Version 6.70 Release Candidate 2 Available...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Version 6.70 Release Candidate 2 Available...

Postby dexter » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:01 pm

This is going to become the final release. The language translations have been turned on in the installer. If you are one of our regular translation contributors, please check your language and perform updates on any words/phrases that have changed. http://translate.newsbin.com/index.php/ ... anslations

If you have tried using one of the translations and were frustrated by it, please volunteer to fix it! The translations are 100% volunteer translated by Newsbin users. We offer free Search subscriptions to our translators. Read about how to volunteer here.

Changes since the last release:

• Fixed "Use internal RAR timestamps" option.
  • Fixed issue handling posts with missing filenames
  • Fixed issue where expanded download progress bars weren't going gray when completed as intended
  • Fixed issue where posts with missing blocks were sometimes getting through as complete when they weren't
  • Tweaked the completion function. It was calling files with missing chunks complete pre-maturely.

The download link is on the Newsbin Beta Page. Any questions, comments, or bug reports can be made by replying to this thread or by using the Technical Support Contact Form.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Version 6.70 Release Candidate 2 Available...

Postby LIGHTNING UK! » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:38 pm

I was hoping my report in the RC1 thread on an issue where 'Storage Age' messes up the search results when dealing with a loaded NZB file would have been resolved in this one, but it doesn't seem to be.

At the moment, it's not returning any search results if the posts are older than 'Storage Age'... but surely 'Storage Age' shouldn't matter if you've loaded and are working with an NZB file?

Any chance it can make it onto the list of things to look at if it isn't there already? :)
LIGHTNING UK!
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/04/03

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:59 pm

It's too late in the game for 6.70. We're not going to hold up the release for it.

I can consider it for the next version.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby BZee » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:39 am

Test download (at least in some cases) is downloading a file without doing "Retry download" (and the file ends up being zero bytes)
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/13/03

Postby TheGlade » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:26 pm

I noticed some rarsets fail to download when the filename in the rarset is the same as the sample file outside the rar.

so if a nzb file contains a rarset with movie.mp4 and also movie.mp4 outside the rarset, then the download in newsbin will fail.
Even bypass filters won't work anymore.
TheGlade
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/20/05

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:56 pm

Send the NZB to ts@newsbin.com. I'll check it out.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby TheGlade » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:08 am

Ok, done.
TheGlade
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:21 am

Got it, thanks.

I've downloaded it twice now. Once with the download and unrar folder being different folders and once with the download and unrar folders being the same.

It worked both times.

How about trying again, then looking in the logging tab for any errors?

Edit: I figured out what's going on.

1 - The sample file isn't named "sample" but the PARS for the sample file are named "sample".

2 - The sample gets packed into the regular RAR set

3 - If the PAR for the sample downloads first, when the actual sample in the RAR set gets downloaded, the sample RAR says "finished".

4 - This removes the rar set from the download.

I'm not sure of an automated way to fix this yet. One thing you could do is create and NZB Loading filter and add "sample" to "subject reject" to remove all files matching "sample" from any NZB's you load.

Reject If Subject Contains [.]sfv
Reject If Subject Contains [.]srr
Reject If Subject Contains [.]nfo
Reject If Subject Contains [.]nzb
Reject If Subject Contains sample

Is what my NZB loading filter looks like.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby bertm » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:43 pm

The Alternate installer is pointing to 6.62.
bertm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/30/06

Postby dexter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:41 am

bertm wrote:The Alternate installer is pointing to 6.62.

Ah, missed that. Thanks. It's fixed now.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TheGlade » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:20 pm

Quade wrote:Got it, thanks.

[...]

Edit: I figured out what's going on.

1 - The sample file isn't named "sample" but the PARS for the sample file are named "sample".

2 - The sample gets packed into the regular RAR set

3 - If the PAR for the sample downloads first, when the actual sample in the RAR set gets downloaded, the sample RAR says "finished".

4 - This removes the rar set from the download.

I'm not sure of an automated way to fix this yet. One thing you could do is create and NZB Loading filter and add "sample" to "subject reject" to remove all files matching "sample" from any NZB's you load.

Reject If Subject Contains [.]sfv
Reject If Subject Contains [.]srr
Reject If Subject Contains [.]nfo
Reject If Subject Contains [.]nzb
Reject If Subject Contains sample

Is what my NZB loading filter looks like.

Thanks, that fixed my problem.
TheGlade
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby kirm » Sat May 07, 2016 4:46 pm

Just noticed this today, some of the groups that I dl headers from, due to heavy spammer uploads, are continually receiving headers when I go through the group after dl all headers. I have auto download set to 30 minutes. This does not seem to be normal procedure.

Just for info, I dl all headers and go through about 15 groups manually. These additional headers should not be appearing while I go through the groups after all headers have been updated. Using final current release.

kirm
kirm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/15/03

Postby Quade » Sat May 07, 2016 5:18 pm

Just for info, I dl all headers and go through about 15 groups manually.

There's never a reason to "Download all Headers" after the first time you do it so I hope you don't mean that you actually "Download all Headers". I assume you're downloading all the latest header (meaning a normal header download).

No idea what you mean about "more headers" because "More headers" is how usenet works. There are constantly new headers added to the active groups. If you really are "Downloading All Headers" each time, you should stop because it's pointless. Historical headers never change other than to get deleted and damaged by the server end. Often times Newsbin has a better copy of the oldest headers than the server does because you downloaded them before they became "Oldest".

I think what you're seeing is that Newsbin is importing headers in the background. Which is what happens where there are many headers to import.

How about clarifying how you download.

Assuming you're not actually "Download all Headers" on these groups I'd expect :

I have auto download set to 30 minutes.

to feed new headers to the group every 30 minutes. Honestly if you use this mode, you never have to manually download headers...ever.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby kirm » Sat May 07, 2016 8:29 pm

Just to clarify, Newsbin is set to automatically dl all headers in the 15 groups or so that I use. I wait till all the headers are done, then I go through each group manually (open each individual group) to see what I require. Just mentioned that I also have newsbin auto dl headers at 30 min intervals, but never am in newsbin for that long. I may open newsbin a couple of times throughout the day, let headers auto dl, then review the groups, (this is what I meant by manual)

In a couple of the groups due to heavy spams, after all my headers were dl, I open the group, and it kept filling with more files as I am reviewing the headers that were completed. I am not dl headers at this point and maybe spend 10 minutes going through my groups. Hope this clarifies this.
kirm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun May 08, 2016 12:07 am

Just to clarify, Newsbin is set to automatically dl all headers in the 15 groups or so that I use.

Yeah thus the confusion. Downloading every 30 minutes doesn't download "all". It downloads the new ones which is what you want it to do.

In a couple of the groups due to heavy spams, after all my headers were dl, I open the group, and it kept filling with more files as I am reviewing the headers that were completed. I am not dl headers at this point and maybe spend 10 minutes going through my groups. Hope this clarifies this.

If you look down at the cache line where it says "Cache: X/Y (N)", if N is >0 then Newsbin is still importing headers into your groups. You'll see them get added to the list till the import is done. If you have a nasty spam trap group. The import can take awhile.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby kirm » Sun May 08, 2016 12:58 am

Yeah thus the confusion. Downloading every 30 minutes doesn't download "all". It downloads the new ones which is what you want it to do.

This part I understand and am fully aware of

If you look down at the cache line where it says "Cache: X/Y (N)", if N is >0 then Newsbin is still importing headers into your groups. You'll see them get added to the list till the import is done. If you have a nasty spam trap group. The import can take awhile.

I will watch the cache to check importing, just thought once I import all headers (no more bars showing under download descriptions:) when I open the group, I thought that would be it. This part explains what is happening with all the spam headers, ranging in 300,000 plus range within 24 hours.

Should have never mentioned the 30 minute part due to I only go through a limited amount of groups that usually takes me 10 to 15 minutes, then shut down newsbin. By the time I get through the few groups, my download of files are usually complete (rogers ignite @250 Mbps).

Thanks
kirm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun May 08, 2016 12:04 pm

This part I understand and am fully aware of

I learned years ago never to assume. If you say "All" I assume you're really downloading "all" until you tell me otherwise. Some people really do "download all headers" each time.

I will watch the cache to check importing, just thought once I import all headers (no more bars showing under download descriptions:) when I open the group, I thought that would be it. This part explains what is happening with all the spam headers, ranging in 300,000 plus range within 24 hours.

Should have never mentioned the 30 minute part due to I only go through a limited amount of groups that usually takes me 10 to 15 minutes, then shut down newsbin. By the time I get through the few groups, my download of files are usually complete (rogers ignite @250 Mbps).

Better too much information than too little. Dex and I will trade 6 emails with someone and only at the end will the reveal they're using Linux or some one lung box.

Newsbin can download headers far faster than they can be packed into the header DB. So headers are stored on disk and imported as quickly as possible. (N) in the cache line tells you import status.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby kirm » Sun May 08, 2016 4:16 pm

Newsbin can download headers far faster than they can be packed into the header DB. So headers are stored on disk and imported as quickly as possible. (N) in the cache line tells you import status.

Thank you again for the explanation. I have learned so much watching this support forum and Quade and Dex have always been there. Been with you for almost 13 years and appreciate everything that you guys have done for us.
kirm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support