DNS in my router before.
Streetwolf
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby bertm » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:32 pm

Unrecognized DownloadsV2.db3 file.

I started Newsbin and was distracted by a message about a new version. I closed Newsbin as quickly as I had started it.

I found the message was old, but now the downloads file is not recognized. I checked and the NBI is pointing to the proper location, but my abrupt close seems to have impacted the DownloadsV2.db3 file. I have opened and closed Newsbin and the DownloadsV2.db3 is not being overridden. I tried dragging and dropping DownloadsV2.db3 onto Newsbin but nothing happens. Double-clicking opens MS Access. Be advised I still us XP, if this is a problem.

I have reloaded the NBIs that I had on disk but I would, if possible, like to reload the original downloads file.
bertm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/30/06

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:12 pm

You might be out of luck.

Do you see any other "DownloadsV2" files in that folder? Like a .db3.bad?

It might be possible to dump a corrupt DB and recover some of the contents.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby bertm » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:04 am

No. Don't worry, I can just use the NZBs.

I guess I lost it anyway. Seeing the file with the same size (I had made a copy After I noticed) I assumed the DLs were queued. But the time stamp has changed so I guess at some point the file will be compacted once the need is triggered, then the file size will change.

Again, I'm all set.
Thanks
bertm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/30/06

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support