downloaded files do not show up

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

downloaded files do not show up

Postby RayMark » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:34 am

Sometimes it happens occasionally but usually restarting NewsBin solves the problem. But this time I have encountered a post that NEVER shows up.
I tried it with Newsbin versions 6.55 final, 6.62 final and 6.70 beta 4 - the result is always the same:

Files (rar parts and par2 blocks) are shown as downloaded but never show up in the download folder. And then (naturally) I am getting errors:
ERROR AssembleSpoolFile - Unable to open Spool file

Other posts appear in exactly the same folder without problems, so it is not my hard drive or the download path. Maybe something specific in that post or its name that NewsBin does not like.
In particular, the file names begin with "Con." - maybe the output is redirected to console or something.

I am not sure if I am allowed to post the details of that particular post here. So the details sent to Quade in a PM.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Re: downloaded files do not show up

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:02 am

You can PM me the specific post but not post it here. I'd be looking at the download path for these files. I wonder if you have some "per group" download paths set and they're set for a drive that no longer exists.

Edit: I see you already did.

"J:\NNTP\Unsorted\"

Does this drive still exist?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:54 am

Dex says he can reproduce your results.

Maybe something specific in that post or its name that NewsBin does not like.
In particular, the file names begin with "Con." - maybe the output is redirected to console or something.

I actually think you found a bug in windows. I do think you're correct about the "Con" part. Windows simply refuses to even attempt to open the files. I've tracked it right down to the specific call into windows itself.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby nada2k » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:00 pm

There's a very good explanation of this behaviour here: http://superuser.com/questions/613313/why-cant-we-make-con-prn-null-folder-in-windows.
nada2k
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/16/11

Postby RayMark » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:13 pm

Is it possible to use a different call to create those files? Because I can create files with such names manually - no problem. For example, with FAR SHIFT-F4.

A possible workaround: if a file name begins with such a sensitive prefix followed by a dot, perhaps it would be possible to add something in front of it or to replace the dot with underscore, etc.
That would allow to create the downloaded files, but if the file inside the rar also has the name Con.something.... there might be a problem with extracting it. Or perhaps not - if I can create such a file, perhaps unrar can as well.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:22 pm

It's already fixed. At least this particular set. Honestly this is the first time it's come up in many years so I don't think it's a common problem.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby RayMark » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:46 am

Thank you very much.

I also see that the files are extracted from rars (and so, created successfully) even though their names also begin with "Con."
However, such files cause problems when attempting to play them, so I had to rename them after all :)
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support