RAR Timestamps

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

RAR Timestamps

Postby TBlack » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:47 pm

6.70B4

Options/Autopar Options/Use Internal RAR Timestamps

Believe this is still broke. I think it struggles once it is set during the same session. It gets the date correct but the time is off. Seems the setting is forgotten in the next session and has to be reset.

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Re: RAR Timestamps

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:29 pm

Files in Windows have 3 timestamps. It you right-click the columns in explorer and select "Data Created" you'll get the date it was actually saved.

I'm still researching this. WinRAR out of the box saves the timestamps the way Newsbin is saving them now. Meaning "Date" is the timestamp of the file when it was added to the RAR while "Date Created" has the actual unrar date.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby TBlack » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:53 pm

Yes, changing my Date Column from Date Modified to Date Created seems to solve this issue.

I thought Date Created (literally) was when the file was first Created. Date Created would be superseded by the date the file was Modified for any reason, and would be the 'Updated' date. The Third Date Type, Last Accessed Date, really does not apply in this discussion.

Date Created might best be preserved as "Internal RAR Date", and Date Modified might be best served as "The Current Date" when UnRARed. I would vote for Date Modified because of how literal it is in this case. If one changes the date, it is then Modified from the Created Date in the RAR.

Would this be a good place to add a choice in NB on the AutoPar Tab of Options, under Use Internal RAR Timestamp and offer a Date Type, i.e. Created or Modified? Choice is always good for users and it makes sense here.

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:23 pm

I'm probably going to remove the option and leave it as is, matching how WinRAR works. I'm not planning on making it even more complicated. The only thing I might consider is re-enabling the existing option but defaulting it to on. The way WinRAR is.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby TBlack » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:38 pm

Quade wrote:The only thing I might consider is re-enabling the existing option but defaulting it to on. The way WinRAR is.

Reading your reply, not sure which way you're heading. I would vote for how it was pre-6.70x which is what I believe you stated above. Leaving the box unchecked uses the current system date and time during UnRAR as the Modified Date, not the Create Date. If you want to default it to ON, that's fine. ON will be the Internal RAR Date and Time, and OFF will be the current system date and time as the Modified Date.

Thanks
Tom
TBlack
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support