Version 6.70 Beta 11 Available...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Version 6.70 Beta 11 Available...

Postby dexter » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:59 pm

Version 6.70 Beta 11 has a couple of more features hooked up, some bug fixes, and some cosmetic changes.

Here is the list:

• Hooked up the feature to prevent downloads while unraring to be used if there are performance issues.
  • Hooked up Filter profiles for watches.
  • Fixed issue with the selected count in the Post list wasn't incrementing.
  • Fixed issue where header downloads weren't stopping even when deleted from the download list.
  • Fixed issue where an empty watch list entry could gate the processing of the rest of the watch lists.
  • Made a change to prevent download from starting until after the download list completes loading at startup.
  • Removed \r\n in NNTP Command messages in the Logging tab, was making logs difficult to navigate.
  • Made change to Watch Scan, it was clearing partial results between groups during a scan.
  • Cosmetic change to add some space between the SSL port and the explanation on the Server Options page.

The download link is on the Newsbin Beta Page. Any questions, comments, or bug reports can be made by replying to this thread or by using the Technical Support Contact Form.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Version 6.70 Beta 11 Available...

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:15 pm

I forgot to mention it to Dex but the Sonarr and SB remote interfaces are working again.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Fisherking » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:50 am

Just for information

Before this version, my memory usage was 2500MB and CPU usage was %49

After this version, memory usage dropped to 900MB and CPU usage is %1 !!!! Incredible !

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with 16 Gig RAM, SSD, AMD a6-6400K
Fisherking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/06

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:24 am

People with a large download list should notice a marked reduction in RAM usage. The demand loading of the download list was simply loading too much. I have 11,000 sets of files in my download list, all paused and I don't even notice it during my normal downloading. They're there just to test the demand loading. They should also notice that loading the large download list up is much quicker. Because I pause the start of download till the load is completed. People with normal sized download lists probably won't notice any change.

What "demand loading" does is simply reduce how much of a set is loaded into memory at a time.

Another change is that you can now manually override "pause on unrar" by simply unpausing Newsbin. Before the "pause on unrar" was internal and you couldn't access it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby sonomazr2 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:26 am

I think there might be a problem with this. Threw 12 items in the download list that were complete by all indications. Most went into failed, missing pieces. Check web version of easynews and they were complete. Went into failed, download bypass filters one at a time and they completed.
sonomazr2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/22/09

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:59 am

What you're reporting isn't that unusual for newly posted files. Sometimes the information about the download arrives faster than the parts arrive on the news server.

It's hard to guess without knowing more.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby sonomazr2 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:26 am

They were new but not zero minute new. Also, wouldn't you see that problem in the download tab as black in the status line? They went green all the way across then straight to failed. No retry or par download. Not trying to be confrontational, just some observations. I haven't seen this particular behavior before. I'll keep an eye out and see if I can pin down more details.
sonomazr2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:38 am

They were new but not zero minute new. Also, wouldn't you see that problem in the download tab as black in the status line? They went green all the way across then straight to failed. No retry or par download. Not trying to be confrontational, just some observations. I haven't seen this particular behavior before. I'll keep an eye out and see if I can pin down more details.

It depends on where you get your download information. When someone posts a file to usenet, it gets spread all over the world so some servers will have it before other servers. Ideally if you download headers, what's in the header SHOULD be deliverable by the server but that isn't always the case. If you use our search engine or NZB Files, they could be 100% complete (meaning no black bars) but your news server might not have gotten all the parts yet.

If you see 430 errors on the log for the very newest files then it's a good bet your server just doesn't have them yet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby astrax » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:44 pm

I'm still having issues with, what seems to me, background tasks (or whatever you want to call it):
When I double click on it in the groups window, the newest headers are downloaded. Then it takes a moment, depending on how busy a group is, and the results are displayed in the group tab.
Fine, until I enter a search - then it goes into hibernation, and it seems to me a whole lot is going on in the background, since my harddrive is working like hell. Is that normal? I mean, the browsing in a group itself is incredibly fast and goes really smooth! Something which bothered me before, especially in large groups.

Thx.
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/10

Postby sonomazr2 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:23 pm

Quade wrote:

It depends on where you get your download information. When someone posts a file to usenet, it gets spread all over the world so some servers will have it before other servers. Ideally if you download headers, what's in the header SHOULD be deliverable by the server but that isn't always the case. If you use our search engine or NZB Files, they could be 100% complete (meaning no black bars) but your news server might not have gotten all the parts yet.

If you see 430 errors on the log for the very newest files then it's a good bet your server just doesn't have them yet.

Headers and files from Easynews. Nothing in the log tab. I'll try to recreate the situation later.
sonomazr2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:10 pm

Fine, until I enter a search - then it goes into hibernation, and it seems to me a whole lot is going on in the background, since my harddrive is working like hell.

I'm unclear how it can be fast and slow at the same time.

How many days worth of headers do you have loaded into memory?

Are you using local search in the search tab? The fact it's hitting the hard disk suggests you're talking about a local search. No disk IO is used to search a post list after it's loaded.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby astrax » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:42 am

Quade wrote:
Fine, until I enter a search - then it goes into hibernation, and it seems to me a whole lot is going on in the background, since my harddrive is working like hell.

I'm unclear how it can be fast and slow at the same time.

Sorr for the confusion. Once everything is displayed, the scrolling/browsing goes faster than it used to. At least on my computer. I had issues, when I wanted to select posts, and when I scrolled through a group, that it would "jump" up and down, or the selection wouldn't "stick" and i had to double click on a post, to get rid of it. Don't know, if that description makes any sense, sorry.

How many days worth of headers do you have loaded into memory?

You mean the display age? That's 21. download age is 30.
In the tab (after the group name) it says 37280, I guess, these are the headers.

Are you using local search in the search tab? The fact it's hitting the hard disk suggests you're talking about a local search. No disk IO is used to search a post list after it's loaded.

Yes, search tab. Let's say i just want to display posts with JPG in them, or I'm looking for a certain expression in the title.
There have been a lot of spam posts in that group (adult) recently for a couple of days, which I'm trying to get rid of, so I'm guessing it has to to with that. Sometimes I can't even "Permanently delete this poster", since NB doesn't react to the command (yes, it works in other groups).

*EDIT:
When I check the resource monitor in Windows, the DownloadMarker.db3 is getting a lot of activity.
I also want to apolgize for my confusing descriptions - english is not my first language.

**EDIT:
So, I got rid of the spam, by hand and by using filters, in the group that acted weird. Seems like it's functioning normal now.
But there's still the issue with the "Failed files" - they don't get marked as such in the group. Sometimes the error is not displayed and it used to be that way, that the failed file would be added at the top of the list, regardless of how old it was. Now the default sorting seems to be by age, and failed files are placed at the bottom of the list. Which is quite inconvenient.

THX.
Last edited by astrax on Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/10

Postby JanJonkman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:46 am

Hi there,

In b10 and B11 I'm detecting the following problem files which are incomplete on the server are assembled.

In B9 and all the previous versions the file is marked incomplete en is completed the next run when the file is completely available on the server

Regards,

Jan
JanJonkman
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/10/10

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support