Various issues with 6.71B1

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Various issues with 6.71B1

Postby OldGuyWalking » Fri May 27, 2016 4:17 am

I'm on the most recent published Beta (6.71B1).

1. Old issue - The Hide Idle/Old filter does not work consistently.
2. Old issue - Sorting on the Status: in the Search screen does not sort properly.
3. New issue - Attempting to download a file that appears to be whole and complete (no "Incomplete" status). During download the "Current Progress" shows red. No error messages in the Log. This happened once before a couple of versions ago. What worked for me then was downloading each piece separtely including all par files. This time it didn't work. Other files selected for download at the same time downloaded with no problem. It's only happened twice.
4. New issue - I have a filter profile set for miscellaneous extensions that I used to display and then mark old extensions I don't want to see in a list (.exe, .nzb, etc.). It's worked for months. After I installed the latest version that particular filter profile would not work. I went into the profile and entered every item into the Test entry field and got a "rejection" message. I deleted the profile and re-built it. When I used the Test field it accepted the entries. But once I used the filter it stopped working again and going back into the profile and entered items into the Test field it again said the entries were rejected. The original profile name was "Misc Extensions". The recreated profile name was "Miscellaneous Extensions". I haven't checked every other filter profile but the one's I used most often appear to be working fine.

I can search, for example, a.b.teevee@EffNet in the Subject. I can copy and paste the following into the search field (without hitting enter of course) and it appears to filter the list just fine. This is the same list in the Filter Profile. All of the entries are Accept If in the profile.

[.]par2|[.]txt|\-sub|\.bat\"|\.bmp|\.exe|\.gif|\.htm|\.jpe|\.jpeg|\.jpg|\.m3u|\.md5|\.nfo|\.nzb|\.par2|\.par[^A-Za-z0-9]|\.png|\.r[0-9][0-9]|\.scr|\.sfv|\.srr|\.srs|\.srt|\.sv|\.torrent|\.ufo|\.url|\.wax

Best Regards,
Bill
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/14/06

Re: Various issues with 6.71B1

Postby CoolStream » Fri May 27, 2016 8:19 am

I have had to go back to 6.70 because every download stalls with the following multiple errors (VIRGIN is the server name):

[12:11:40] ERROR Server:VIRGINSendCommand - failed Status Response From server: 400 unrecognized command

Going back to 6.70 picks up the 'old' failed downloads and grabs them without any problem.

I'll go back to 6.71 and provide a more detailed log if required :wink:
CoolStream
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Fri May 27, 2016 1:34 pm

I have had to go back to 6.70 because every download stalls with the following multiple errors (VIRGIN is the server nam

You just need to disable "XFeatures" in the server advanced options. What changed is that 6.70 disabled it for you automatically and the current beta doesn't.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby CoolStream » Fri May 27, 2016 2:57 pm

Thanks for the prompt response.

I can confirm that the option you mentioned (in the 'Really Advanced' section) has indeed solved the problem.

Many thanks!!
CoolStream
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Tarkus » Tue May 31, 2016 4:23 pm

Quade wrote:
I have had to go back to 6.70 because every download stalls with the following multiple errors (VIRGIN is the server nam

You just need to disable "XFeatures" in the server advanced options. What changed is that 6.70 disabled it for you automatically and the current beta doesn't.

I am not getting same error but the performance is incredibly laggy. Would the XFeatures function have a similar effect?
Tarkus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/16/03

Postby Quade » Tue May 31, 2016 5:29 pm

Laggy doing what? Are you running B2 yet? I recommend it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Tarkus » Tue May 31, 2016 5:51 pm

Quade wrote:Laggy doing what? Are you running B2 yet? I recommend it.

Lagging when it processes a group after downloading the headers and in general. Sorry this is 6.71B2.
Tarkus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/16/03

Postby OldGuyWalking » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:56 am

Just a note - None of the issues I noted below for 6.7B1 were resolved in 6.71B2.
Additioal UI Issues -
Watch Topics

Opening a Watch Topic to Delete (it would be nice if it was an option available from the right-click menu in the Group Lists) the Watch Topic is displayed in the right screen but it's not selected in the list. Pressing Delete Topic doesn't appear to delete anything unless the user selects that Watch Topic. Would expect it to have done that if the user opens the property of a Watch Topic.

ReScan Topic - Changing the Scan Days field doesn't filter the number of records returned. Changed the Scan Days to 1, then 5, 10, and 100 and hit rescan and it returned the same number of records each time. Number it is returned is still doubled by the way.

Watch Topics returns IDLE/OLD and Poster Filtered records. Could some options be set so that Hide/Old and Ignore Filtered Posters could be the default. Opening a Watch List that shows it found records only to discover that they are all old or from Posters that I wanted blocked is tedious.

There's a few other issues but if none of these are going to be addressed (commented on, etc.) let me know and I'll be more than happy to stop reporting them.

Thanks, Bill
-----------------------------------------------------------------
NB Version 6.71B2
Windows 7 x64 Pro SP 1; Intel Core i5 Quad 3.40GHz; 32 GB DDR3 RAM; GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB; Seagate Serial ATA, 1TB, 7200RPM, 512GB SSD
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/14/06

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:10 am

You're right I dropped the ball.

1. Old issue - The Hide Idle/Old filter does not work consistently.

I'm not seeing any issue with it. Maybe more details.

2. Old issue - Sorting on the Status: in the Search screen does not sort properly.

It might not be working the way you expect but it seems to be consistent here. Files with PARS are sorted into a different group than files that don't have pars. Maybe that's what you're seeing.

3. New issue - Attempting to download a file that appears to be whole and complete (no "Incomplete" status). During download the "Current Progress" shows red. No error messages in the Log. This happened once before a couple of versions ago. What worked for me then was downloading each piece separtely including all par files. This time it didn't work. Other files selected for download at the same time downloaded with no problem. It's only happened twice.

Maybe the beta isn't logging. "Complete" just means all the data is there. It doesn't mean the server can deliver it. Typically when a complete file shows red, it means that there were errors during the download. Meaning it's not a completion issue on Newsbin's side. Might be worth forcing a retry and see if some of the reds switch to downloaded. If you only have one server, any failure to download will result in some reds. That's why it always does a couple retries.

4. New issue - I have a filter profile set for miscellaneous extensions that I used to display and then mark old extensions I don't want to see in a list (.exe, .nzb, etc.). It's worked for months. After I installed the latest version that particular filter profile would not work. I went into the profile and entered every item into the Test entry field and got a "rejection" message. I deleted the profile and re-built it. When I used the Test field it accepted the entries. But once I used the filter it stopped working again and going back into the profile and entered items into the Test field it again said the entries were rejected. The original profile name was "Misc Extensions". The recreated profile name was "Miscellaneous Extensions". I haven't checked every other filter profile but the one's I used most often appear to be working fine.

It's a bit more work but you might want to add each extension one at a time to the list of filters. Newsbin will combine them together with an OR internally. I don't typically use a large RE like but instead use a number of smaller one. You can also then disable individual filters to help track down problematic ones.

Newsbin RE's are always case independent so, you might want to remove the "A-Zz-z" parts because they're not needed.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:19 am

Opening a Watch Topic to Delete (it would be nice if it was an option available from the right-click menu in the Group Lists) the Watch Topic is displayed in the right screen but it's not selected in the list. Pressing Delete Topic doesn't appear to delete anything unless the user selects that Watch Topic. Would expect it to have done that if the user opens the property of a Watch Topic.

I'm not clear what you're trying to delete.

ReScan Topic - Changing the Scan Days field doesn't filter the number of records returned. Changed the Scan Days to 1, then 5, 10, and 100 and hit rescan and it returned the same number of records each time. Number it is returned is still doubled by the way.

Rescan doesn't delete the existing record so, if you already have something in the watch list, re-scan can only add to it. If you want a clean rescan you have to delete the stored posts first. I just tested in B3 with a 30 day rescan and it just returned 30 days worth of results (using headers). I didn't test search.

Watch Topics returns IDLE/OLD and Poster Filtered records. Could some options be set so that Hide/Old and Ignore Filtered Posters could be the default. Opening a Watch List that shows it found records only to discover that they are all old or from Posters that I wanted blocked is tedious.

Assuming you're just downloading headers and not re-scanning, the only thing that gets added to the watch list is new search items or headers from a current header download. Rescan is a trouble-shooting tool. It's not something you're supposed to use every day. You know you can filter IN just the posters you like too right? Filter in is much better than trying to filter out.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support