NB Freeze

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

NB Freeze

Postby TBlack » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:34 pm

6.70B3

Just had a freeze at 0/600 (0). NB was downloading a file that was not fully completed, Progress Bar showing Red on the right side of the Bar. Help/About unfroze NB, but cache only returned to 361/600 (0). Tried Help/About twice with no joy...could not get back to 600/600 (0).

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Re: NB Freeze

Postby Quade » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:49 pm

I never was able to make it happen and how chunks work now is quite different than before. I might be able to put back the special slow mode for you again but it'll be a hidden option that you can enable in the NBI. There's a guy on the IRC channel who downloads at 500 Mbps and this never happens to him so I'm going to assume it's something specific to you.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby TBlack » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:04 pm

Download speed is not a problem for me. I d/l @ 90 Mbps and steady on 8 Connections. It seems a file causes some corruption or some such thing. It always seems to be a file that is not complete on the Server and throws NB for a loop. And this only happens once in a while, i.e. a corrupted file.

I also sometimes have to re download the previous 50,000 or 100,000 Header for a certain group for Posts to fill properly.

What would prevent Help/About from clearing the cache?

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:42 am

No idea. It doesn't happen here.

As for the re-downloading, you might just reload the group. I'm not losing any headers but new header integration with old data is a bit flakey. Reloading the group typically straightens it out (load not download).
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby TBlack » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:22 am

Quade wrote:

No idea. It doesn't happen here.

Just saw another thread posted in the last few hours discussing this as well. Why the Cache cannot be flushed by Help/About might hold some clues. http://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php ... 06#p213906

As for the re-downloading, you might just reload the group. I'm not losing any headers but new header integration with old data is a bit flakey. Reloading the group typically straightens it out (load not download).

Yes, I reload often in certain groups after updating the group headers because some posts are fractured with RAR part stragglers and reloading is the only way to fix. Believe I have commented on this before a while back hoping Group Updating after Header Download could better handle this issue.

I also now think I update Groups too aggressively. Updating group headers every hour seems to cause less freeze problems because posts are more complete if not fully complete. NB seems to not have any issues with complete posts.

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:28 am

ust saw another thread posted in the last few hours discussing this as well. Why the Cache cannot be flushed by Help/About might hold some clues. http://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php ... 06#p213906

There's two different issues here.

1 - Not purging chunks between file sets is kinda shrug worthy. It's not a real problem because the chunks get flushed out and deleted eventually anyway. It's worth looking at but it doesn't impact downloading at all. There's no reason to help/about these chunks.

2 - Your case where you permanently lose chunks. This is pretty fatal and will eventually require a restart.

So #1 is a non-issue and #2 I can't reproduce. I don't know if #2 is related to your flaky header problems. I download headers fairly often though I am downloading them from 2 servers. I'm not losing any.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support