Speed Limiter? Does it work?

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Speed Limiter? Does it work?

Postby Eurisko » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:12 pm

I have never really worked with this function much till tonight. When I am streaming with Plex, and Newsbin dives in on some new stuff, it impacts my streaming a bit, since I have a 300/20 connection, and Newsbin can peg it by itself.

I decided to play with the Speed Limit a bit (and the scheduler). I'm clearly missing something. If I enable it, and put it at MAX (200 Mbps/25MBps) then I get around 30 Mbps, and that's it. What am I missing? I saw something similar mentioned under beta 5.

I saw the work around was to limit the number of connections. Which would be ok if I could schedule that. I know bumping it down to 5 seems to throttle it around where I want, but I can't schedule that. I don't want to go back and forth with it. Am I missing something in the setup?
Eurisko
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/02/03

Re: Speed Limiter? Does it work?

Postby saintsinner » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:45 pm

On the current beta (6.73B1) I'll second the call that the speed limiter does *NOT* work unless you want to limit your connection below 20Mb, I have ~120Mb available to me, and to prevent newsbin from grabbing all of the available bandwidth when others are doing things I've tried to set the limiter to 70Mb... However as the previous poster mentions, it only limits it to ~20Mb regardless of what limit you set it to (above 20mb). PLEASE fix this as limited the number of connections is not a limited time thing unless we manually go in and tweak them as needed (which is a pain in the ass if you're only doing it for 20 minutes every so often)

Thanks!
Last edited by saintsinner on Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saintsinner
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/09/07

Postby dexter » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:28 pm

The mechanism was designed before consumer 100mbps connections existed. If you run fewer connections other applications will get more slices of available bandwidth. That's all I can suggest for now.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby saintsinner » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:37 pm

dexter wrote:The mechanism was designed before consumer 100mbps connections existed. If you run fewer connections other applications will get more slices of available bandwidth. That's all I can suggest for now.

Ahhh, that's annoying, but workaround-able. Though, out of curiousity, how on earth could it work reliably < 20mb but at the same time be unable to differentiate the speeds above 20Mb? (e.g. if I set the limited at 20, it stays at 20, at 15 it stays at 15 etc (+/- 1 mb) ) was it just more expedient way back when to hardcode a maximum speed limit to the throttling routine rather than spy on the reported throughput for the connection, or is it something else?
saintsinner
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/09/07

Postby dexter » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:47 pm

Quade will have to answer that question. He's out of town this weekend. I remember something about not being able to get a clock source with enough granularity to reliably limit above 20mbps.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support