Version 6.70 Beta 5 Available...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Version 6.70 Beta 5 Available...

Postby dexter » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:53 pm

Version 6.70 Beta 5 has a number of bug fixes and seems pretty stable. There are a number of small clean-up fixes as well as some esoteric issues that have been addressed.

Here is a summary of changes:

• Fixed issue processing files that start with "con.". They will fail to be created during download.
  • Fixed issue where the speed guage reading was about 10% high
  • Fixed issue where not all downloaded headers were showing up in the post list.
  • Fixed issue where header downloads weren't using the server colors.
  • Fixed issue where large search based downloads don't always show "part01.rar" as the primary file.
  • Sped up startup time when you have a large files list. Like > 10,000 items.
  • Fixed the files list search function. Works on filename, path and subject
  • Fixed issue where the Find in files list wasn't scrolling to the top most item.
  • Fixed issue with filter file sizes not applying consistently.
  • Fixed issue with NZB Filename cleaner cleaning a bit too much.
  • Fixed issue with Ctrl-Y not forcing a re-download
  • Fixed issue where Ctrl-R was feeding binary to the output file resulting in much larger files than they should be.
  • Fixed issue where Watch re-scan won't work in local mode if you don't specify a topic.
  • Watch List re-scan now obeys any set age limit.

The complete list of changes and the download link is on the Newsbin Beta Page. Any questions, comments, or bug reports can be made by replying to this thread or by using the Technical Support Contact Form.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Version 6.70 Beta 5 Available...

Postby Maelstroem » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Has handling Gzipped NZB's changed? Have loaded a Gzipped NZB from a site I use regular and NB is not recognising it? Worked in previous releases and previous Beta4! Extracting the NZB and loading/downloading in NB is working as expected so the NZB is valid, just NB not recognising it when gzipped!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/03/03

Postby dexter » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:50 pm

Send it to us and we'll check it out. ts at newsbin dot com
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:26 am

64 bits or 32?

Restart Newsbin and look in the logging tab.

[22:23:56] DEBUG High Speed File Creation Mode: Disabled - "Run as Administrator" to Activate this mode
[22:23:56] HIGH PAR Pausing: Enabled
[22:23:57] HIGH Par2Repair - Single-core 1.5
[22:23:57] HIGH MessageId Filter: Enabled
[22:23:57] HIGH FileType Version: 2.01

You should see this. If you're missing "FileType" then I'd suggest a re-install.

LibFiletype32.dll
LibFiletype64.dll

You should see one or both of these in the install folder.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby BZee » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:44 am

From the 6.70b2 thread:

BZee wrote:I'm seeing bright blue progress bars for individual pictures with single or multiple [2 or 3] parts (not a color I have set for a server). also the 'Current Progress:' area is not divided by lines for multi-part pictures (but the blue shading does fill in the correct part areas).

Still the same in 6.70b5. I would like to see the server colors used so I could get an idea of how each server is being utilized (I access 5 servers).

Edit: For incomplete multi-part pictures the missing segment(s) are shown in red at the end of the file even if it is a middle segment that is missing.
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/13/03

Postby Maelstroem » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:45 am

Quade,

I run Win10 x64 LTSB so only have the LibFiletype64.dll.

I have now totally uninstalled/deleted NB and re-installed/re-registered from scratch but get the same issue with gzipped NZB's, Logging TAB shows the info about HIGH FileType Version 2.01! I then copied over my NBI and SPOOL_V6 folder from my backup and now Logging info does not show on restart but same issue with gzipped NZB files!

I've always upgraded over the top of my NB install so wonder if it's time for fresh start regards the NBI/Logging issue, old/stale settings no longer used?

I've also emailed one of the NZB's to the address Dexter gave!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:38 pm

I've also emailed one of the NZB's to the address Dexter gave!

I reproduced it. Thanks. Works if I un-gz it first. Doesn't work as a GZ.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maelstroem » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:42 pm

Yes, works when extracted so that's what i'm doing until it's fixed, thanks for confirming!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Teddy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:24 pm

In NewsBin 6.70B 5, Safe Configuration as... a click, and later on save click, there comes a popup window
"Newsbin50" and the Message is "Encountered an improper argument". I click on ok, the window closes.
NewsBin hangs and can exit only via the Task Manager.
sorry my bad englisch
Greetings Teddy
Teddy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/10/12

Postby muzz » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:47 am

Teddy wrote:In NewsBin 6.70B 5, Safe Configuration as... a click, and later on save click, there comes a popup window
"Newsbin50" and the Message is "Encountered an improper argument". I click on ok, the window closes.
NewsBin hangs and can exit only via the Task Manager.
sorry my bad englisch

I had this same error on B4 and it doesnt seem to have saved any configs since the update. I now tried to install B5 and it was as if my previous install didnt exist. I managed to get it running by double clicking and older nbi file from B3. But I still cannot exit without task manager and cannot save a new config file. Always "Encountered an improper argument".
muzz
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/25/06

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:11 am

I've been trying to reproduce this but haven't managed to. I wonder if the folder you're trying to save to is read only or something like that?

How about trying to save to your "My Documents" folder or something like that?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Teddy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:37 am

Quade wrote:How about trying to save to your "My Documents" folder or something like that?

In documents or other folders, same error. Must end with Task Manager.

Most recently, NewsBin automatically makes backup, Einstellung.nbi.bak, and Einstellung.nbi.old. Can hang it so together.
Greetings Teddy
Teddy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:53 am

Most recently, NewsBin automatically makes backup, Einstellung.nbi.bak, and Einstellung.nbi.old. Can hang it so together.

Yeah when it saves, it first write the new NBI file to the "nbi.old" then when it finishes the write, it copies the old one to ".bak" then copy's the new one to the real name.

I doubt that has anything to do with this issue. The change means that in a crash, if Newsbin is in the middle of saving the NBI you still have it original NBI in place when you restart.

Ok I figured out what's going on. "Save As" wasn't actually saving the NBI, it was just setting the new path so, parts of the program were unhappy that I was setting a path for a file that didn't exist yet.

Thanks for the report. Kinda surprised people are actually using "Save As". I've fixed it. It'll be in the next beta. You can manually copy the NBI file for now using explorer.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Teddy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:21 am

Quade wrote:
Thanks for the report. Kinda surprised people are actually using "Save As". I've fixed it. It'll be in the next beta. You can manually copy the NBI file for now using explorer.

Thanks, I've done that.
Greetings Teddy
Teddy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby muzz » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:47 am

Thanks for fixing the save as. I use it each month or release to save a new config with date version in the name. I was also getting the error just trying to save as well.

With the change to show dates in tabs such as "Last Updated", will there be an option to keep the old format of time lapsed in days/hours etc?
muzz
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/25/06

Postby Quade » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:06 am

Ctrl-T toggles the date format. There's an option in the advanced options too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Bismark » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:40 pm

Activate speed limiter is not working now.

My network works at about 120 Mb. I've set the limit to 100mb and all I get is 60mb with NB. I even set the limit to 200 and only got 70 mb. If I turn off speed limiting, it uses all the bandwidth, but with it on I only get about 50%. I noted something changed in this area, maybe it needs a little more attention.

Thanks.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/27/10

Postby EvanVanVan2 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:24 am

I just updated from 6.70B2 to 6.7B5. With both versions I'm having a problem with Newsbin freezing constantly as the download finishes/starts to par repair/starts to unrar. It'll freeze from anywhere to 5secs to 45 seconds before it starts to work again. I don't know if has something to do with the re-written download engine, but it was never a problem before 6.70B2.

Just a few stats for reference:
i7 3730K
32 GB DDR3
Windows 7 x64
Samsung PRO SSD

edit: After writing this, Newsbin was trying to par repair a download and has been frozen for 2+ minutes. I'm sure it'll come back at some point, but it's still a pain.

Also, I've recently noticed that several of my downloads (that are par repairable) have "finished up and been removed from the download list" without assembling the 20-30 files that are yellow with red lines (missing parts), which means that there aren't enough files in the Newsbin folder to repair it with quickpar. I then have to go back and find the NZB and "redownload" the file (which happens essentially instantly) and manually "Assemble Incompletes" for all the unfinished rars.
EvanVanVan2
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/12/10

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:47 pm

just updated from 6.70B2 to 6.7B5. With both versions I'm having a problem with Newsbin freezing constantly as the download finishes/starts to par repair/starts to unrar. It'll freeze from anywhere to 5secs to 45 seconds before it starts to work again. I don't know if has something to do with the re-written download engine, but it was never a problem before 6.70B2.

Yeah. Thanks for the report.

The problem is assembling partial PAR files. They cause the GUI to stall till the par processing completes. I've actually fixed it already and the fix will be in the next beta. If you can just ignore the stall it'll fix itself. The larger the PAR the longer the stall is.

Also, I've recently noticed that several of my downloads (that are par repairable) have "finished up and been removed from the download list" without assembling the 20-30 files that are yellow with red lines (missing parts), which means that there aren't enough files in the Newsbin folder to repair it with quickpar. I then have to go back and find the NZB and "redownload" the file (which happens essentially instantly) and manually "Assemble Incompletes" for all the unfinished rars.

How many retries do you have set? Do they end up on the failed list?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:50 pm

Activate speed limiter is not working now.

I'll have to check it out. Reducing connections will reduce the speed too as a work around.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Bismark » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:25 pm

Re: Activate Speed Limits:

I'm not reporting that it is running too slow, but not fast enough under limited speed. I set it to about 90% of my network speed and it seems to run at 50%. BTW: Sometimes it does a little better getting to about 75%.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/27/10

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:36 pm

I'm not reporting that it is running too slow, but not fast enough under limited speed. I set it to about 90% of my network speed and it seems to run at 50%. BTW: Sometimes it does a little better getting to about 75%.

Yeah, I understand but if you don't want to use it at all, you could tweak the speed by reducing connections also.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby EvanVanVan2 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:54 pm

Quade wrote:

How many retries do you have set? Do they end up on the failed list?

I've got the default max 2 retries it looks like. They don't end up in the failed file list, but it's also a hard thing to watch. When it's an 8+ GB download, with 20-30 rars with missing parts, I see the files continuously retry and at some point I get bored and look at something else and the next time I check the file is gone from the download list. I'm actually not sure if this is a new problem or has been around for a while (pre-6.70B2 versions).
EvanVanVan2
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/12/10

Postby Maelstroem » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:40 pm

Have an NZB with some PARS and a RAR that has a part missing but shows as complete when loading in NB, blue dot with P status?

Thought it was strange that the download list showed the RAR as incomplete and clicking Retry Download wasn't doing anything as the post list shows it complete, but the properties show 1 part missing. Normally I get the yellow exclamation triangle if an NZB has incomplete files but not this one? Assemble Incompletes works and can repair the file with the included PARS, but wondering why NB isn't detecting the NZB as incomplete?
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:47 pm

You could email it to ts@newsbin.com and we could check it out.

Keep in mind, turning red is error and not incomplete. Incomplete shows as a black bar. You can have complete files with bad chunks of the file (turned red).
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maelstroem » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:05 pm

Not red or black, my download bar is blue and there is a white space at the end, presumably indicating the missing block! I'll email the NZB to you!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:53 pm

You need to hit the + icon to see what's actually there. It's probably got 20 or more RARS and pars hidden away under the +.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby majestyx » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:06 am

Not sure how long ago this was implemented, but I have a question about the "Cache: n1/n2 (n3)" that is displayed in the status bar at the bottom of the program. What is the number in the parentheses? I know it corresponds to how many .gz files are stored in the Import folder, which I am guessing are compressed lists of downloaded headers, but what exactly does that mean?

I know that after I download headers from a group with 10s of millions or more headers, it takes the program quite a long time to import all these headers into the corresponding spools, resulting in a lot of CPU and disk activity. Is it supposed to take a long time to do this? I don't recall it taking nearly this long (approximately an hour to import about 44 million headers in one group) to import header in the past, but then again, I don't think I was dealing with groups with quite this many headers. Just trying to see if it's my system or if this is typical for the program. I am running Win 7 x64 with 8 GB of RAM and a Quad Core AMD, although it's at least a 5 year old system, with a main HD of 1 GB about half full, plus a 2nd 1 GB HD, again about half full, where I am keeping the Newsbin data which would usually be in the C:\User\...\Newsbin\ folder on the main drive.
majestyx
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/04

Postby Quade » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:04 am

Look at the size of the import folder, multiply it by 10 and that's how much data was downloaded from the news server. Depending on the groups, it's a bunch of data. I have about 200 groups and even though my machine is pretty powerful it takes 10-15 minutes to import them all.

I could import them faster by say doing 2 GZ's at a time but I think many PC's would groan under the load. One thing you can do it set Newsbin to download headers every 30 minutes to an hour. Then there's never a huge lump of headers to process in one go.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maelstroem » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:09 pm

Quade wrote:You need to hit the + icon to see what's actually there. It's probably got 20 or more RARS and pars hidden away under the +.

Already have, 9 PAR files and 1 RAR and all files show complete status, but properties of the RAR show it has part 49 missing yet NB isn't identifying it's incomplete visually! Only when checking the properties of every file does it show the RAR having part 49 missing and looking at the NZB, part 49 is missing from it! Obviously the NZB was generated with part 49 missing, should NB be identifying it as incomplete when parsing the NZB?
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:04 pm

Edited:

I had a chance to look at the NZB. It's not showing incompletes so I can repro your results.

It shows a black bar in the download list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maelstroem » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:52 pm

Strange, I don't get a black bar showing though? I've downloaded it again using Download - Bypass Filters and the download list shows a blue bar progressing then stops just short of complete with a white space at the end, no black bar for the missing part?
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:01 pm

You'll only see a black bar if you hit the + icon. Like I mentioned above. There's a single RAR in the group and it's showing a black bar. It's possible you have the progress bar set too small to see it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maelstroem » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Quade wrote:You'll only see a black bar if you hit the + icon. Like I mentioned above. There's a single RAR in the group and it's showing a black bar. It's possible you have the progress bar set too small to see it.

I've stretched the Current Progress bar as wide as my 24" monitor and it still shows the same, no black bar only a white space at the end? I have to click the + icon so I can see the RAR as I only download the RAR first, then repair if needed! So I totally uninstalled NB and got rid of everything and started again, still no black bar shows in the download lists current progress bar? One other thing, my servers are set as yellow in the server options but the bar is blue?

Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:53 pm

You'll only see a black bar if you hit the + icon.

I've said this 2 or 3 times already. It sure doesn't look like you've hit the + icon from your screen shot.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby enchant » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:05 am

While you're making changes, would it be possible to change the background color of "incomplete" posts to something other than white? This is the same color as posts I've already downloaded, and it's a little confusing.
enchant
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/14/10

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:55 am

Look in the options for "colors/fonts". I think "Partial Download" (which probably needs to be renamed) is the color you want.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby enchant » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:24 pm

Excellent - thanks!
enchant
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/14/10

Postby Maelstroem » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:45 pm

Quade wrote:
You'll only see a black bar if you hit the + icon.

I've said this 2 or 3 times already. It sure doesn't look like you've hit the + icon from your screen shot.

You mean the + icon in the post list after loading the NZB:

If so, that's how I've always downloaded RARs in NZB files!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:53 pm

If you look at the progress on that RAR, you should see a black bar about 1/2 in. That's the one missing block you noted.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maelstroem » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:16 pm

Quade wrote:If you look at the progress on that RAR, you should see a black bar about 1/2 in. That's the one missing block you noted.

I know this will piss you off but I don't see a black bar, the pic I posted of the current progress bar is all I see with the + icon expanded, blue with a white space at then end :) Whatever the issue, it doesn't stop me assembling the incomplete file and repairing it!

Think we'll leave it at that as I either have a setting not configured or old registry entries, you can see it so it's obviously something my end I can't figure!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:51 pm

It's really not that important. I confirmed that it wasn't tagged incomplete even though one block was missing.

It's on my todo list and I have the NZB so, it's all good.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Maelstroem » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:47 am

Yep, thanks Quade!
Maelstroem
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Re: Win XP

Postby bertm » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:10 pm

I guess I'm spoiled because it seems gone are the days of backward compatibility. I guess Microsoft, seeing the abysmal compatibility of the various Android versions, decided they no longer need to spend the extra money they had spent in the past to migrate customers AND their old programs.

That said, could you enlighten me as to the special differences (besides sociability) that leaps Win 7, 8.1, and 10 apart from Windows XP? Full disclosure, I have my old XP desktop, but I do possess a Win 8.1 tablet. I have tried three times to upgrade my 8.1 tablet to Win 10, unsuccessfully. I finally figured out an Intel Web Cam upgrade was incompatible. Speaking to MS I found there are many unresolved third party issues.

I'm staying w/8.1 anyway after I saw the even fewer number of apps for Win 10 than for 8.1 (if you could believe it). I am completely baffled that Microsoft with it's dearth of apps wouldn't want to entice new users by allowing them access to their old programs. Even Turbo Tax warned me 2015 is the last year for XP support.

Again, what are the unique features that operating systems beyond XP have?
bertm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/30/06

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:40 am

Not sure what you're asking.

MS is the king of backwards compatibility. Nobody in the industry can match them.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby bertm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:11 pm

Quade wrote:Not sure what you're asking.

MS is the king of backwards compatibility. Nobody in the industry can match them.

OK then, why is the new Newsbin not able to run on XP. What makes the New operating systems so different?
bertm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:29 pm

OK then, why is the new Newsbin not able to run on XP. What makes the New operating systems so different?

You know I initially assumed this had something to do with Newsbin and XP but you didn't actually say it so I didn't go down that path.

The tools I use to make programs don't by default make programs compatible with XP. I could make it happen by jumping through some hoops but I decided that supporting XP for 15 years was enough. it's time to make a break with the past. You can keep using 6.62 on XP if you want to. 6.70 just won't work under XP most likely.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby bertm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:27 pm

I am looking for a more general answer. Sure, I can live w/6.62 and I am doing so. I have no complaints about your decision. I would just like to know what distinguishes the new tools that causes the exclusion of XP?

My experience w/Win 10 has me uncertain about change. I clung to Win 2000 longer than I should have until I realized XP was more beneficial for multimedia (I bought a digital video/camera). Give me reasons to upgrade - what are the benefits?

It seems to me that there was a leap beginning with Windows 7. I'm just curious what that could be? Is it simply more modular programming tools to ease production of Apps/Programs as you may be suggesting?
bertm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby bertm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:21 pm

I think I've answered my own question - it's mostly about gaming and networking. I knew there was a leap beginning w/Win 7, so I found the answers - I think (you can further clarify):

Windows XP will not support DirectX versions beyond 9.0c.

HomeGroup is a major shift in home networking simplicity that makes older paradigms seem archaic.

Windows 7 is the first operating system from the software giant to natively support touch as a computer interface.
bertm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby johnisme » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:08 am

Found that if i deleted all posts from one poster and then clicked on 'clear the search entry' the deleted posts would pop back up,when i shut down newsbin pro and started it up gain those posts were gone.
johnisme
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/22/07

Next

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support