Version 6.80 Release Candidate 3 Available...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Version 6.80 Release Candidate 3 Available...

Postby dexter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:27 am

Getting closer to final release. This one has a few more tweaks. We have one more esoteric issue to track down involving a thread crash when downloading certain content. Seems to be pretty rare and we are having a tough time recreating it. If you are seeing this and can recreate at will, please let us know. Newsbin keeps running, you will see an error message pop up though.

Summary of changes:
  • Restrict NZB Filename size to 60 chars in $(NZBFILE) to prevent excessive path growth.
  • Restrict Obscure file rename size to 60 chars to prevent excessive path growth.
  • Don't remove the NZB Password from $(NZBFILE)
  • Added more logging of periodic seach thread for troubleshooting purposes
The full change history and the download link is on the Newsbin Beta Page.

If you find any issues, please reply to this thread or use our Technical Support Contact Form.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Version 6.80 Release Candidate 3 Available...

Postby Pinion_13 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Advanced options to choose database modes for performance or reliability.

Is that somewhere in the options? I don't see it.
Pinion_13
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/26/08

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:52 pm

You'd have to add it to the NBI by hand.

[PERFORMANCE]
DatabaseMode=X

4 turns off journaling.

1 and 2 just enable Journal or WAL mode. 3 - make it use memory for journaling which is probably no better than 4.

I'd probably would just leave this setting alone.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Benjy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:35 pm

The watched topics still seem to trigger randomly after an app start (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't...).

Also, there's a bug that affects everything outside of Newsbin's window when a row is selected that for some reason I can't get a screenshot of... so here is a Photoshop of what it looks like (and it goes on the full screen width, like an overlay of sorts):
Benjy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/14/14

Postby johnisme » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:24 am

Hi,i did a fresh install of windows 7 and installed the newest newsbinpro c3 and applied my registered key and it keep bringing up the motd even though it's turned off and when i do a search it keeps saying 'enjoy your free search' even though i have a subscription,any quick file delete i can do to fix this?
johnisme
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/22/07

Postby dexter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:58 pm

johnisme wrote:Hi,i did a fresh install of windows 7 and installed the newest newsbinpro c3 and applied my registered key and it keep bringing up the motd even though it's turned off and when i do a search it keeps saying 'enjoy your free search' even though i have a subscription,any quick file delete i can do to fix this?

Did you restart Newsbin after submitting your key info? Did you see any error messages when submitting your key? If Newsbin is not registered properly, it won't recognize your subscription and it will not honor the "Show MOTD" setting.

We've also had cases where some security software may conflict with the registration process. Might need to look into that as well.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:04 pm

Also, there's a bug that affects everything outside of Newsbin's window

Can you describe this more? Anything outside of Newsbin's main windows, and any detached pages, falls outside of the scope of something I can probably fix.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby johnisme » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:13 pm

I found the issue,i had reinstalled windows 7(different issue) and imported my settings for newsbin pro 6.80 rc3 amd checked the about tab and it said i was registered,so i went to help/register update my key and it gives this message-Registration Failed with error Registration Failed - Can't Contact Server so i shut off my firewall but no difference then i installed v6.73 and it registers with no issue and no motd and search works as usual,then i upated it to 6.80 rc3 and even though its still registered it has the same error message trying to re-register.
johnisme
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/22/07

Postby Benjy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:15 pm

Quade wrote:
Also, there's a bug that affects everything outside of Newsbin's window

Can you describe this more? Anything outside of Newsbin's main windows, and any detached pages, falls outside of the scope of something I can probably fix.

Not in any more details than my "screenshot". And as you can see in it, it starts inside Newsbin's window (on the right side dark blue area). It clearly comes from the UI library used because no other Windows app with lists does this.
Benjy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:53 pm

I found the issue,

Mines failing too. Thanks for the report. It's an insta-fail so I'm pretty sure it's a code problem.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:58 pm

Not in any more details than my "screenshot".

I'm guessing you're seeing lines outside of Newsbin's window proper. If that's the case, I'd say it's a windows/driver problem. Thinking about it. I wonder if you have windows set to draw shadows around the windows. If that' the case, you might be seeing windows drawing a shadow that includes some aspects of the window.,
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Benjy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:34 pm

Quade wrote:
Not in any more details than my "screenshot".

I'm guessing you're seeing lines outside of Newsbin's window proper. If that's the case, I'd say it's a windows/driver problem. Thinking about it. I wonder if you have windows set to draw shadows around the windows. If that' the case, you might be seeing windows drawing a shadow that includes some aspects of the window.,

As I said, dotted lines are also being drawn inside Newsbin's window: Image
If I move the window around, the dotted lines (which span the entire width of the screen) move along. This is clearly emanating from the list element of Newsbin, as it occurs with no other app and never occured with any previous Newsbin release (or at least I didn't spot it earlier).

EDIT: here's a video: https://sendvid.com/zab112lp
EDIT2: it also happens with qBittorrent on the log tab, which is similar to Newsbin because it's a list and the active element gets a different background AND a dotted border, the latter being the cause of the problem (I'm guessing disabling it might solve the bug). Maybe you both use the same UI SDK, I don't know. Office 365 has similar widgets (with dotted borders) and doesn't have the problem. Other apps I tested don't use a dotted border and don't have this problem.
Benjy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:15 pm

If I move the window around, the dotted lines (which span the entire width of the screen) move along. This is clearly emanating from the list element of Newsbin, as it occurs with no other app and never occured with any previous Newsbin release (or at least I didn't spot it earlier).

Newsbin simply has no control of this. It's been using the same graphics library for at least 2 years now. The graphics lib just uses standard windows calls too.

Is this a standard monitor plugged into DVI or HDMI? It's not some USB to video adapter thing is it? You're not going through remote desktop or using Wine?

I want to be clear that this isn't something that can be fixed in software. It's something specifically with setup.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Benjy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:15 pm

My setup hasn't changed in more than 6 months: GTX1070, displayport, screen (144Hz but the bug occurs at 60 Hz too).
It's nothing fatal like a BSOD or a crash but I find it odd.

Last example, in the options / NZB options, the watched folders list is (I think) the same UI element and it doesn't trigger the bug (although it has dotted borders on the active element...).
Benjy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:25 pm

Last example, in the options / NZB options, the watched folders list is (I think) the same UI element and it doesn't trigger the bug (although it has dotted borders on the active element...).

All the lists use exactly the same control. The ListView it's a common control supplied by windows.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dexter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:26 pm

Quade and I don't see it. And nobody else is chiming in so it doesn't sound like anyone else sees it either. The fact that you observe this with qBittorrent as well proves it is not a Newsbin problem. Maybe you did a windows update recently that updated some video drivers that don't play well with some of the graphics elements used in both qBittorrent and Newsbin.

Have you tried to recreate this on a different machine?

As you point out, it is cosmetic. We are inclined not to spend any more time on this.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Benjy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:29 pm

dexter wrote:As you point out, it is cosmetic. We are inclined not to spend any more time on this.

No problem. I think it's coming from my display as changing the window's width dims the dots and it can't be seen in a screenshot.
Thanks for looking at this!
Benjy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support