Header Download Strangeness

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Header Download Strangeness

Postby ppan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:44 am

I wanted to completely download new headers for one particular group. "alt.mygroup". I forgot to first delete the old headers ("Post Storage/Delete Stored Posts"). Instead I just right-clicked on the group and selected "Download Special/Download All Headers". The download list then showed the download path "spool\alt.mygroup" as the headers were slowly downloading.

However, when I look in the particular spool\alt.mygroup goup folder on my hard drive, it only contains a 12 KB file, Range.db3, and the Storage.db3 is not created during download.

Strangely, as alt.mygroup was downloading, many other groups (but not all!) were instead updating and the Storage.db3 for those groups was growing even though the groups had not been selected to be updated and they do not show up in the download list!? The Groups list also shows that they are being updated. Why is that?

After the download of alt.mygroup was completed (per the download list), the Storage.db3 was then created and then very, very slowly increased in size.

Please explain what is happening (and where is the data for alt.mygroup and the Storage.db3 file coming from. Is there a temp file somewhere?)
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/24/09

Re: Header Download Strangeness

Postby Quade » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:15 pm

Please explain what is happening (and where is the data for alt.mygroup and the Storage.db3 file coming from. Is there a temp file somewhere?)

Yeah, no idea. First headers are written to disk, then imported into the group. You can see the files in the import folder. The name of group that gets fed is the name of the group of the GZ file in the import folder.

Sounds like there were already GZ files in the import folder which were getting imported.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support