toolbar changes not saved

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

toolbar changes not saved

Postby amraa » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:23 pm

until exiting the program. File->save configuration doesn't do it, as I've discovered after a power failure.
6.81 5080 on Win7/64
amraa
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/21/12

Re: toolbar changes not saved

Postby Quade » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:44 pm

"File Save" saves the configuration file. Not the layout. The layout is stored on exit.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby amraa » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:58 am

Quade wrote:"File Save" saves the configuration file. Not the layout. The layout is stored on exit.

Yes.. that was my point :(
Even group lists are not saved.. so, what is included in "configuration"? I assume the "option" box is saved just by pressing "OK", at least?
6.81 5080 on Win7/64
amraa
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:05 am

Newsbin saves the subscribed groups list when you exit the "add groups" window. It saves all the options when you exit the options window. So I'm not sure what you're seeing.

Keep in mind I'm only talking about the latest version. Older versions likely work differently. On a power failure, you'll be lucky not to get corrupt files if Newsbin is currently working with them. Might even completely lose the configuration file. That's why Newsbin maintains backup copies of the configuration file for you.

It doesn't save the screen layout till you exit. I'm probably not going to change that. The screen layout is saved in the file "Workspace.xml" in the data folder.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby amraa » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:48 am

Yes, I'm experiencing the "power failure" thing right now :( why should the configuration change so constantly, that a power failure corrupts it so badly? and on restart, if I choose the latest, it fails to save it and instructs me to choose a different file, without any clue what are the differences. I have to explore to the installation location and investigate.

I'm offered 4 files, some don't even exist! nowhere on my system is there a "newsbin.nbi" file sized 155kb.
Whichever file I choose, I'm asked the save it. What is the correct file name to give this saved file? clearly not the filename offered, as it it says the file already exists. I'm REQUIRED to know the internals of newsbin, to know the correct config filename. WHY?? why not save it at the correct name and location without asking ME what is it? you know it, I dont, why ask me?.
I have to spend time with google and searching this forum on something that should be painless.
6.81 5080 on Win7/64
amraa
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:28 am

amraa wrote:Yes, I'm experiencing the "power failure" thing right now :( why should the configuration change so constantly, that a power failure corrupts it so badly? and on restart, if I choose the latest, it fails to save it and instructs me to choose a different file, without any clue what are the differences. I have to explore to the installation location and investigate.

I'm offered 4 files, some don't even exist! nowhere on my system is there a "newsbin.nbi" file sized 155kb.
Whichever file I choose, I'm asked the save it. What is the correct file name to give this saved file? clearly not the filename offered, as it it says the file already exists. I'm REQUIRED to know the internals of newsbin, to know the correct config filename. WHY?? why not save it at the correct name and location without asking ME what is it? you know it, I dont, why ask me?.
I have to spend time with google and searching this forum on something that should be painless.

The file getting corrupted on power failure scenarios is a generic Windows problem in that it can corrupt any files that are open at the time of the failure

The "saved" files that you are offered for restore are not necessarily anywhere on your system at the moment. They are snapshots that were taken at the date/time specified and stored in a database. There is no "correct" filename and location - they are whatever the user specifies. Some uses have multiple Newsbin configuration files with different settings that they use according to circumstance. If you specify a file that already exists you should be told that, but then allowed to overwrite it if you want to.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby amraa » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:10 am

itimpi wrote:
amraa wrote:Yes, I'm experiencing the "power failure" thing right now :( why should the configuration change so constantly, that a power failure corrupts it so badly? and on restart, if I choose the latest, it fails to save it and instructs me to choose a different file, without any clue what are the differences. I have to explore to the installation location and investigate.

The file getting corrupted on power failure scenarios is a generic Windows problem in that it can corrupt any files that are open at the time of the failure

The "saved" files that you are offered for restore are not necessarily anywhere on your system at the moment. They are snapshots that were taken at the date/time specified and stored in a database. There is no "correct" filename and location - they are whatever the user specifies. Some uses have multiple Newsbin configuration files with different settings that they use according to circumstance. If you specify a file that already exists you should be told that, but then allowed to overwrite it if you want to.

no, it is not. Windows does not randomly corrupts files on your hard disk on power failure, certainly not with NTFS. I got NO such problem with any other software installed. none.

please, What is this master database of configurations ?

Thanks.
6.81 5080 on Win7/64
amraa
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:41 am

no, it is not. Windows does not randomly corrupts files on your hard disk on power failure, certainly not with NTFS. I got NO such problem with any other software installed. none.

I never lose configuration files. I start and stop Newsbin 50 times a days and under the debugger I often just kill it. I still never lose them. On the other hand, users do lose the configuration file. Sometimes it's caused by registry cleaner software removing Newsbin's link to the configuration file. Sometimes, like you, a power failure takes it out. It's pretty rare for that to happen but it happens. It seems to happen when the power failure hits at just the right instance while Newsbin is in the middle of saving the file.

The backup configurations are stored in "GuiItems.db3" which is in your "User" folder.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby amraa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:35 am

6.81 5080 on Win7/64
amraa
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am

I made a change in the latest beta (6.70) to help address this issue too. The way it saves the NBI means the chance of corruption or loss of data should be far less likely.

It essentially writes the save to a different file, then makes a backup of the old file, then renames the different file to the correct name.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support