Filter Profiles Not Completly Working in Search

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Filter Profiles Not Completly Working in Search

Postby OldGuyWalking » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:57 am

Version 6.70 Beta 2 Build 4470

I've been using NB a lot today and just downloaded and installed this beta to see if the Hide Old was really working (and it is) and discovered that Filter Profile in Search is ignoring some matches but not others. No errors.

I've been working on reducing the number of filter records and the Filters were working fine until I installed the beta. I hadn't made any changes to anything.

Also, I went into delete a single row from a Filter Profile and it took 13 minutes, 43 seconds for it to save and close the Filter dialog so I'm a little leary about going in and even looking at the filter data.

No spike in CPU or memory, data files are all on local hard drive, same as NB.

Bill
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 x64 Pro SP 1; Intel Core i5 Quad 3.40GHz; 16 GB DDR3 RAM; GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB; Seagate Serial ATA, 1TB, 7200RPM
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/14/06

Re: Filter Profiles Not Completly Working in Search

Postby OldGuyWalking » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:28 am

Version 6.70 Beta 2 Build 4470

I've extracted the data from the Filter Profile and a group of records (Subject data) from Search that the Filter should be acting on, but isn't, and can send if it would help.

Bill
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 x64 Pro SP 1; Intel Core i5 Quad 3.40GHz; 16 GB DDR3 RAM; GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB; Seagate Serial ATA, 1TB, 7200RPM
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:05 pm

How big is your filters.db3? I've never seen it take any noticeable time to save so, it suggests a problem with the file or a massive number of filters. The likes of which I've never seen before. It's possible that the new version of the regex library is barfing on the number of filters.

You could rar up the filters.db3 and email it to ts@newsbin.com. I have a feeling this is going to come down to a "number of filters" and the new version of the library thing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby BIZARRE » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:23 pm

Same problem here, started and finished in another post so thought I'd post here to try not breaking this topic up. Please delete my other thread.
BIZARRE
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/06/10

Postby BIZARRE » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:46 pm

HI Quade,

Just wanted to say this new 6.70B4 has solved the semi working filters. Thanks man!!
BIZARRE
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:17 pm

Really? I didn't think it was working right in this version. oh well happy accident.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby BIZARRE » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:06 pm

Well everything that wasn't being hidden has started being hidden, seems to be a bit faster too... however on a side note I still seem to find the "show file age" setting doesn't save.
BIZARRE
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:51 am

Ok I was talking about using the filter profiles to filter what goes into the watch list.

Say you have a watch list looking for "FULL". You could then add additional filters to the filter profile to winnow the results down more. It would allow you to make a broad search but filters download using more sophisticated filters.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby OldGuyWalking » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:47 pm

Sorry for the late response.. life happens.

Based on your response about having too many filters (in the Filter Profiles), I had one large profile of about 3,300 records, one with 93, and the rest were under 50 records each. I deleted the 3,300 record profile and things sped up. I've added about 560 records back in but split them up among 8 profiles and response time is still good. So far, it does not seem to be missing any records when I use the filters.

Note, I did not have a problem filtering records even with the 3,300 record filter. It was slower than the rest, which I expected. The problem I had was with the Filter Profile form taking several minutes to close even when I hadn't made any changes to any filters.

Problems:
>>Hide Old is still hit and miss. It seemed to be working better in B3 but I think it was luck. I can have Hide Old selected and a profile selected and it will still show old records. There are times when I'll select a profile and even if there are no new records it will display old records. Selecting Hide Old multiple times gives me different results each time but still shows both old and new records.

>>Status column doesn't sort correctly. I can make the Old records go away (at least temporarily) by selecting them and selecting "Mark Posts Old". The problem is that I can't sort them into a group in order to select them.

----
Being able to filter on posters is very helpful and appreciated. Helps to narrow the lists down by being able to focus on the valid posters for certain groups.

Thanks,

Bill
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:46 pm

Note, I did not have a problem filtering records even with the 3,300 record filter.

This is a crazy number of filters. It doesn't surprise me you're having performance issues when you go to close the window. Not sure there's much I can do about it. When you close the window it's checking all the filters and saving them. It's probably the checking that makes it slow.

You might want to consider combining multiple filters into a single line by making use of regular expressions.

For example

[.][0-9]{2,3}

Would cover all numbers from 100 to 999.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby OldGuyWalking » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:25 am

I've used regular expressions where possible but for what I'm filtering regex doesn't really work so well because each item is text and tends to be unique. The 3300 records were accumulated over the last 3 or so years. It was time to start from scratch anyways since some of the filters that were applicable 3 years ago were no longer needed.

At least if it bogs down again I'll know why.

Thanks,

Bill
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support