[v6.80RC4] Registration routine buggy?

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

[v6.80RC4] Registration routine buggy?

Postby Wildfire » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:52 pm

Probably it's a wider issue, but I just installed 6.80RC4 and entered my registration info. Newsbin came back with an error "Registration Failed with error Registration Failed - Can't Contact Server"

This is a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro (Fall Creators Update, fully up to date), with no additional security software which could be blocking it. I verified with Windows Firewall to ensure NewsBin Pro has access and it is indeed not blocked in the firewall.

Is this a beta issue, or a wider issue?

-- UPDATE: It probably is an issue with this beta release, as it appears that the registration does process succesfully although the error message would suggest otherwise.
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/12/03

Re: [v6.80RC4] Registration routine buggy?

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:09 pm

Yeah, you have to register an earlier version first. I've already fixed but it's not a public version yet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Wildfire » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:52 am

Quade wrote:Yeah, you have to register an earlier version first. I've already fixed but it's not a public version yet.

Previously I had a registered 6.80RC2 on my system. But I think you mean it doesn't apply to a freshly installed system, the previously registered version needed to be installed to the same install of Windows, correct?
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby dexter » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:06 am

Due to this bug, 6.80RC4 cannot be registered on a freshly installed system. If it is used to upgrade from a previously registered version of Newsbin (beta or not), it does retain the registration.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wildfire » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:39 am

dexter wrote:Due to this bug, 6.80RC4 cannot be registered on a freshly installed system. If it is used to upgrade from a previously registered version of Newsbin (beta or not), it does retain the registration.

Incorrect: it CAN be registered on a freshly installed system. Newsbin will say registration failed because it could not contact the server, but afterwards it IS registered.
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby dexter » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Wildfire wrote:
dexter wrote:Due to this bug, 6.80RC4 cannot be registered on a freshly installed system. If it is used to upgrade from a previously registered version of Newsbin (beta or not), it does retain the registration.

Incorrect: it CAN be registered on a freshly installed system. Newsbin will say registration failed because it could not contact the server, but afterwards it IS registered.

It will appear to be registered but it is not complete. There is another component to the registration process that is failing. It doesn't matter to the end user so it's a moot point.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wildfire » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:39 pm

dexter wrote:
Wildfire wrote:

It will appear to be registered but it is not complete. There is another component to the registration process that is failing. It doesn't matter to the end user so it's a moot point.

Thanks for the info.

Just for the heck of it, I installed v6.73 and finished registration with that version. Afterwards I installed 6.80RC4 again.

By the way, thank you very much for the continued great efforts on Newsbin Pro. After all these years it's still my main go-to program for Usenet downloading. Much appreciated! :)
Wildfire
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support