Reject If FileName Contains Seems to be broken

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Reject If FileName Contains Seems to be broken

Postby OldGuyWalking » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:37 am

I had a filter with a Reject If Subject Contains \.rar and a Reject If Filename Contains \.rar. It worked fine until I removed the Reject If Subject Contains \.rar. It now shows rows where the FileName has a .rar extension.

I've tested this on other filters with other file types and the Reject If Filename Contains doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks, Bill
-----------------------------------------------------------------
NB Version 6.70B5 Build 4508
Windows 7 x64 Pro SP 1; Intel Core i5 Quad 3.40GHz; 16 GB DDR3 RAM; GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB; Seagate Serial ATA, 1TB, 7200RPM
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/14/06

Re: Reject If FileName Contains Seems to be broken

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:17 am

Filename only applies during download when Newsbin finds out what the real filename is. So, a filename filter isn't going to change what you see listed.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby OldGuyWalking » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:55 am

Okay, so it doesn't work on the filenames shown when selecting "Show Filename". I realize selecting "Show Filename" just shows whatever is in quotes from the Description so there is no 100% guarantee that's the actual filename. Still it would seem logical that if you have a Show Filename option that a Reject If Filename would act on those results.

Then is Reject If Filename useful for anything other than in the Post Unrar filter in the UnRar settings?

Thanks,
Bill
-----------------------------------------------------------------
NB Version 6.70B5 Build 4508
Windows 7 x64 Pro SP 1; Intel Core i5 Quad 3.40GHz; 16 GB DDR3 RAM; GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB; Seagate Serial ATA, 1TB, 7200RPM
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/14/06

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:07 pm

Okay, so it doesn't work on the filenames shown when selecting "Show Filename".

The point is that what's displayed doesn't have to be the real filename. The real filename isn't known till download starts. For example, I might want to see anything that ends in rar but don't want it if the actual filename ends in EXE.

Then is Reject If Filename useful for anything other than in the Post Unrar filter in the UnRar settings?

It'll reject when downloading after downloading the first chunk of the file too. It's less of a problem now but it used to be fairly common to show a filenames in the subject and have a different filename in the actual post. With automated posting tools this seems to have gone away.

Whether it's useful or not is up to you. I just supply the tools. I don't get much use out of filename filtering. If you tend to download spam it could be useful. Newsbin can be set to automatically download from groups. To make that happen you need decent filtering.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support